Why are there no topics or sections about the drivers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Mangalhit

Re: Why are there no topics or sections about the drivers?

Steven wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 21:03
Big Mangalhit wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 18:24
Yup, we have caption competion threads and all other funny threads which I'm 100% in agreement, yet driver thread are too much for this site. I understand that they would be very very toxic and uncontrollable but I also think this site takes itself WAAAAAY too seriously. Just look at how the mods generally love to overpolice stuff. While saying this I understand that it is a very hard job to do and keep balance between censorship and utter chaos.
Well, we don't "like" to overpolice, it's extra work. In fact, the dream of each moderator is to have nothing to do, and instead have time to post along in the thread. If you have specific examples of overly strict moderation, I'd be happy to discuss that, and encourage you to bring that to the moderators' or my attention.

Also, amidst facebook's poking and liking, twitter idiots and snapchat, it can't hurt to try to keep it somewhat sane around here. I might be getting old, but I keep being amazed what people continue to put online these days. I'm happy it's better around here.

Finally, as mentioned before, driver threads are not banned. It's allowed, and when one is started with reasonable intentions (not including "lewis hamilton is a boss", or "rosberg is a crybaby", because we've been through that before), it is usually left open, but more often that not, people cannot avoid feeling personally touched when their favourite driver is involved, and that's when things get messy. If everybody would be reasonable enough, there would be no problem, with any topic at all.

For those who want driver threads... tell me, what would be a useful topic in your opinion?

It's all a matter of taste, I generally like a more liberal forum cause I can just ignore the things and don't like and move on, it's not like they are imposed at me and I don't need protection from them, also I think there is the voting system ect...
Tbh I would not even open one of those driver threads probably, I know how they would turn out so it's not like I want them.
But this is all a balance between a free for all fb/twitter anarchy and an overcontrolled place where not even opinions are allowed and nobody will agree exactly in terms of where should the line fall so you gotta set it as you want it.
But if it was me doing it I think I would be a bit more loose with people starting some relevant, albeit off topic discussions on topics. If it is bringing information I don't see the arm except in organisation ofc. But for that I think a great solution would be to implement a "favourite button". I wish this site had the option to tag some posts as favourites for lather easiness to find... but I guess this is ironically off-topic

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Big Mangalhit wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 10:29
It's all a matter of taste, I generally like a more liberal forum cause I can just ignore the things and don't like and move on, it's not like they are imposed at me and I don't need protection from them, also I think there is the voting system ect...
Tbh I would not even open one of those driver threads probably, I know how they would turn out so it's not like I want them.
But this is all a balance between a free for all fb/twitter anarchy and an overcontrolled place where not even opinions are allowed and nobody will agree exactly in terms of where should the line fall so you gotta set it as you want it.
But if it was me doing it I think I would be a bit more loose with people starting some relevant, albeit off topic discussions on topics. If it is bringing information I don't see the arm except in organisation ofc. But for that I think a great solution would be to implement a "favourite button". I wish this site had the option to tag some posts as favourites for lather easiness to find... but I guess this is ironically off-topic
The problem often lies with those people who can't ignore bullshit as easily. I've been in forums where the moderation has been too relaxed and bad elements have just ended up driving off the good. Didn't the user Wazari get driven off briefly by people harassing him? Of course he is back now though.

I would really like a way to block certain threads or categories though. That would be more useful then blocking certain users, which I've never seen as very useful.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 01:18
johnny comelately wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 23:04
"Carlos Sainz Jr and Max Verstappen have slightly different styles. Sainz is right on the edge and corners go on a fraction longer for him. He relies a more on on-the-edge car control that occasionally catches him out.

Verstappen creates little flatspots on the car; you can see he really concentrates on the rates of decrease of brake pressure, and angling into the corner he's very, very clever. If Sainz was just a little squarer in his approach he wouldn't rely on car control as much and would probably go slightly quicker.

Verstappen seems able to rotate his car sooner, whereas Sainz's rotation is a little later in the corner and requires more control towards the exit. You can achieve pretty much the same laptime, except Sainz is probably having to correct things a little bit more.

Jenson Button has what is termed a classical style and concentrates very hard on the geometry of the corner. He has really nice rates of input but probably needs a well balanced car for that.
On nice geometric lines you have corners that go on a little bit longer, and if you have an issue with the car that problem will be apparent for a greater percentage of the lap, whereas if someone is manipulating a shorter corner it will be smaller. If you have a sore left foot and walk around an oblong, you wouldn't make it a circle you'd go to the end, a short right, a short right, a short right. It might not be geometrically as nice but it would protect your sore foot!

Button is locked into his pattern and has great success with it - he's proved to be very competitive with Fernando Alonso. We know ultimately people will kill to have Lewis Hamilton in the seat, and in the past Alonso, whereas Jenson's not quite as in demand because people know he may not deliver over a decade what the other two might. But he's comfortable in his skin and has found a way of being successful most of the time.

Nico Rosberg is more calculating, whereas Lewis's main gift is his relationship with the surface. When he's settled he's got a little more adhesion and he'll introduce the car to every dynamic in a slightly more natural way. He'll always do that, whereas Nico will remind himself to do it.

Kimi Raikkonen has a great feel between the throttle and the surface in that he can just find the right amount of throttle as the weight comes down on the driving wheels. It's magical, but camouflaged a bit in F1 now by turbo variations - he got caught out a little when the turbo came up a few times in the last couple of years. His style's also very good for making very short corners, and he's very good in terms of weight transfer. When he maximises all that he goes very well.

Sebastian Vettel has a slightly later turn - it's all about the exit now. You need very good grip for that rotation not to turn into oversteer, which is why he's sensitive to the rear stability of the car.

Hamilton or Raikkonen will introduce the car for longer going into the corner, but on that long right-hander near the end of Barcelona Vettel will always hang out a little bit and rotate later. Lewis or Kimi will roll it in on the inside and gradually build up a feel for the car in doing that.
There is a driver style and preferences thread. It is still open. We have a crop of new drivers so you should have new content (though these regulations hide the drivers styles).
Goodo, could you just post the link please.
I did a search, must have been a bloke look
and then all the flak about 'we dont want driver' talk, i assumed there wasnt any

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Please, people, do some editing of your posts when quoting. Constantly quoting entire posts by others is ridiculous. If you want to nest quotes and they are more than a paragraph, cut out irrelevant bits or delete all but the first paragraph and add [...] at the end of that one. That way we don't have to keep seeing the same huge blocks of text post after post. Trying to read this forum on a phone, for example, becomes an exercise in finding the new words amongst the masses of quoted text.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 20:57
Sieper wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 20:07
No, I really think he saw it coming, or at the very least kept it in the back of his head the possibility. It wasn’t the first time last season Kimi was overly agressive at the start. he knows Verstappen wont back down to easily and Vettel always thinks he is in the right. Hamilton knows this as well or better then I.
Maybe you should watch the crash scene again. At no point did Hamilton avoid the crash purposely. He was just lucky to have not been in the action upfront.

"Vettel always thinks he is in the right." - How does this even correlate with the crash? If there was a driver in fault, this surely was not Vettel. His line was perfectly normal.
If you need any clearer example as to why there are no driver threads, I guess this would be the poster child. There were 60 pages after Baku last year of people explaining why Vettel pulling up along Hamilton and hitting him was a simply mistake where his hand slipped off the wheel.
Last edited by TAG on 21 Mar 2018, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

TAG wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 16:12
If you need any clearer example as to why there are no driver threads, I guess this would be the poster child. There were 60 pages after Baku last year of people explaining why Vettel pulling up along Hamilton hand hitting him was a simply mistake where his hand slipped off the wheel.
I second this!
197 104 103 7

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Driver hot race preparation, Mark Webber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUm0ULIhg_A

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

A comparative account regarding F1 and in particular Lewis Hamilton's contract, it's all to do with the size of the pie and how much one can have of it.

from - https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinas ... 9e309a598b

Ronaldo made $49 million in salary and bonus alone, the most any player made on the pitch, doing something Beckham never did. The Portuguese winger scored at a ratio over a goal a game, netting 62 goals in 52 games for his club and country, and became the quickest Real Madrid player to reach 200 goals. His reward? A 5-year contract and raise worth a record $206 million signed in September of last year and the most votes to win the 2013 Ballon d’Or.

It is a hefty salary for any league in any sport in all the world. But Real Madrid, ranked the most valuable soccer team at $3.4 billion, can afford it. His club generated $675 million in revenue last year and turned a profit of $172 million.
To date it has stayed within UEFA’s newly instituted Financial Fair Play rules that keep teams from spending in excess of their earnings. But even if they were in violation, it would be hard to blame them for signing Ronaldo’s paycheck.

“Football clubs are generally focused on winning matches rather than maximising profit, and there is a clear correlation between wage bill and on field success,” said Dan Jones, a partner in the Sports Business Group at Deloitte and author of its Annual Review Of Football Finances. “It is a highly competitive market and teams will always pay as much as they can afford in wages. So as long as revenue increases so will wages.”

OF INTEREST ONLY-
from - https://www.crunch.co.uk/knowledge/tax/ ... rage-wage/

If a salary cap was introduced for footballers, it wouldn’t be the first time. In 1901 the Football League introduced a maximum weekly wage for players of £4 (about £417 today), which was based on the average national wage at the time. This wage cap stayed in place until 1961, when it was abolished under threat of strike action from the Professional Footballers’ Association.