Why are there no topics or sections about the drivers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Re: Why are there no topics or sections about the drivers?

I'm happy with the management's choice regarding this.

After politics and religion, sport brings out the worst in people. This is nowhere more evident in race and team threads, as has been mentioned. The last thing we want is more of the same fan nonsense in driver specific threads. Inevitably that stuff spills over into the more technical threads and the mods have to step in and it is just irritating and not fitting for a technical forum.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

henry wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 19:55
johnny comelately wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 15:26
Why?
Are they looked at as not significant enough to warrant discussion about....character, training regime, history, contract matrices etc, contribution to the team or development and why etc etc
These things are mentioned spasmodically but they are solid enough for their own discussion.
Over in the MotoGP thread you said:
johnny comelately wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 15:33
It brings up the old question, (in races) : in the troglodyte years Cars were 80% car and 20% driver with bikes being the opposite, what are the percentages now? Cars = 90% car 10% driver; Bikes 40% bike and 60% rider
Does that answer your question?
Bit of a trap there Henry: the two do not correlate.

Whatever the percentage is for drivers it represents the area that contains all the interesting effect they have via development input, relative training regime, contract matrices, psyche in detail and how that relates to the technical, etc etc. The ratio to technical in the overall performance is immaterial.

Basically from what I can gather from most of the replies is that there is not enough maturity with some of the posters in here to conduct such a discussion.

So that probably leaves data analysis and how that affects setup.

Sebp

There's the fanboy yinyang thread if you want to know where this would lead. :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7520&start=1005&hilit=fanboy
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

henry

johnny comelately wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 01:27
henry wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 19:55
johnny comelately wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 15:26
Why?
Are they looked at as not significant enough to warrant discussion about....character, training regime, history, contract matrices etc, contribution to the team or development and why etc etc
These things are mentioned spasmodically but they are solid enough for their own discussion.
Over in the MotoGP thread you said:
johnny comelately wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 15:33
It brings up the old question, (in races) : in the troglodyte years Cars were 80% car and 20% driver with bikes being the opposite, what are the percentages now? Cars = 90% car 10% driver; Bikes 40% bike and 60% rider
Does that answer your question?
Bit of a trap there Henry: the two do not correlate.

Whatever the percentage is for drivers it represents the area that contains all the interesting effect they have via development input, relative training regime, contract matrices, psyche in detail and how that relates to the technical, etc etc. The ratio to technical in the overall performance is immaterial.

Basically from what I can gather from most of the replies is that there is not enough maturity with some of the posters in here to conduct such a discussion.

So that probably leaves data analysis and how that affects setup.
It’s about signal to noise.

If we assume drivers affect 10% of performance. We might further assume they vary by 10%, which looking at other, non equipment based, sports might be the difference between the best and worst (in general I would suggest it’s much closer than that). That’s a 1% difference in outcome signal. Discussing how they vary that 1% would likely result in pure noise. To my eyes that has been the experience on this forum.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

If we assume drivers affect 10% of performance. We might further assume they vary by 10%, which looking at other, non equipment based, sports might be the difference between the best and worst (in general I would suggest it’s much closer than that). That’s a 1% difference in outcome signal. Discussing how they vary that 1% would likely result in pure noise. To my eyes that has been the experience on this forum.
[/quote]

Yes, filters required :wink:

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Actually, it seems fair to remark that certain drivers 'suit' certain teams/car designs for a 'synergy' of.. ..results/success..

However, this of course results in emotive discourse - which seemingly inevitably debases..
..& derails.. matters.. at the valid technical discussion level..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

henry

johnny comelately wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 10:43

Yes, filters required :wink:
[/quote]

I would suggest no pass works pretty well.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

djones
djones

I think its a short sighted idea to not have driver topics. And for a number of reasons:

1. It pushes people to other forums.
2. The less people on here and the less threads, the less MONEY is made from advertising!
3. There is no reason why not to have it. It's a public forum and its not like it costs more money to have extra pages.
4. The moderators enjoy feeling like they have power, so let them do more of what they enjoy.

And this argument about it being called F1 Technical so its only F1 related technical things is hilarious. We have sections for engineering, road card and other race series... and off topic chat.

Maritimer
Maritimer

Some of us don't care about drivers and those that do like to fight about it. Not productive material.

Andres125sx

While I mostly agree with all the reasons exposed here, I find something a bit demagogic...

What about speculation theads? They, by definition, can´t offer any technical analysis or debate, yet they exist in F1T

Livery threads? I can´t imagine anyone defending a livery is any more technical than drivers, yet they exist in F1T

And what about silly season threads? No comments needed

I perfectly understand those saying F1T is a technical site and they´d hate that sort of threads but, do you like 100% of the threads here? I guess no you don´t, but that probably is far from a problem for you, since the good thing about forums is you don´t need to read it all, do not click on threads you don´t like, and problem solved

Any reason drivers threads would be any different? I don´t like several threads or even sub-forums, but it´s as easy as not clicking on them. The only real reason I can find is the extra work for moderators

djones
djones

Maritimer wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 17:25
Some of us don't care about drivers and those that do like to fight about it. Not productive material.
Dead easy fix for this!

Don't open the subjects you don't want to read or take part in #-o

Big Mangalhit

Yup, we have caption competion threads and all other funny threads which I'm 100% in agreement, yet driver thread are too much for this site. I understand that they would be very very toxic and uncontrollable but I also think this site takes itself WAAAAAY too seriously. Just look at how the mods generally love to overpolice stuff. While saying this I understand that it is a very hard job to do and keep balance between censorship and utter chaos.
But maybe driver threads would be a good place for people to go there and vent their frustrations thus leaving the race threads cleaner. Even if they would be toxic AF it just every hater job to not go in there then. I hate this overoffended attitude of people when they can just ignore and move on, it's like they look for drama and then complain there is too much drama in there, just move along.

Steven
Owner

Big Mangalhit wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 18:24
Yup, we have caption competion threads and all other funny threads which I'm 100% in agreement, yet driver thread are too much for this site. I understand that they would be very very toxic and uncontrollable but I also think this site takes itself WAAAAAY too seriously. Just look at how the mods generally love to overpolice stuff. While saying this I understand that it is a very hard job to do and keep balance between censorship and utter chaos.
Well, we don't "like" to overpolice, it's extra work. In fact, the dream of each moderator is to have nothing to do, and instead have time to post along in the thread. If you have specific examples of overly strict moderation, I'd be happy to discuss that, and encourage you to bring that to the moderators' or my attention.

Also, amidst facebook's poking and liking, twitter idiots and snapchat, it can't hurt to try to keep it somewhat sane around here. I might be getting old, but I keep being amazed what people continue to put online these days. I'm happy it's better around here.

Finally, as mentioned before, driver threads are not banned. It's allowed, and when one is started with reasonable intentions (not including "lewis hamilton is a boss", or "rosberg is a crybaby", because we've been through that before), it is usually left open, but more often that not, people cannot avoid feeling personally touched when their favourite driver is involved, and that's when things get messy. If everybody would be reasonable enough, there would be no problem, with any topic at all.

For those who want driver threads... tell me, what would be a useful topic in your opinion?

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

I don't want driver threads. If they exist then I'd have to say the most obvious topics would be things like driving style and how it suits or doesn't certain set up and engineering choices made by teams. Possible effects of driving style on reliability and such. I think you get the idea.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Steven wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 21:03
Big Mangalhit wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 18:24
Well, we don't "like" to overpolice, it's extra work. In fact, the dream of each moderator is to have nothing to do, and instead have time to post along in the thread. If you have specific examples of overly strict moderation, I'd be happy to discuss that, and encourage you to bring that to the moderators' or my attention.

Also, amidst facebook's poking and liking, twitter idiots and snapchat, it can't hurt to try to keep it somewhat sane around here. I might be getting old, but I keep being amazed what people continue to put online these days. I'm happy it's better around here.

Finally, as mentioned before, driver threads are not banned. It's allowed, and when one is started with reasonable intentions (not including "lewis hamilton is a boss", or "rosberg is a crybaby", because we've been through that before), it is usually left open, but more often that not, people cannot avoid feeling personally touched when their favourite driver is involved, and that's when things get messy. If everybody would be reasonable enough, there would be no problem, with any topic at all.

For those who want driver threads... tell me, what would be a useful topic in your opinion?
For example, here is a tremendous article on training - http://uk.businessinsider.com/work-out- ... our-core-7

And I would like the phone number of the lady who makes the McLaren bloke's shirts just that little bit too small :wink: