Channel 4 highlight shows (UK)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hemichromis
hemichromis

Channel 4 highlight shows (UK)

Have they changed how highlights are provided to channel 4?
The entire race seems to be condensed down to about 30 minutes. Has it always been like that?

Big Tea

Re: Channel 4 highlight shows (UK)

They can not add highlights that were not in the race. They did seem to spend a lot of time 'chatting' though, 2 segments after the race end and a good long pre race.
I did like steiner giving his view.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

The deal is different and more restrictive.
Sky has imposed a series of restrictions on C4 in the contract for the highlights races, which will affect both the race coverage itself, and what happens around it.

For example, only 50% of the total running time of C4's programme can now be taken up by the on-track coverage - down from between 60-70% last year. They are not allowed to do interviews in what is known as the 'pen' - where all the drivers are taken to do a round-robin of broadcasters after qualifying and race - or in the pit lane. Any 'pen' interviews they use will have to come from Sky. The amount of interviews C4 can do in the paddock is restricted. And they have been forbidden from doing a 'grid walk'.

None of these restrictions apply to the live British Grand Prix.

In addition, the highlights programmes can now not start until a minimum of three hours after the race, although this could be a blessing in disguise as it pushes them into evening prime time, when audiences are potentially bigger.
From BBC article ahead of the season
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

jjn9128 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 22:38
Sky has imposed a series of restrictions on C4 in the contract for the highlights races, which will affect both the race coverage itself, and what happens around it.

For example, only 50% of the total running time of C4's programme can now be taken up by the on-track coverage - down from between 60-70% last year. They are not allowed to do interviews in what is known as the 'pen' - where all the drivers are taken to do a round-robin of broadcasters after qualifying and race - or in the pit lane. Any 'pen' interviews they use will have to come from Sky. The amount of interviews C4 can do in the paddock is restricted. And they have been forbidden from doing a 'grid walk'.

In addition, the highlights programmes can now not start until a minimum of three hours after the race, although this could be a blessing in disguise as it pushes them into evening prime time, when audiences are potentially bigger.

Such a shame that this happened. The channel 4 coverage was always better than they sky coverage. The grid walk on sky is always just terrible. The technical and race coverage isn't much better either. On channel 4 I could watch all 3 days of coverage quite happily, I can't do that with sky because they just regurgitate the same content every day I just turn on for the race now. The commentating is awful as well.

Bring back the Channel 4 coverage and ditch sky!

jjn9128

Maplesoup wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 08:52
Such a shame that this happened. The channel 4 coverage was always better than they sky coverage. The grid walk on sky is always just terrible. The technical and race coverage isn't much better either. On channel 4 I could watch all 3 days of coverage quite happily, I can't do that with sky because they just regurgitate the same content every day I just turn on for the race now. The commentating is awful as well.

From Sky's point of view it makes sense to restrict the FTA to the absolute limit because the highlights still get the majority of legal viewers in the UK. It's a legacy of Ecclestone's short sighted deals which are hampering everything Liberty are trying to achieve.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

flexcon
flexcon

Maplesoup wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 22:38

I agree.

Although I recently found out that EIR sport in Ireland are broadcasting the Channel 4 coverage live. They get the Audio from Channel 4.

So if you can find a stream for EIR sport in Ireland - you have your Channel 4 team back! Luckily I live in Ireland so it's no big deal to get this channel, its actually free with the broadband.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Maplesoup wrote:
By the time Sky's deal is up for renewal, no one in the UK will care about F1 except the few die-hard fans. No more new fans will be introduced to the sport unless they happen to be a child of the diminishing number of people watching it on Sky.

No doubt Bernie is to blame because of his deals, but the BBC is as much to blame. They took on a huge contract that they then decided they couldn't afford. They did a deal with Sky which ensured that no other terrestrial channel in the UK could take it over. Once Sky had their foot in the door, they were always going to take it on an exclusive basis eventually. The British GP being available for Channel 4 to cover live is a sop to the FTA requirements of the old Concord Agreements.

Still, at least we'll get to watch tennis for two weeks straight every summer... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Bernie made this deal just before the handover to Liberty.
He made it when Channel 4 had only just taken over so would have been unable to make a big investment.
Why couldn't he have waited?
I do blame Bernie for this.

Because of this deal I can no longer watch with my son as he needs to be in bed before it finishes.
Even when I do watch it is cut up so badly it makes little sense.

So my alternative option is to pay £30+ for Sky sports. For those who watch other sports that might make sense for F1 alone it doesn't.

I considered myself a big fan of F1 but this might be my last year after 8 years.
I expect I won't be alone.

R_Redding
R_Redding

I used to watch the BBC coverage, until they said they could no longer justify £45 million for 5years. (then gave Somali radio £90 million from the licence fee :evil: ).

Watched C4... Now watch the German RTE satellite coverage while listening to BBC radio . I will never be a sky customer. If RTE loses its coverage,It'll radio or nothing. I would pay for the FIAs online coverage (as buggy as it is),but sky will not allow that option in the UK.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

hemichromis wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 11:38
I considered myself a big fan of F1 but this might be my last year after 8 years.
I expect I won't be alone.
I've been watching F1 since the 80s when my dad would turn on the race, coverage such as it was back then, and we'd watch it during our Sunday lunch. I still remember Mansell's tyre failure that robbed him of the title in 86, for example, watched as a full race replay.

I won't pay Sky as I just won't watch enough other stuff to warrant the price over and above the TV licence that also has to be paid.

So after 30+ years I'll probably just drift away from F1. Well done Bernie. Nice legacy.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

R_Redding wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 12:13
I used to watch the BBC coverage, until they said they could no longer justify £45 million for 5years. (then gave Somali radio £90 million from the licence fee :evil: ).

Watched C4... Now watch the German RTE satellite coverage while listening to BBC radio . I will never be a sky customer. If RTE loses its coverage,It'll radio or nothing. I would pay for the FIAs online coverage (as buggy as it is),but sky will not allow that option in the UK.
If you can dial into SRF2 (Swiss) or ORF1 (Austria), you can get the broadcast without the millions of ads on RTL.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Unc1eM0nty

Sky will not get a penny from me, I might be prepared to pay for the Liberty feed but as above I'm in the UK so it's not an option, and from what I heard its a buggy as hell anyway

I searched for a free live feed a few weeks ago, to my suprise I found a site with working HD links, I've watched the last 3 GP's live so haven't had to watch the G4 highlights program, for those who have you have my sympathy :)