COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JonoNic

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

nzjrs wrote:Some are missing some wood for the trees.

I'll ignore the lethality for now, let's say 5% of people get critically ill (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-51689667).

How many ICU hospital beds does your country have?

That number, multiplied by the infection rate (which is high for this novel virus) is quite worrying. Everyone getting it at once is a problem and to the degree that containment slows it down and buys time for vaccination development or warmer weather (although even this is still only a hypothesis) I believe it is a good idea.
In Shenyang, we had 10 new infections about 3 days after the city lock down when it all started in China. There were no cases reported before those 10. Ultimately the cases in the city never rose higher than 32, at the moment we have about 14 ill. It would've been much higher if the lock down was delayed.
Always find the gap then use it.

Phil

Switzerland has had 18 confirmed infections in less than a week (all from italy) and the number is surely going to increase.

The government has cancelled all events of over 1000 people, but sone states have set that number to as low as 50 in an attempt to keep track of who was infected and how.

This has also resulted in the Geneva international motor show being cancelled.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

nzjrs

The american physical society just cancelled their largest conference (~10,000 attendees, Denver Colorado) - WITH 2 DAYS NOTICE!
(off topic for most I guess, but affects me professionally)

JonoNic

Well this raises my original how many of the countries from this year's championship have at least one confirmed case. I guess quite a few
Always find the gap then use it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

As an aside, if the season is cancelled - and I don't think it will be at all - what happens to the money? Will some teams struggle if they don't receive their points-related money from the FIA etc.?

Could Covid19 kill an F1 team?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 15:49
As an aside, if the season is cancelled - and I don't think it will be at all - what happens to the money? Will some teams struggle if they don't receive their points-related money from the FIA etc.?

Could Covid19 kill an F1 team?
With the last market crash, the sponsors pulled back I believe.

I think Covid market hysteria is a larger threat to the teams than actual infection.

adrianjordan

the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:21
adrianjordan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:16
Let's put some perspective on this, the virus is less deadly than Flu, yet we don't ban events because of flu.

As others have said, higher temperatures will limit the spread of the virus.

Finally I was talking to an infectious diseases doctor the other day (I'm a healthcare professional) and they fully expect this virus to be fully global within a month and the containment efforts to stop. At the moment all the quarantine efforts etc are to try and reduce the spread, but as expected they're failing.

This virus is reported as having a fatality rate of less than 2% and that is probably an overestimate as there will be people who are infected but asymptomatic.

Fatality rates are expected to be similar to Influenza A.

The biggest hope is that a vaccine can be developed quickly that can halt the spread of the disease and introduce some herd immunity to protect the more vulnerable.

Bringing this back to F1, I don't see any more races being cancelled - because the containment phase will end and it will just become another virus that's out there and life will go on.

I'm basing all of this on the daily updates we're getting at work from the Department of Health, NHS England and WHO, with just a dash of professional knowledge and judgement added in.
That’s not true...

The death rate is believed to be around 1% which is 10x deadlier than the flu
Sorry, that is just wrong. The fatality rate for influenza A is between 1 and 2% each year. If you include the other strains of flu then that skews the figure.

What do you do for a living? I am on the front line of dealing with this and get daily updates. I can't share them on here as they are confidential NHS documents, but the actual information is out there if you look hard enough.

Remember as well that the rate if China will be artificially HIGH because there will be people with mild symptoms who have not been diagnosed as having Covid-19, whereas in the UK, Italy etc, people are coming forward with very, very mild symptoms - in the past 3 weeks I've been sent to people with a sore throat and other very mild cold symptoms, who have returned from overseas and so get swabbed. We're going to pick up the mild cases as a result.

Do some research, don't just believe what you read in the Media who are using this to create headlines and clickbait.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Zynerji wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:04

I think Covid market hysteria is a larger threat to the teams than actual infection.
This. 10,000x this.

The media is blowing this out of all proportion and then social media is just feeding that hysteria.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

basti313
basti313

nzjrs wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 15:31
The american physical society just cancelled their largest conference (~10,000 attendees, Denver Colorado) - WITH 2 DAYS NOTICE!
(off topic for most I guess, but affects me professionally)
Yes...I see it even worse: The tutorials and setup of the exhibition start today 9am. They canceled at ~8pm yesterday. All students, companies, etc. are already in Denver, most international attendees in the planes.
Are they completely crazy?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:36
Zynerji wrote:

This. 10,000x this.

The media is blowing this out of all proportion and then social media is just feeding that hysteria.
One wonders why Govts are reacting as they are if COVID19 is no worse than any other flu.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 17:03
adrianjordan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:36
Zynerji wrote:

This. 10,000x this.

One wonders why Govts are reacting as they are if COVID19 is no worse than any other flu.
Media driven hysteria?

the EDGE
the EDGE

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:34
This is my source, don’t shout at me. The Guardian is a very respected broadsheet newspaper so if you feel it is wrong because your ‘on the front line dealing with it’ then you should probably tell them

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/no-worse-flu- ... 14554.html?

Zynerji

the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 17:13
adrianjordan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:34
This is my source, don’t shout at me. The Guardian is a very respected broadsheet newspaper so if you feel it is wrong because your ‘on the front line dealing with it’ then you should probably tell them

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/no-worse-flu- ... 14554.html?
I am starting to think that it's a diabolical ploy of collusion between media hacks and market short-sellers.

It's a great way to effect several upcoming elections around the world.

Wouter

In the Netherlands:

The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment announced on Sunday that a few new cases of infection with the new corona virus have been detected, bringing the total number of infections to ten. The Beatrix hospital in Gorinchem has set a recording and visitor stop.

A total of ten people are currently infected with the corona virus in the Netherlands, four people in the Tilburg area, three people in the Amsterdam area, and one patient from Delft, one from Gorinchem and one from Coevorden.
The Power of Dreams!

turbof1

It'll also depend on the weather. Moisty cold air is very likely to increase the infection rate. However, if weather gets dryer and warmer, we could see the pandemy die out extremely quickly.

Overall, there is enough concern for government to take measures, but not enough to dive into mass hysteria. Maybe a few F1 races will be cancelled, but certainly not a whole season.
#AeroFrodo