Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

3jawchuck wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 13:38
Big Tea wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 13:29
3jawchuck wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 12:58

My original comment was pretty tongue in cheek. One can't tell tone in text though. You'd think I'd have learned that by now :D
Weekly shop today and it genuinely looks like it did before all this started. Nobody distancing, nobody that I could see using the provided hand sanitiser. Really crowded shop too. I dunno what changed between now and last week when it was as you'd expect for the current circumstances.
This weeks results are from behaviour of two weeks ago, what we do now will show as the spike in 2 weeks time
Did I say otherwise?
Corse not, but that's you. Others seem to think its all over and back to 'normal'. The beach front infront of me is quite crowded with walkers and sitters. There is no room for distancing and it will get much busier
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Big Tea wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 14:48
3jawchuck wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 13:38
Big Tea wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 13:29
This weeks results are from behaviour of two weeks ago, what we do now will show as the spike in 2 weeks time
Did I say otherwise?
Corse not, but that's you. Others seem to think its all over and back to 'normal'. The beach front infront of me is quite crowded with walkers and sitters. There is no room for distancing and it will get much busier
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. Thankfully in general where I live there are so few people around it is impossible to get crowded unless you actively try to make a crowd.

raymondu999

Interesting new development at Camp Brackley

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14989 ... l-for-2021
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

raymondu999 wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 06:46
So, Vettel definitely at Merc next year.*

* Knowing Autosport's journalism that is.

raymondu999

lmao! In all seriousness. I do think MGP has good transparent management, and I doubt they are of the type to play shadow games, but we have seen drivers confirmed weeks before seasons started and they just never had a drive at all
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

3jawchuck wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 07:03
raymondu999 wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 06:46
So, Vettel definitely at Merc next year.*

* Knowing Autosport's journalism that is.
That was my first thoughts :D

Valtteri Bottas says he has been told by Mercedes it is not considering signing Sebastian Vettel for the 2021 Formula 1 season, so is looking for a job

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mercedes wouldn't replace Bottas with Vettel. Vettel would be a replacement for Hamilton should Hamilton decide not to resign with the team. There would be no benefit to the team in having Vettel sat next to Hamilton.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 11:32
Valtteri Bottas says he has been told by Mercedes it is not considering signing Sebastian Vettel for the 2021 Formula 1 season, so is looking for a job
I don't follow. Is there a cultural reference I'm missing here? Can someone explain?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 16:25
Mercedes wouldn't replace Bottas with Vettel. Vettel would be a replacement for Hamilton should Hamilton decide not to resign with the team. There would be no benefit to the team in having Vettel sat next to Hamilton.
they could keep more people in manufacturing employed.
#-o that is not a benifit. it is costs.
Anyway, I also see VET and HAM together very unlikely. So I hope they promote Russel and let him race aginst HAM openly. and HAM has to be a good sports. What he always is.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

i see HAM Vs Russel. Russel is unproven and Toto is very risk averse so I cannot see Russel paired with a new driver such as Vettel. And Bottas is not consistent enough to be No. 1.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

raymondu999 wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 17:39
Big Tea wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 11:32
I don't follow. Is there a cultural reference I'm missing here? Can someone explain?
It usually happens that when a boss says XXX has my full support etc, that get dumped the next week.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 13:36
NathanOlder wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 10:20
Yeah, there will almost certainly be a second wave, especially with all these protests going on and thousands of people cramming themselves in to small areas with no respect for social distancing.
I see the danger of the second wave coming from people 'moving in different circles' as much as anything else.
Where I live, we have had a low number comparative to cities, but we are a holiday town and population easily quadruples on a nice weekend, and most of the influx is from cities where the numbers have been high.
The 'Herd immunity' will have kicked in in some areas and not in others. Add this to the rise in population density and mixing circles and it looks to be a big risk.
There is still no firm evidence for herd immunity. I have had the antibody test and tested positive (was pretty sure I would) but I'm still assuming that I could catch it again, or be a carrier without developing symptoms.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 23:29
Big Tea wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 10:20
Yeah, there will almost certainly be a second wave, especially with all these protests going on and thousands of people cramming themselves in to small areas with no respect for social distancing.
I see the danger of the second wave coming from people 'moving in different circles' as much as anything else.
Where I live, we have had a low number comparative to cities, but we are a holiday town and population easily quadruples on a nice weekend, and most of the influx is from cities where the numbers have been high.
The 'Herd immunity' will have kicked in in some areas and not in others. Add this to the rise in population density and mixing circles and it looks to be a big risk.
There is still no firm evidence for herd immunity. I have had the antibody test and tested positive (was pretty sure I would) but I'm still assuming that I could catch it again, or be a carrier without developing symptoms.
Why should immunity be different for SAR-CoV2 than for, say, measles or any other disease? The virus doesn't appear to be changing rapidly so antibodies ought to be able to pick it up. Or is there a concern that it might behave like seasonal flu and mutate enough to make antibodies "time limited"? If we need an annual vaccine for SARS-CoV2, then we're going to have to accept lots of people dying over the next few years. We won't be able to do a lockdown every year.

Jolle
Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 00:24
adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 23:29
Big Tea wrote:

Why should immunity be different for SAR-CoV2 than for, say, measles or any other disease? The virus doesn't appear to be changing rapidly so antibodies ought to be able to pick it up. Or is there a concern that it might behave like seasonal flu and mutate enough to make antibodies "time limited"? If we need an annual vaccine for SARS-CoV2, then we're going to have to accept lots of people dying over the next few years. We won't be able to do a lockdown every year.
One thing we learned is that we do not know everting. We assume that this virus acts more or less the same way as another sars or corona type. But it surprised us a couple of times. Don’t assume and keep following the research.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 00:46
Don’t assume and keep following the research.
I'm assuming nothing. I'm asking questions of a forum member known to us to be a medical professional.

Having read around the subject, it seems that SARS-CoV2 is the seventh virus of its type to jump to humans. Four of these viruses cause a small proportion of colds in people (about 15% of colds IIRC). At least one of these is now thought to have been the virus that caused the "Russian flu" in the late 1800s. The genes of the virus have been tracked back and the emergence in humans coincides with that pandemic. The virus came to humans from cows, it seems.

We may be worried now, but take heart from the suggestion that the virus that causes us a sniffle today, killed millions 150 years ago. Humans will get over SARS-CoV2 and develop immunity. The question is only: at what cost?