1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
proteus

Re: 1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Give the drivers the material to race at full pace for the whole thing and they will race. Now they are just cruising trough the race as much as they can. To confirm my statement i will show this quote from RaceFans site of Netflix series part 2:

"It also contrasts with the sad reality of racing in the ‘high degradation tyre’ era. Sainz’s pursuit of a rival during his home race provokes consternation on the radio at Renault. “Tell him again and tell him to drop back and stop --- racing,” one team member fumes on the radio. “If you won’t tell him I will tell him. He’s going to wear his fronts out and we’re going to lose this race.”"
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

henry

I would think that the reasoning behind this is to increase the number of incidents and talking points in the races. The nice thing, from that point of view, is that they are guaranteed some actions and talking points through the race, probably towards the end when things have often settled down with little to excite.

The problem of “racing” is that it is much less predictable and has a less obvious manifestation. Aficionados might be intrigued by a relentless incremental hunting down of the car in front, or attempts to set up a pass through a sequence of corners, but the general viewer is less interested.

I offer as examples of this sort of thinking is the number of times the coverage cuts away from some on track action to show a car trundling down the pot lane to its wholly predictable next pit stop.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

ispano6

proteus wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 11:04
ispano6 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 23:01
Interesting rule from a few different angles.

Assuming you're in 2nd place and you lose out to 1st by a hairs width in which you were catching and faster than the 1st place finisher. It would be a bit of a consolation to the 2nd place driver since the points difference for 1st and 2nd is so large.

But then I think that positions 1-3 get big chunk of points anyways, so the rule is more enticing for the positions 4-10 where the points up for grabs are significantly less, and perhaps the top 3 ought to be excluded from this 1 pt bonus.

I also feel for teams that will ultimately never score a point and show up every weekend and end up folding shop because they earned zero points for the entire season. There has to be points for participating or at least SOMETHING for teams that fly out all over the world just to show up. Obviously being "in the points" matters so much in F1 and that should definitely be "sacred" but showing up for a weekend to amount to nothing is pretty discouraging.

Williams will be in this position this year. Should they even show up or just skip races to save money? Some teams have done/considered this in the past.
I am sorry, but this mentality is completely wrong. This is competition and not a charity organisation. If you are no match to compete in the pinnacle of motosport, than you have no right to be there.

The whole slogan of "everyone who competes is a winner" is making everyone soft and it lowers the meaning of being the best. Why should be those who are terrible be rewarded with points and given money to be terrible in the future? I know this sounds harsh, but this is the reality. If i wont be productive in my workplace i will get sacked and i will deserve it. I dont get paid just for showing up at work and being there for 8 hours.
You don't have to be sorry to have an opinion. And I don't think I'm wrong anyway. What tells me that I'm right is that there is no 11th team to be in the unfortunate position because they already folded up shop. It would tantamount to financial suicide to be a new entry and not have the resources to keep up with the lead group or front of the midpack. The only way possible is to be a bteam and share parts with a dominant outfit. And if you do not have such access then there needs to be standardized parts available for new comers.. oh wait, doesn't this sound familiar?

True Williams doesn't actually need to do anything and still can earn 10th place prize money at the end of the season while languishing in mediocrity. Other racing series award points to positions past 20th and its cumulative points anyway. Earning points could have positive motivation for struggling teams.

Your 8hr job analogy doesn't work for me in that ofcourse you're under performing you need to be subject to review or disciplining, but part of the problem is HR and the hiring manager making such a huge blunder in hiring you and not forseeing your lack of performance. Not only do you look bad but your bring your team and organization down with you. But before you can them you identify their strengths and why they are there in the first place and you work their motivation to be better and deliver more value to the conpany. I don't think that the spirit of F1 or its fans is that different . If F1 is a circus then all performers ought to get paid right? For now all performers do.
Last edited by ispano6 on 09 Mar 2019, 17:44, edited 4 times in total.

nzjrs

Let's not forget this rule has not been confirmed yet.

jjn9128

Apparently the idea for fastest lap point was taken based on the most recent fan survey, but predominantly all I've seen is derision and scorn for the idea... so who's filling out these fan surveys????
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 18:10
Apparently the idea for fastest lap point was taken based on the most recent fan survey, but predominantly all I've seen is derision and scorn for the idea... so who's filling out these fan surveys????
They have all moved on to the next fad new, there are all new ones
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bill shoe
bill shoe

if f1 is going this direction then they do need to limit it to the top-10 as proposed. I browsed through a few 2018 races, mostly races at Tilke-dromes, and found that the slowest qualifyers always set Q1 times quicker than the fastest lap during the race.

So if the bonus point was not limited to top-10, then logically a team without potential for top-10 finishes would do a mid-race qualy run: wait for a clearing, bolt fresh tires on, fully charge the battery during the very slow out lap, do one party-mode during race, get one precious point, done.

AJI
AJI

bill shoe wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 10:48
if f1 is going this direction then they do need to limit it to the top-10 as proposed. I browsed through a few 2018 races, mostly races at Tilke-dromes, and found that the slowest qualifyers always set Q1 times quicker than the fastest lap during the race.

So if the bonus point was not limited to top-10, then logically a team without potential for top-10 finishes would do a mid-race qualy run: wait for a clearing, bolt fresh tires on, fully charge the battery during the very slow out lap, do one party-mode during race, get one precious point, done.
Is creating a sub P10 backmarker race within a race really a problem?
F1 already has (has always had) 2 (or more) tiers. In the era of retiring a car to save mileage, a 1 point fastest lap final surge is a solid incentive to keep all the cars on the track...

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

i dont like it. if the gap between 2 places is enough for a pit stop they will change tyres at the end of the race.

AJI
AJI

KiLLu12258 wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 12:27
i dont like it. if the gap between 2 places is enough for a pit stop they will change tyres at the end of the race.
I'm pretty sure that's the point

Big Tea

If the back markers know there is no real point in finishing, as they get nothing from it, it could well be a way to keep interest for fans who are not for the top teams, and for the teams themselves, or even the sponsors. Logically, if they are doing a glory run, they are not going to be in the part of the field where they are likely to be blue flagged or held behind a ' just get it home' car, so it should not interfere with the main race at all.

My only concern is that it would affect the end of year results, which admittedly have not always been close enough to be concerned, but could well cost a championship.

Is there some sort of parallel event that could be incorporated? If some big sponsor were to come forward with a separate prize, and the event was for cash (or resources) rather than influence the season, it could well be an interesting feature, in much the way fastest speed was at one time at Le Mans.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

thelimey
thelimey

A quick look at last season shows that there were two occasions someone outside the top 10 got the fastest lap , Bottas at Baku & Magnussen at Singapore. In 2017 Perez in Monaco was the only occasion it happened. Obviously drivers would have driven differently but the only change to the championship would have been In 2018 as Bottas picked up quite a lot of fastest laps, enough to push him to 3rd in the drivers championship from 5th. Potentially we might also have seen Max going for fastest lap at the end of Abu Dhabi to leapfrog Kimi for 4th in the championship too.

I do worry about issues with cars in the lower end of the points pushing hard for a FL bonus point trying to unlap themselves against leaders in conservation mode. I suspect more often than not though the recipient will just be the fastest car with a one pitstop gap behind them pitting for fresh(ish) tyres with a few laps to go.

FrukostScones

In the event of a driver who sets the fastest lap being classified outside the top 10, the point will not be awarded.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14204 ... astest-lap

LOL, it is official. (If I understand this correctly.)

opens the box to stealing and magic conspiracies.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zeph
zeph

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

zeph wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 02:47
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 18rsY.html

Massa WDC 2008.
After all these years I still feel sorry for Massa.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg