2018 Azerbaijan GP - Verstappen, Ricciardo clash

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MtthsMlw

2018 Azerbaijan GP - Verstappen, Ricciardo clash

Running even more rake than usual.

I'm sorry.

JonoNic

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

MtthsMlw wrote:Running even more rake than usual.

I'm sorry.
It's causing lift. No good
Always find the gap then use it.

bdr529

MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 19:20
Running even more rake than usual.

https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ull-ra.jpg
I'm sorry.
I just assumed it was mating season, but your right it does look a little rakish

Dazed1
Dazed1

One would assume the price for Red Bull to keep Ricciardo just went up while the likelihood of same just went down. I can no longer cheer for Verstappen. :(
Last edited by Dazed1 on 29 Apr 2018, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

toraabe
toraabe

I just couldn't believe what I saw at that moment. Total stupidity. Their salary should be cut both equal to the reduced points and the costs from the damage....

ringo

Someone needs to make a gif of Newey leaving the pitwall with his note book. :lol:
For Sure!!

Bisonas

The equation of blame will have to go like this.
VES fault > RBR fault > RIC fault

No matter what FIA or CH tell you, the truth is out there :o :o

fiohaa
fiohaa

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

so even though i think Max is the next schumi, and i worship him - it was definitely his fault.
However - logically, in terms of career moves - it was the right thing to do.

Coulthard made the point in commentary - every driver will be super weary of trying to overtake Max. he's built up a reputation of never giving up and being ruthless. All the qualities of a future champ.

everyone lost their minds over the RIC overtakes in China....well....he was on much newer tyres. This time he met his match with Max, and they had great battles. RIC gave as good as he got, squeezing Max into T2 in their second battle. They fought hard and fair, it was brilliant.

that second move thing max does normally works, this time he did it to his teammate which should really have been a big nono.....but from his point of view he can never yield to RIC or seen to be. His future is secure with redbull, and will become defacto number one - makes more sense to risk taking out RIC.

but in terms of fault.......it was all max i'm afraid.

- This is where RIC starts to move left, as Max moves right.

- this is when Max stops moving right - That was his 1 move. If he had just stayed here, RIC would have had enough room to go down the inside. Note how far away Max is from the pit wall and white line.

- and here is where Max finished making his second move..... just before RIC stamps on the brakes. Its all pretty clear cut to me. Right at this point they have just passed the 100m board. There is a chance that RIC missed his brake point completely, but without data i don't know - but bottom line is, Max moved twice. Reminds me of his move on Kimi at Spa a few years ago.

Vettel165

fiohaa wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 23:48
so even though i think Max is the next schumi, and i worship him - it was definitely his fault.

Coulthard made the point in commentary - every driver will be super weary of trying to overtake Max. he's built up a reputation of never giving up and being ruthless. All the qualities of a future champ.

everyone lost their minds over the RIC overtakes in China....well....he was on much newer tyres. This time he met his match with Max, and they had great battles. RIC gave as good as he got, squeezing Max into T2 in their second battle. They fought hard and fair, it was brilliant.

that second move thing max does normally works, this time he did it to his teammate which should really have been a big nono.....but from his point of view he can never yield to RIC or seen to be. His future is secure with redbull, and will become defacto number one - makes more sense to risk taking out RIC.

https://i.imgur.com/K5bppGXl.jpg

- this is when Max stops moving right - That was his 1 move. If he had just stayed here, RIC would have had enough room to go down the inside. Note how far away Max is from the pit wall and white line.
https://i.imgur.com/kSq95odl.jpg

- and here is where Max finished making his second move..... just before RIC stamps on the brakes. Its all pretty clear cut to me. Right at this point they have just passed the 100m board. There is a chance that RIC missed his brake point completely, but without data i don't know - but bottom line is, Max moved twice. Reminds me of his move on Kimi at Spa a few years ago.
https://i.imgur.com/SCjAGbql.jpg
I agree, cant believe that Kimi predicted amazingly well the future. As he predicted that there will be a huge crash by this second move under braking from Verstappen in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Li5w5BqIU

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

fiohaa wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 23:48

https://i.imgur.com/K5bppGXl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kSq95odl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SCjAGbql.jpg
I think you’re right in your analysis of the incident. I think you’re wrong if you think drivers will be wary. Max has crashed in most of the gp this year with the blame pretty much always in his court. He’s got to finish a race soon or it’ll start to be a problem. Ric is racing if himself and a new contract, Verstappen needs to start getting solid points for the team if he’s to have future.

Edax
Edax

Dazed1 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 19:40
One would assume the price for Red Bull to keep Ricciardo just went up while the likelihood of same just went down. I can no longer cheer for Verstappen. :(
I would argue the opposite. I can't imagine how crashing into your teammate enhances market value, no matter the circumstances.

Regardless of VES defending, this was an ambitious move with plenty of opportunity for tears. And even if succesfull it would have yielded nothing for the team.

I think most sensible drivers would have passed on this opportunity and not even attempted to go for a divebomb.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RedBull running a lot of rake these days... :shock: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Bisonas

I also agree that the price to keep RIC did went up today.
You know where you can realize how much at fault RBR was today??

RIC is faster for the whole race. He had already tried several times to pass, VES had blocked him aggressively most of the times. They even banked wheels when he tried to put RIC on the wall. VES is clearly delaying RIC.

VES is coming to the radio and say he has trouble with tyres temp. RIC was closing on him once again,
and you have Horner(i think) on the radio saying to him something like:
"Yea everybody is having those issues, just try to keep the pace, you are doing a solid job" (i mean seriously wtf)
After a few laps RIC managed to make the pass.
After pit stops RIC is behind VES again.

RBR certainly played a part in what happened and it had nothing to do with letting them race.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Max is the new Seb, Dan is the new Webber. It seems obvious that Max is seen by the TPTB in the team (Marko et al) as the second coming and must be allowed room. Sadly, that appears to mean that he must be allowed the whole track to himself.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Video showing all the camera angles. It is easy to see how Verstappen moved more than once here. He does it in sort of a half-way move but it is still wrong if you ask me. I blamed Ricciardo for coming in too hot initially, but now I realise he was trying to dummy Max to the outside, which did work, but Max still refused to yield and closed the door on them both.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/ ... crash.html
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏