Vettel says VSC delta has a loophole

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NL_Fer

Vettel says VSC delta has a loophole

Vettel admitted making a mistake in stopping his car in his pit on cold tyres that contributed to that loss of position, but he still criticised the VSC system because he feels it contains a weakness in the software that allows drivers to go faster than they should be able to.

"It's the same for everyone but the FIA is supplying us with a system that makes us follow a delta time, and everybody has to slow down by, I think, 40%, but I think everybody's aware you can have a faster way to go under VSC than just follow the delta - by saving distance," Vettel said.
What is het talking about? The VSC means the track is devided in marshal sectors and drivers are given een fixed time for each sector. Which means the line taken in a sector does not matter, because you always have the same for that sector.

Edax

Re: Vettel says VSC delta has a loophole

NL_Fer wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:21
Vettel admitted making a mistake in stopping his car in his pit on cold tyres that contributed to that loss of position, but he still criticised the VSC system because he feels it contains a weakness in the software that allows drivers to go faster than they should be able to.

"It's the same for everyone but the FIA is supplying us with a system that makes us follow a delta time, and everybody has to slow down by, I think, 40%, but I think everybody's aware you can have a faster way to go under VSC than just follow the delta - by saving distance," Vettel said.
What is het talking about? The VSC means the track is devided in marshal sectors and drivers are given een fixed time for each sector. Which means the line taken in a sector does not matter, because you always have the same for that sector.
I think he means that the racing line is not the shortest line over the circuit. If you drive at VSC speeds you can take lines which are normally not possible at speed, hence you cover less distance. I don’t know whether the amount of pickup on your tires is worth it.

[Edit] forget it you’re right the time should cover that
Last edited by Edax on 13 May 2018, 22:34, edited 2 times in total.

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:

Pit lane?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

Big Tea wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:32
NL_Fer wrote:

Pit lane?
That's what he's talking about. You get a free pit stop under VSC because you can make the time up at the beginning of sector 3 and at the end of sector 1 without exceeding the delta.
Pit stops should be banned under VSC.

Edax

AJI wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:41
Big Tea wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

Pit lane?
That's what he's talking about. You get a free pit stop under VSC because you can make the time up at the beginning of sector 3 and at the end of sector 1 without exceeding the delta.
“ it forces us to drive ridiculous lines around the track” does seem to suggest he is talking about the track itself and not the pitstop.

Thinking about it. The car itself does not know where it is on track, it only has a rough idea based on the sequence of driver inputs. This to prevent fully automated adjustable engine, brake mappings etc. If they based the delta system on the car internals instead of an external feedback loop this could enable such a cheat.

NL_Fer

Each car has an accurate en 0-lag GPS, it just cannot be used to manipulate the drivetrain. Also the marshall sectors are far smaller than the 3 timing sectors.

No he must mean something else.

Big Tea

Edax wrote:
13 May 2018, 23:24
AJI wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:41
Big Tea wrote:

Pit lane?
“ it forces us to drive ridiculous lines around the track” does seem to suggest he is talking about the track itself and not the pitstop.

Thinking about it. The car itself does not know where it is on track, it only has a rough idea based on the sequence of driver inputs. This to prevent fully automated adjustable engine, brake mappings etc. If they based the delta system on the car internals instead of an external feedback loop this could enable such a cheat.
Are we in the realms of a 400mtr sprint here, where hugging the inside line cuts half a second off the total time even if the speed is the same?
Is the delta worked out as distance /time? (obvious)

so of distance is 'clipped' by running inside the racing line, does the car catch up to the one infornt that takes a standard line?

AJI
AJI

Edax wrote:

I missed that bit. Still, I fail to see how driving ridiculous lines can shorten the distance by a significant amount?

and the following kind of implies that you shouldn't be driving ridiculous lines

"40.3 No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at any time whilst the VSC procedure is in use. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane."

but then there's this

"40.6 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to d) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track whilst the VSC procedure is in use.
The exceptions are :
a) When entering the pits a driver may pass another car remaining on the track after he has reached the first safety car line.
b) When leaving the pits a driver may overtake, or be overtaken by, another car on the track before he reaches the second safety car line.

c) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas.
d) If any car slows with an obvious problem."

So there's a little loophole there...

Big Tea

AJI wrote:
14 May 2018, 00:27
Edax wrote:

I missed that bit. Still, I fail to see how driving ridiculous lines can shorten the distance by a significant amount?

and the following kind of implies that you shouldn't be driving ridiculous lines

"40.3 No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at any time whilst the VSC procedure is in use. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane."

but then there's this

"40.6 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to d) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track whilst the VSC procedure is in use.
The exceptions are :
a) When entering the pits a driver may pass another car remaining on the track after he has reached the first safety car line.
b) When leaving the pits a driver may overtake, or be overtaken by, another car on the track before he reaches the second safety car line.

c) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas.
d) If any car slows with an obvious problem."

So there's a little loophole there...
A 'normal' line around a corner may cover (say) 300 mtr of road/distance, which following the formula takes X seconds.

A wide line covers 320 mtr which takes the same time as 300 mtr plus allows you to close up 20 mtr as the same distance is covered.

sAx
sAx

NL_Fer wrote:

Sort of double dose of Melbourne irony there! Which was raised in relation in the Baku thread.
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

AJI
AJI

Big Tea wrote:
14 May 2018, 00:35
A 'normal' line around a corner may cover (say) 300 mtr of road/distance, which following the formula takes X seconds.

A wide line covers 320 mtr which takes the same time as 300 mtr plus allows you to close up 20 mtr as the same distance is covered.
Good point, but everyone must be doing it as the only time I've ever seen a significant gain under VSC is the free pitstop. That said, the free pitstop didn't work for VET this time because they were slow, so maybe he's trying to bring the distance issue into view because he's annoyed that he lost track position?

Phil

He lost his track position to Max due to a slow pitstop (right-rear tire).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Bill_Kar

I don't what he means, but I remember that when the VSC was introduced, they told us that its cause is to neutralise the race, in contrast with the regular SC. If you pit, that affects racing, hence it should be banned immediately.

radosav

Is it possible that car 2 comes into pit under vsc , lap after car 1 comes into pit . Car 1 should come out in front of car 2, but what if car 2 ups his pace to get in front of car 1 , and after it comes in front slows down to make that lap regular to vsc rules ?

AJI
AJI

Phil wrote:
14 May 2018, 11:53
He lost his track position to Max due to a slow pitstop (right-rear tire).
That's exactly what I'm talking about. He should have come out in front of VER.., and then he thought he could have attacked BOT and HAM on new tyres, which is pretty optimistic at Barcelona, but if Mercedes had reacted (double pitted) and Ferrari hadn't f'd the stop then he would have won the race. It's just a case of sour grapes...