Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tangodjango
tangodjango

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 10:12
Albon has shown he is incapable, he should have had that RBR at podium area, he's miles off. He's arguably worse than Bottas in the Merc, which to me just shows that indeed, it's not just the car that makes the championship. That said, Magnussen despite back then being a rookie didn't do much good in the Mclaren either. I think his podium @Mclaren is comparable as the podium Albon managed with RBR. I'd concider both of similar 'potential', with the difference that KMag is far more experienced and matured, and Albon much more sensitive and as such being able to be influenced. Neither will be a step forward. I think they're both VanDoorne types. All better than Palmer for example, but let's concider them midfield drivers. The second RBR seat needs drivers like Ricciardo, Raikkonen, Verstappen, Hamilton, yes even Bottas, Rosberg, Vettel, Norris, Sainz, and probably Perez. Probably Russell too, but it's hard to judge him yet. Which drivers are left then that are 'on it's way'? Perhaps Mick Schumacher, but to be honest, I rather think he's going to be like Bruno Senna. Good, but not probably simply not good enough.

On a side note though, I think Bruno deserved and should have stayed in F1 much more time and see his real potential.
People tend to forget he left motorsports for almost a decade or so, and then suddenly came back and found his way rapid into the F1 field.
IMHO that was pretty impressive, regardless of his famous heritage.
Also, he also ran into bad luck, being replaced and replaced by being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
The saddest part of it is he was meant to debut in 2009 @ BrawnGP (Honda), had Brawn decided to keep him instead of replace him with Rubens,
things would have went down probably a lot different, and we might even have seen Bruno Senna go for the WDC, atleast he would have been P2.
That would have given him plenty of picks to choose from. Perhaps he himself could have gone to Mclaren alongside Hamilton, which surely would
have tested his capabilities to the fullest. I still think if he really was anywhere as good, it would have shown, but who knows.
I have huge doubts he was replaced because he didn't have the talent, rather because he did not bring enough sponsor money or a big 'wallet',
and there was no room for him @ RedBull/ToroRosso. Guys like Kobayashi also got ditched because of their lack of dough in their Wallet.

If I had to pick two drivers in the past decade that i would have wanted to see stay in F1 longer to see their 'true' potential, it would have been
Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi. Two of the biggest losses we had in F1 imho, due to no reason but sponsorship money.

Instead, we got a guy like Kevin Magnussen @ Mclaren. We've had a Palmer in a Renault. We had a Ericsson @ Sauber. We had a Guiterrez @ Sauber.
We had Hartley @ Toro Rosso. We've had Sirotkin @ Williams. We have Stroll. We have Latifi. We've had Grosjean for YEARS!!!! in F1. And it's a matter
of time when Mazepin will join the daddy-son business cahoots in F1.
Of course he's far worse than Bottas. While Bottas is no Rosberg, he saw off Massa, beat Ricciaardo in a spec series and was regarded as a potential future WDC by many. Additionally he has 8 years of F1 experience out of which around 3.5 are in the top team. Albon wasn't really very highly rated and barely got into Alpha Tauri where he managed to keep pace with Kvyat whose been shellacked by Gasly. If RBR really want to put pressure on Mercedes with their second car it's been obvious since the middle of last season they should sign the likes of Alonso or at the very least a Hulkenberg level driver.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Morteza

So Haas will have a totally new line-up for 2021

Last edited by Morteza on 22 Oct 2020, 10:22, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

raymondu999

I feel like Grosjean is not gonna get a stay in F1... Formula E or WEC, perhaps?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Morteza wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 10:18
So Haas will have a totally new line-up for 2021
https://twitter.com/F1/status/1319185769207136258

https://twitter.com/KevinMagnussen/stat ... 97/photo/1
Well If Haas thought making them play nice together and keep quiet was hard previously!!!

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 17:07
I don't see Schumacher going to Haas. There is nothing for Ferrari to gain by placing him there. At Alfa Romeo he has the perfect model in Kimi; knowledge from Ferrari Champion right there in the other car.
Ferrari is going to promote both of their juniors i think, Illot will get the Haas (probably alongside Perez), Schumacher will get the Alfa with Kimi.

Gio goes to GT racing.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Sevach wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 10:39
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I don't see Schumacher going to Haas. There is nothing for Ferrari to gain by placing him there. At Alfa Romeo he has the perfect model in Kimi; knowledge from Ferrari Champion right there in the other car.
Ferrari is going to promote both of their juniors i think, Illot will get the Haas (probably alongside Perez), Schumacher will get the Alfa with Kimi.

Gio goes to GT racing.
Why Illot and not Schwartzmann?

Sevach
Sevach

DChemTech wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 10:41
Sevach wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Gio goes to GT racing.
Schwartzmann fell behind in F2 championship which is why i think they'll go with Illot.
I do think Schwartzmann may be the more naturally talented of the 3, but he fell off the map badly second half of the season.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Sevach wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 10:45
DChemTech wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 10:41
Sevach wrote:

Gio goes to GT racing.
Schwartzmann fell behind in F2 championship which is why i think they'll go with Illot.
I do think Schwartzmann may be the more naturally talented of the 3, but he fell off the map badly second half of the season.
Oh yeah I see, missed the last few F2 races - he fell of quite badly indeed. Fair enough, if Ferrari gets to promote 2, the 2 best scorers would be the natural choice.

Seems Kmag also announced his departure himself now, so there's room for some new faces ;)

Wouter

I think Mazepin and Kvyat, if Dad Mazepin buys the team, only then.
The Power of Dreams!

Starscreamer

2021 what i think:
Mercedes
Hamilton Bottas

Ferrari
Leclerc Sainz

Red Bull
Verstappen Hulkenberg

McLaren
Norris Ricciardo

Renault
Alonso Ocon

Alfa Romeo
Räikkönen Giovinazzi

Aston Martin
Vettel Stroll

Alphatauri
Gasly Tsunoda

HAAS
Mazepin Schumacher

Williams
Perez Latifi
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

6 of 12
6 of 12

Starscreamer wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 11:47
2021 what i think:
[...]
Alfa Romeo
Räikkönen Giovinazzi
[...]
HAAS
Mazepin Schumacher
[...]
I think a Räikkönen & Schumacher line-up at Alfa Romeo is too tempting to have anyone else in the team, so, I'd go for

Räikkönnen & Schumacher @AlfaRomeo

Also: What are these rumours of Gasly to Renault?
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

Schippke
Schippke

I'd love for the likes of Perez and Hulkenberg to go to Haas... would be an awesome line-up and would definitely help them try and develop a bit more in the right direction.

BUT... money talks, so most likely it'll be Mazepin paired with someone else. Haas have said in the past that whilst they've got a Ferrari package, their decisions when it comes to drivers are of their own accords... we'll see how true that is.

Unless there is any drastic change in the F2 season, you'd have to think Raikkonen and Schumacher are basically confirmed for Sauber Romeo... unless Kimi does decide to retire, so 2 FDA rookies potentially?

Gasly to Renault would be a very interesting move, going up against the likes of Alonso... but Ocon is already there, filling the French aspect and they'll most likely give him another season to see how Alonso performs. Maybe Pierre for 2022?

... which brings you to Alpha Tauri. Looks like Kyvat is on the way out with Yuki Tsonda a main replacement. You'd think Red Bull would still want to showcase their drivers programme, so hiring another driver to join outside of it would look a bit wrong from a business stand point.

The biggest disappointment would be loosing George Russell off the grid, and if recent rumours are true, that could very much be a reality, especially if Perez is set to join in, carrying a lot of sponsorship. In saying that... imagine George Russell going to Haas, could also be very exciting!

PlatinumZealot

GRO MAG are out.
Two more spaces freed up.

Been getting a bit too used to those two screwing around back there. Time to get two new screw ups.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kptaylor
kptaylor

I guess it'll be Perez & Latifi for Williams since the new owners want money to rebuild the team and then sell to profit. Shame for Russell but hopefully frees him up from a Merc contract to be available to any team. Would love to see a VER/RUS team @ RB!

gshevlin
gshevlin

I expect Romain to sign to be the lead driver for Peugeot for their WEC Hypercar program.
KMag may need to think seriously about Indycar to continue in single-seaters.