Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

strad wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 23:03
I think this thread still going on and on shows how bored people are during this stupid extended break.
So true :mrgreen:

Andres125sx

alexx_88 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 06:30
Andre, excellently put. :)
Thanks mate, but don't miss the s please, it's Andres :D

wesley123
wesley123

Andres125sx wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:20
Phil wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:46
2014 is what it is - a new formula, one of the biggest changes in the history of the modern F1 era. For sure, Renault and Ferrari got it wrong, but with the token system in place, it was always clear that there would be big improvements, at the very least by next year.
Hindsight is great, isn´t it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ferrari at WCC:

2012: 2nd
2013: 3rd
2014(new rules): 4rd

The only clear thing was Ferrari was going downhill :wink:
What did that have to do with the token system giving room for big improvements?
Then he left, and as you say Ferrari is not used to any driver moving out voluntarily, so they didn´t get it kindly. But both parts said it at the day, it was Alonso decision to stay or leave, he had a new Ferrari contract prepared if he would decide to stay
Considering Raikkonen is driving for them I doubt that explanation.
Phil wrote:
There are heaps of indications of that as well. Horner implied this in his reasoning why Alonso wouldn't be considered at RB
Ignoring facts again Phil? What about the link posted by Alexx88 with statements from Horner saying they tried to hire him twice?
How does that change what Horners opinion was of Alonso? Difference between then and now was that then, they weren't a top team, while now they are with two very highly rated drivers.
Despite your stubborn position about "Alonso has burnt bridges with any top team with his attitude", reality is:

- He didn´t with McLaren wich is undeniable as he´s a McLaren driver today
Because who ever cares that you have blackmailed your own team, right?

The sole stubborn thing here is holding the belief that that somehow isn't damaging to a relationship.

By the way, Alonso was a suggestion from Boullier. And let's not forget that Dennis' position in McLaren was a lot weaker than it was in 2007.
But I know it´s a lost battle, some people choose to believe what they´re programmed to believe (bhall tribute :D )
You know that probably applies to yourself as well, right?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Phil

McLaren was facing a tough time in 2013. They knew they were losing their main sponsor (Vodafone) and with it a lot of money. They lost many engineers to Mercedes. They lost Lewis Hamilton. From potentially the WDC winning car in 2012 (but held back by reliability), they dropped to a distant 5th in 2013, not even a single podium result to their name. In 2014, this continued despite having the Mercedes PU - yet they were even beaten by Williams. Arguably, McLaren needed big change; They opted to start a new 'works' partnership with Honda and signing Alonso (who isn't simply an outstanding driver but also attracted quite a bit of sponsorship) was a big coup for them - for both them and Honda. Button, as good as he was, wasn't a big driver for the team.

So in a way, McLaren had to bury the past and move forward. They needed a 'big driver' to sell the image of being a top-team with a top-driver. Alonso sold that illusion for quite a while, right up until 2016 where most people (probably including team) were believing they had the best car on the grid but were held back by the worst engine.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

Phil wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 13:59
McLaren was facing a tough time in 2013. They knew they were losing their main sponsor (Vodafone) and with it a lot of money. They lost many engineers to Mercedes. They lost Lewis Hamilton. From potentially the WDC winning car in 2012 (but held back by reliability), they dropped to a distant 5th in 2013, not even a single podium result to their name. In 2014, this continued despite having the Mercedes PU - yet they were even beaten by Williams. Arguably, McLaren needed big change; They opted to start a new 'works' partnership with Honda and signing Alonso (who isn't simply an outstanding driver but also attracted quite a bit of sponsorship) was a big coup for them - for both them and Honda. Button, as good as he was, wasn't a big driver for the team.

So in a way, McLaren had to bury the past and move forward. They needed a 'big driver' to sell the image of being a top-team with a top-driver. Alonso sold that illusion for quite a while, right up until 2016 where most people (probably including team) were believing they had the best car on the grid but were held back by the worst engine.
It's an objective recollection of what took place. I can't help but read this and think how Alonso and McLaren have dug their own graves.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

alexx_88
alexx_88

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 12:29
alexx_88 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 06:30
Andre, excellently put. :)
Thanks mate, but don't miss the s please, it's Andres :D
My bad :)

alexx_88
alexx_88

Now this is something I clearly don't believe. Or at least not in the form that it was presented. What were his actual words?

Pany
Pany

dont beleave it

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

alexx_88 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 17:20
Now this is something I clearly don't believe. Or at least not in the form that it was presented. What were his actual words?
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... d-red-bull

That’s the full article with the video interview. Alonso confirms Red Bull offered him Ricciardo’s drive when the question is put to him by Kravitz.

FrukostScones

Weird.
either they offered him the seat but without big pay or Max put his veto card on zhee table. Or else
; )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle
Jolle

If we get confirmation from RedBull that it is BS, we could rest all the discussions weather or not Alonso is toxic in your team. Brilliant driver but unfortunately difficult or even impossible to work with.

Andres125sx

What is hard to believe?

He knows better than anyone what´s the difference between Honda and Renault PUs. If RBR is not a title contender with Renault... and he´s repeated ad nauseum from his Ferrari days he´s only looking for a tittle contender car, or moving out of F1.

He tried McLaren-Honda project, when failed he gave another oportunity to McLaren-Renault. Enough, he´s out. RBR-Honda doesn´t look too promising for two seasons before the rule change

Andres125sx

wesley123 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 13:17
Andres125sx wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:20
Phil wrote:
2014 is what it is - a new formula, one of the biggest changes in the history of the modern F1 era. For sure, Renault and Ferrari got it wrong, but with the token system in place, it was always clear that there would be big improvements, at the very least by next year.
Hindsight is great, isn´t it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ferrari at WCC:

2012: 2nd
2013: 3rd
2014(new rules): 4rd

The only clear thing was Ferrari was going downhill :wink:
What did that have to do with the token system giving room for big improvements?
Actually, the token system did limit room for improvements, and Ferrari was the 4rd team in 2014 so they had a lot to improve.

As proved later, in 2015, 2016 and 2017 they were far from title contenders, Mercedes was in their own league

wesley123 wrote:
Then he left, and as you say Ferrari is not used to any driver moving out voluntarily, so they didn´t get it kindly. But both parts said it at the day, it was Alonso decision to stay or leave, he had a new Ferrari contract prepared if he would decide to stay
Considering Raikkonen is driving for them I doubt that explanation.
That´s not an explanation, that´s what Ferrari said at the day. Check news if you can´t remind

wesley123 wrote:
Phil wrote:
There are heaps of indications of that as well. Horner implied this in his reasoning why Alonso wouldn't be considered at RB
Ignoring facts again Phil? What about the link posted by Alexx88 with statements from Horner saying they tried to hire him twice?
How does that change what Horners opinion was of Alonso? Difference between then and now was that then, they weren't a top team, while now they are with two very highly rated drivers.
No need to reply this now I guess :mrgreen:
wesley123 wrote:
Despite your stubborn position about "Alonso has burnt bridges with any top team with his attitude", reality is:

- He didn´t with McLaren wich is undeniable as he´s a McLaren driver today
Because who ever cares that you have blackmailed your own team, right?

The sole stubborn thing here is holding the belief that that somehow isn't damaging to a relationship.

If you bother to read my replies and the discussion, I said I´ve never defended Alonso´s blackmailing. That was related to Phil´s statements about Alonso burning bridges. If he´s a McLaren driver today, he hardly burnt anything I´d say

Now you can downvote this too as you did with the previous only because you disagree, but facts are facts :roll: , the only team who has said they´re not interested on Alonso is Mercedes and that´s understandable considering they have Lewis

subcritical71

I don't get the toxic claims. Based on quotes from the top teams over the last few years: Ferrari wanted to keep ALO when he left, RBR wanted him several times, Merc would have considered it, and McL wasn't kicking him out. It doesn't seem the headlines (or at least the click-bait ones) match the actual story...