Junior/Academy Drivers Contracts

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adb
adb

Junior/Academy Drivers Contracts

When I've heard rumours about Hartley being dropped in favour of Wehrlein, I started wondering, what does a junior/academy contract look like? What I mean is for example: durations of such contracts, quit clauses, buy-outs etc. Anybody got any idea?

Makes me wonder why Red Bull, considering their current shortage of F1-ready talent, doesn't make a play for Russell or Norris? Are those contracts really this tight, or maybe they just don't want to start a rookie-salary war?

Jackles-UK

Re: Junior/Academy Drivers Contracts

Drivers who are sponsored or supported by teams or enrolled in their academies will usually be tied into contractual terms of some sort restricting movement to rival teams. For example, when Sergio Perez moved to McLaren they had to broker a deal with Ferrari (who had supported him throughout his junior career) despite him never actually being handed a drive in the red cars.

As for the “Red Bull lacking talent” opinion I’m not sure I agree though; aside from the likes of Alex Lynn and Antonio Felix da Costa as recent graduates from their young driver program they also have Sébastien Buemi (Formula E Champion and WEC winner last week) and of course Carlos Sainz who is, effectively, only on-loan are Renault and could be recalled at any point if they need him.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see Wehrlein back in an F1 car and think his results alone warrant a drive in but I’d be very surprised if he wound up in a Toro Rosso. I could see Perez moving to replace Kimi at Ferrari next year and Wehrlein filling the seat at Force India as a Mercedes customer team (same as the Ocon arrangement).

adb
adb

Re: Junior/Academy Drivers Contracts

Thanks for your insight!

Regarding my Red Bull's talent opinion, well I stand by it. Lynn hasn't been a RB driver since 2015 I think? Felix da Costa likewise AFAIK, and Buemi is hardly a junior. Carlos is IMO Renault-bound for next year, if he stayed at RB it would be for Dan's seat. What I meant is that they don't have a fast driver who is ready for F1 next year or even 2020.

Wehrlein shouldn't hold his breath imo, I think next time Mercedes gets a chance to put their junior in F1 it will be Russell (deservedly so)