1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

If the driver with the fastest lap finishes in the top 10, they will be awarded a point starting at the first race this year.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14195 ... astest-lap
Honda!

santos
santos

Re: 1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Why? This looks like that year with the double points in the last race. What's next? Fan boost? I thought that Liberty didn't wanted to introduce any gimmiks.

the EDGE
the EDGE

The driver with the fastest lap is already rewarded, it’s called Pole position, what on earth do they hope to gain from this?

How would this increase the spectacle... it’s not as if anybody watching would be able to tell the car went 1 seconded faster round a lap is it

I hope the common sense prevails & this stupied idea fails at the final hurdle

marvin78
marvin78

You do know that the fastes lap during the race is meant?

But I agree with you. It's awful.

the EDGE
the EDGE

marvin78 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 13:42
You do know that the fastes lap during the race is meant?

But I agree with you. It's awful.
Yes I do, And only then if they finish in the top 10

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Just a countermeasure to that stupid fuel save.

Shrieker

I like it ! This might induce some drama and not just among the top teams.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

FrukostScones

what if a driver outside the top10 result does the fastest lap (by accident lol) ?

No point given?

Point given for the fastest lap inside Top 10 (that is not the fasted lap of the race! )?

Imagine No point is given:
BOT is outside top ten because of whatever ... VET has the fasted lap by a margin, HAM cannot get it from him on his old tyres.
BOT will not get points anyway.... Merc call him in again for fresh tyres and steal the fasted lap point from VET... (BOT wont get a point but also not VET in this case).

So will they give a point for the factual fasted lap of the Top 10 finish result?
Last edited by FrukostScones on 08 Mar 2019, 15:02, edited 4 times in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Big Mangalhit

Love the idea. But change is hard. I always enjoyed when Vettel (whom I hated at the time cause he was winning all the time) would try to do the fastest lap even tho he had secured a good first place lead and his engineers begged him not to. I am really curious to see the drivers banging some fast laps in the end of the race. I wonder if this will mean that we will see many fast lap records being broken this year.

jjn9128

FrukostScones wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 14:58
what if a driver outside the top10 result does the fastest lap (by accident lol) ?

No point given?

Point given for the fastest lap inside Top 10 (that is not the fasted lap of the race! )?

BOT is outside top ten because of whatever ... VET has the fasted lap by a margin, HAM cannot get it from him on his old tyres.
BOT will not get points anyway.... Merc call him in again for fresh tyres and steal the fasted lap from VET...
Like FE it's given for the fastest lap of a top-10 finisher.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

FrukostScones

jjn9128 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 15:01
FrukostScones wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 14:58

No point given?

BOT will not get points anyway.... Merc call him in again for fresh tyres and steal the fasted lap from VET...
Like FE it's given for the fastest lap of a top-10 finisher.
I thought in FE it doesn't matter where you finish...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle
Jolle

so if there is still that 60 seconds gap between top six and seven, first no six will come in with 6 laps to go for the softest tire, then number 5 the following lap and on and on... Don't know if they thought about this... in FE you don't have tire changes...

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Jolle wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 15:10
so if there is still that 60 seconds gap between top six and seven, first no six will come in with 6 laps to go for the softest tire, then number 5 the following lap and on and on... Don't know if they thought about this... in FE you don't have tire changes...
Great, late drama - pressure on the pit crew, stressing the car, keeping the driver on their toes.

marvin78
marvin78

Yes. But the midfield usually is interesting anyway. So what's the point?

cooken
cooken

They surely did not think this through fully. Why are we only hearing about this a week before the race? Team strategists will pick this apart immediately and very likely nullify any intended entertainment value.

One is reminded of the ill fated qualy format changes from 2016.