Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

subcritical71 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 18:18
I don't get the toxic claims. Based on quotes from the top teams over the last few years: Ferrari wanted to keep ALO when he left, RBR wanted him several times, Merc would have considered it, and McL wasn't kicking him out. It doesn't seem the headlines (or at least the click-bait ones) match the actual story...
You are a bit misinformed. Ferrari wanted commitment ALO wanted 1+1 and threatened to leave otherwise... So he was made to leave. RB wanted him several times ia a bold claim. McLaren Saga 2007/2008 sure....
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NathanOlder

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 18:33
subcritical71 wrote:
I don't get the toxic claims. Based on quotes from the top teams over the last few years: Ferrari wanted to keep ALO when he left, RBR wanted him several times, Merc would have considered it, and McL wasn't kicking him out. It doesn't seem the headlines (or at least the click-bait ones) match the actual story...
You are a bit misinformed. Ferrari wanted commitment ALO wanted 1+1 and threatened to leave otherwise... So he was made to leave. RB wanted him several times ia a bold claim. McLaren Saga 2007/2008 sure....
Definitely is several times now.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

subcritical71

FrukostScones wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:
Which part am I misinformed? You confirmed Ferrari wanted him for multiyear. Horner said they tried for him in 2008 and around 2011/12, not including the latest claims from Horner & Alonso that's twice that we know of. McLaren rehired him after 2007/8 saga. Sorry, but as I mentioned in my original post, those actions don't seem to support the toxic claims.

McHonda
McHonda

FrukostScones wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:
How do you get made to leave if you've threatened to leave if they don't give you what you want and they don't give you want you want?

That's just called following through with the threat right if that's the case?

alexx_88
alexx_88

All this discussion about toxicity gets really funny, really quickly when you look at Danny Ric. He's the complete opposite of what everyone is saying about Alonso, very fast, yet this year there were two seats available in top teams and he didn't get either one. Why? F1 is more about timing, being available when the call comes from a team that might get to the top. There's rarely any 1st driver seats available at teams that are dominating. I can't remember any in the past decade if I'm honest.

Jolle
Jolle

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... 36/?nrt=54

Fernando, Fernando, Fernando.... come on....

roon
roon

It's all heresay. Did they or didn't they? No evidence exists. It may be in the teams' interest to deny the existence of any negotiations that did not come to fruition. If Ferrari were asked about Newey's declination, they would likely say "that didn't occur" or "no comment."

strad

JEEEEZ I'll be glad when you find something new to gnaw on.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 23:34

That article says RBR was interested on Fernando only before he became a GP winner, let alone a world champion, when we all haver read Horner stating they did offer him a seat in 2008. Or in other words, bs from misinformed journalists

FrukostScones

McHonda wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 20:04
FrukostScones wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:
How do you get made to leave if you've threatened to leave if they don't give you what you want and they don't give you want you want?

But if you didn't want to leave? Ferrari had VET by then and ALO was gone. Later he quarrelled with Ferrari that it was breaching his contract. Ferrari had called his Bluff and he had to join McLaren Honda. Just Google his facial expression at Japanese GP 2014. Tough when you are faced with reality.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Andres125sx

roon wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 00:53
It's all heresay. Did they or didn't they? No evidence exists. It may be in the teams' interest to deny the existence of any negotiations that did not come to fruition. If Ferrari were asked about Newey's declination, they would likely say "that didn't occur" or "no comment."
Exactly.

When there are contradictory statements I find it useful to think about what will win each part if they´re the one lying.

Alonso: maybe he thinks if people think he had an offer that´s because he´s still competitive... but I don´t see too much sense in that, McLaren has said repeatedly he´s on his prime yet, and he´s recently won 24h of LeMans so I´d say that´s not a question, and he´s out of F1 anycase so...

RBR: maybe they think if a top driver rejects an offer from them people may think they´re not a top team wich will fight for titles. That looks a lot more plausible, sine they´re not fighting for titles for several seasons and next with Honda doesn´t look too promising

IMHO RBR option makes a lot more sense

McHonda
McHonda

FrukostScones wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 11:46
McHonda wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 20:04
FrukostScones wrote:

But if you didn't want to leave? Ferrari had VET by then and ALO was gone. Later he quarrelled with Ferrari that it was breaching his contract. Ferrari had called his Bluff and he had to join McLaren Honda. Just Google his facial expression at Japanese GP 2014. Tough when you are faced with reality.
If you don't want to leave then you don't leave with 2 years still left on your deal. Or you back down on your demands and sign the offered extension.

As I understand it Mattiaci broke a condition of Alonso's contract that required them to notify Alonso if they approach certain drivers, it's a standard clause in F1, most top drivers have it so they know when the team starts to look elsewhere. Marco had no idea about it because he's not an F1 guy so of course Alonso got comped, they broke a clause in his still valid contract so they owed him millions. (It probably got Marco fired as well)

Doesn't mean he didn't want to leave, he still could've stayed if he wanted and see out his current deal or force Ferrari to fully break his contract which would've got him even more of a pay out. We know that from Allison's comments about trying to change his mind that Alonso had enough and no-one else from the team portrayed it any other way and the entire Italian media chased him up and down the grid in 2015 asking if he'd regretted leaving, not regretted getting the boot.

Jacinto
Jacinto

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 09:01
Jolle wrote:

That article says RBR was interested on Fernando only before he became a GP winner, let alone a world champion, when we all haver read Horner stating they did offer him a seat in 2008. Or in other words, bs from misinformed journalists
I believe that you misundestood the article.

"Red Bull approached Alonso when it was in its formative years and had not yet become a grand prix winner, let alone won a title."

It was not Alonso who was in his "formative years and had not yet become a grand prix winner". It was Red Bull.

Andres125sx

Jacinto wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 17:35
Andres125sx wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 09:01
Jolle wrote:

I believe that you misundestood the article.

"Red Bull approached Alonso when it was in its formative years and had not yet become a grand prix winner, let alone won a title."

It was not Alonso who was in his "formative years and had not yet become a grand prix winner". It was Red Bull.
Looks like you´re correct, thanks :)