IB Math IA

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
natapper

IB Math IA

I am currently in IB Math and need to create a math IA ("lab") based on a topic of my choosing on something I am interested on. The math we are using is calculus at a high school senior level.

The 2 ideas I was able to come up with are something about the racing line or fuel consumption. I'm not entirely sure how the racing line one would work but I'm sure it would be doable.

If any of you have done a math IA on formula 1 or have any ideas, it would be much appreciated. I don't really want to do a topic that is super complicated, but at the same time it needs to be something substantial enough to write a paper on.

Pramesi

Re: IB Math IA

Are you taking higher level or standard level maths?

My IB Math IA was about race strategy, and how to calculate when to do pit stops based on time loss due to tyre degradation. The gist of it was that tyre degradation would result with the car losing an x amount of time per lap, with a tyre degradation cliff based on that of the 2013 or 2014 Pirellis (don't remember which).

I took Math SL so I didn't have to go too in-depth into it, and as a result I didn't take into account things such as driving style.

There are several university-level papers on Google Scholar with topics on race engineering, so perhaps you can start from there.

IB is difficult man, I've been in that position before. Arguably more difficult than uni to be honest. But it taught me so much that come university it was very easy to adapt, so make the best of it.

Best luck to you and your studies!

TheFluffy

I did HL Math and did something totally unrelated to F1 (mathematical modelling of airplane overbooking) but if you are doing it purely on interests then anything in F1 is great considering there is so much data in this sport. But, if you also want a great grade for the IA, I don't know why but teachers seem to like calculus so perhaps you can integrate (no pun intended) something on it into your area.

Greg Locock

Optimum racing line through a corner would be entirely dependent on your tire model so a numerical approach would be necessary rather than proper calculus.

Bill_Kar

Pramesi wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 14:47

My IB Math IA was about race strategy, and how to calculate when to do pit stops based on time loss due to tyre degradation. The gist of it was that tyre degradation would result with the car losing an x amount of time per lap, with a tyre degradation cliff based on that of the 2013 or 2014 Pirellis (don't remember which).

I took Math SL so I didn't have to go too in-depth into it, and as a result I didn't take into account things such as driving style.

There are several university-level papers on Google Scholar with topics on race engineering, so perhaps you can start from there.

IB is difficult man, I've been in that position before. Arguably more difficult than uni to be honest. But it taught me so much that come university it was very easy to adapt, so make the best of it.

It might be a stupid question,pardon me but I'm not familiar with IB at all, but is there a way we can have a view of your work? Was it published somewhere?

Shanhara

So what did you end up choosing?
Pramesi wrote:

also, can you send me some of the sources that you found/used for your IA. I'm doing a similar topic and looking for more resources

dijonmustard

Pramesi wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to send me your IA because I am doing basically the exact same topic but I am unsure on what research I should look at.

Thank you!

Shanhara

dijonmustard wrote:
14 May 2019, 07:00
Pramesi wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to send me your IA because I am doing basically the exact same topic but I am unsure on what research I should look at.

Thank you!
Dijonmustard can you send me any resources you use? I am also working on a similar topic but can't find good papers or articles that could help

Arjunseth

TheFluffy wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 15:10
I did HL Math and did something totally unrelated to F1 (mathematical modelling of airplane overbooking) but if you are doing it purely on interests then anything in F1 is great considering there is so much data in this sport. But, if you also want a great grade for the IA, I don't know why but teachers seem to like calculus so perhaps you can integrate (no pun intended) something on it into your area.
Hi I found ur reply when I was searching for an overbooking IA since even I plan on doing the same. I have some questions regarding how you collected the data. would you mind helping me out please

Pramesi

Since several people have PMed me asking about this, I'll post a reply on the topic to make it more accessible. Apologies if some details may be a bit rusty, because I did this 5-6 years ago and I no longer have the original file on me.

My aim was to make a formula for the time it would take for a car to complete a whole race, and determine the strategy required to complete it in the shortest amount of time possible using the rate of change in lap times due to fuel loads and tyre degradation.

From what I can recall, there are several pieces of data that you need:
- Race distance in laps
- Lap time increase due to tyre degradation
- Time to complete a lap with 1 lap of fuel on board
- Fuel consumption
- Lap time reduction due to fuel consumption (AKA fuel load effect)
- Average pit stop and pit lane time

The formula to calculate the fuel load effect can be found here: https://www.raeng.org.uk/publications/o ... car-racing

After this, you need to calculate how tyre degradation affects lap time too. Unfortunately, I can't find the source I used to calculate this, but for this you only need the rates of change of lap time in seconds depending on tyre compounds (I think on mine they were constant).

Then, you add each individual lap times of the race and change variables (e.g. stint length, when to pit, what tyre compounds to put on, etc) to find the optimum strategy.

Keep in mind that this is a very basic interpretation of how race strategies actually work since it ignores a large amount of variables (tyre temperatures, etc), but for an IA it should be pretty solid.

cminana

I was wondering if you could send me your resources on this as I also want to write a SL Math IA on F!
Last edited by Steven on 10 Jun 2020, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post just above

Pramesi

Unfortunately, I don't have the files for this anymore. The only resource I still remember having is the one I posted in the comment before this.
Last edited by Steven on 10 Jun 2020, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post just above

Blamed

natapper wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 00:51
I am currently in IB Math and need to create a math IA ("lab") based on a topic of my choosing on something I am interested on. The math we are using is calculus at a high school senior level.

The 2 ideas I was able to come up with are something about the racing line or fuel consumption. I'm not entirely sure how the racing line one would work but I'm sure it would be doable.

If any of you have done a math IA on formula 1 or have any ideas, it would be much appreciated. I don't really want to do a topic that is super complicated, but at the same time it needs to be something substantial enough to write a paper on.
I’m planning to do my IA on this topic too. Can you please share your resources or ideas?

VedikaKothari

Hi, I'm planning on doing my IA on a similar topic, could you please share your IA, resources, ideas? it would help a lot

mantibiotics

Hi, I'm doing the same topic with racing lines for my Math HL AA IA, do you think you could send yours to me if you ended up doing that? I'm really struggling