Roland Ratzenberger – 24 Years On

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
alesifan
alesifan

Roland Ratzenberger – 24 Years On

Willem Toet has kindly shared this Roland Ratzenberger article on his Linkedin page;https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/roland-r ... llem-toet/
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting the 1994 Benetton/Schumacher cheating allegations & politics

Website; www.1994f1.com

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Roland Ratzenberger – 24 Years On

Thanks for sharing. A nice little post by Willem that remembers the "ordinary guy" that also died that weekend. Everyone remembers Senna's death but not Roland's.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

alesifan
alesifan

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 May 2018, 10:27
Thanks for sharing. A nice little post by Willem that remembers the "ordinary guy" that also died that weekend. Everyone remembers Senna's death but not Roland's.
Pleasure :)

Willem's also shared another article today on Senna; https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ayrton-s ... llem-toet/
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting the 1994 Benetton/Schumacher cheating allegations & politics

Website; www.1994f1.com

tinvek
tinvek

i always get anoyed this time of year at all the senna posts on social media but hardly anyone mentions Roland.

i had the pleasure of meeting him at Oulton Park, and spent an enjoyable 30 mins over a drink with him comparing notes on how many jokes were made about our respective names thanks to a certain 2 puppets

i called at demon tweaks once when the BMW was in the shop / showroom, i wasn't expecting it and had to go back outside for a couple of minutes to compose myself after seeing his name

R.I.P. Roland

santos
santos

It's normal that people remember that day because of Senna and "forget" about Roland. But the fans of F1, specially the ones that were watching in place or in the TV, they won't Forget about that weekend. That weekend didn't just change F1, it changed every motorsport category. Today we can say that the death of these two mens were not in vain.
Tracks now are safer, the safety requirements are higher. All due to that tragic day.
So, when people talk about that the halo looks bad, or that the tracks got easier... remember, that drivers are humans. I'm watching F1 for the race, not to see another weekend like Imola 1994.

Stef
Stef

Without Senna's death, i think Ratzenberger's would be even less remembered. They are associated forever.

sennafan68
sennafan68

Sky TV re-ran a great program ' my last team mate ' with both Damon Hill and David Brabham. It was a very sensitive program that remembered Roland very well. I will always think of him in May every year. A truly dreadful weekend that is indeed remembered by most because of Senna but for those who follow F1 more closely the awful accident suffered by Roland will be strong in their memories.