Should Fred stay or should Fred go?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should Fred stay or should Fred go?

Poll ended at 15 Jul 2018, 07:56

Stay at McLaren
33%
Join Indycar
67%

Total votes: 48

Jolle
Jolle

Re: Should Fred stay or should Fred go?

To me it looks like that Alonso feels that he needs to be placed in the center of everything. Briatore did this and now Brown is doing the same. At Mercedes-McLaren and at Ferrari the team came first. This doesn’t work for him. Even if somehow he would be let in by Mercedes, they won’t or can’t give him this threatment.

Big Tea

GrayGreat wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 00:12
Big Tea wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 23:12
GrayGreat wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 22:20
Well, I think he will stay, or at least will not rush any decision because:

There is a (very?) slim chance that Hamilton will leave F1 at the end of this year (being discussed in another topic if he is motivated or not etc) as his contract is coming to an end, so there might be an opening at Mercedes. If Hamilton leaves, it will be between Alonso and Ricciardo for the Mercedes seat.

Second, if by any chance Ricciardo signs for Ferrari alongside Vettel, then Mercedes might pair Fernando with Hamilton at Mercedes (if he is still at Mercedes). The reason for Mercedes putting Fernando alongside Hamilton is, for Mercedes, WCC is more important than WDC. And it is very much possible that the Vettel + Ricciardo combo will not allow Hamilton + Bottas to win the WCC, both Vettel and Ricciardo are better than Bottas and with Ferrari becoming more and more competitive, it will be Ferrari who will run away with WCC. Will Ferrari sign Ricciardo or not is entirely another thing.

Also, apparently, Ricciardo is waiting for Hamilton's contract to be signed to make sure that there is no opening at Mercedes before re-signing with RedBull (does this mean Ferrari is not interested in Ricciardo or he is not in talks with Ferrari at all?)

I think Alonso will be watching everything pretty closely and will not rush any decision.
I think if Hamilton did go, and Ricciardo was available it would be a straight swap.
I doubt RBR would consider Alonso. So the only sensible option would be to stay at Mclaren.
I also very much doubt any other team would allow him to chase his triple crown on their time.

As a 'out of left field' option, how about Alonso heading a bid for Force India? Or even possibly Williams if he wants to stay in F1 and drive for a while then manage.
With McLaren, even if not winning, at least he is driving for a big name. With FI or Williams, it is not the case so he will simply leave F1 rather than driving for those teams.

If no top seat becomes available for him, and he wants to stay in F1, then there is one more possibility. Keep driving for McLaren in F1 and Toyota in WEC. After winning Lemans this year, Toyota will be ready to leave WEC so maybe they will become an F1 engine supplier and make a works deal with McLaren (not before 2021 obviously) but Alonso will be 40+ (42?) by then.

I agree with him better with Mclaren, thats why I said 'heading a bid', as in fronting a consortium of byers and becoming team owner or manager. He could drive for a year or two if he wanted, long enough to bring some sponsors to his name, then move to team boss role in the manner of Prost or some of the old day bosses who took their name as team name. 'Driving for team Alonso are...'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 11:36
GrayGreat wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 00:12
Big Tea wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 23:12

I think if Hamilton did go, and Ricciardo was available it would be a straight swap.
I doubt RBR would consider Alonso. So the only sensible option would be to stay at Mclaren.
I also very much doubt any other team would allow him to chase his triple crown on their time.

As a 'out of left field' option, how about Alonso heading a bid for Force India? Or even possibly Williams if he wants to stay in F1 and drive for a while then manage.
With McLaren, even if not winning, at least he is driving for a big name. With FI or Williams, it is not the case so he will simply leave F1 rather than driving for those teams.

If no top seat becomes available for him, and he wants to stay in F1, then there is one more possibility. Keep driving for McLaren in F1 and Toyota in WEC. After winning Lemans this year, Toyota will be ready to leave WEC so maybe they will become an F1 engine supplier and make a works deal with McLaren (not before 2021 obviously) but Alonso will be 40+ (42?) by then.

I agree with him better with Mclaren, thats why I said 'heading a bid', as in fronting a consortium of byers and becoming team owner or manager. He could drive for a year or two if he wanted, long enough to bring some sponsors to his name, then move to team boss role in the manner of Prost or some of the old day bosses who took their name as team name. 'Driving for team Alonso are...'

Often does not work, but if he sees his name with triple crown, why not as team principle?
He has to have a hobby when he retires and I don't see him in a shed rebuilding classics.

Schuttelberg

Sevach wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 01:18
Alonso should grovel to Mercedes and Ferrari imo, he probably won't and this is looking like a melancholic end to a huge talent.
Didn't Marchionne publicly say that they rejected a proposal from him and Flavio? To this date, I believe Marco Mattiacci was brought in to play Alonso.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Big Tea

He could still have an impressive career in LM racing. possibly 10 years to get everything there is to get with the odd Dakar style raid in the gaps.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Freddy should stay in F1, as there is nothing to be gained, whatsoever, by doing a full season of Indy car.

If he wants to try and win the Indy 500, do that race as a one-off again.

In the meantime, he should focus on moving to a better team in F1. McLaren may never come back to what they used to be ever again.

I remember the first few years of the Williams slump too. Very late '90s and into 2000 and beyond. I kept waiting for the giant to return to its dominating form. I think some time around 2005 it occurred to me they were never going to be a top team again.

I think McLaren may be in the same spot now.

Sieper

But is that not also an in the spur of the moment kind of thought? Sure, McL is disappointing bitterly at the moment but still Fred managed to fight back to tenth (starting from the Pit). What if they can improve again. I think he is still one of the very best drivers in the field, but likely he will never get a spot at a top team again. Stay in McL and do the indy500 for a few more years, why not.

The_table

I'd like to see it but i hope 2 years of him not being in F1 wouldn't bar him from joining once again?

I really wish more drivers would do Indy or WEC, the crowd Alonso brought to Indy last time was NUTS, a million LIVE views for him practicing in an Indycar...