2020 - Year in Review

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fulcrum
Fulcrum

2020 - Year in Review

Apart from a competitive fight for the titles, and the obvious health-related circumstances, I enjoyed the 2020 F1 season.

- 2 wins for customer engine teams.
- Perez breaks his duck.
- Gasly wins in Monza.
- Russell shows us a glimpse of the future.
- Ferrari (and Seb in particular) have a 'mare of a season.
- Random appearances from tracks I thought would never see F1 action.
- We actually had a season, after the debacle to begin with in Australia.

Post your highlights, low-lights, reflections and comments on the season that almost never was.

haza
haza

Re: 2020 - Year in Review

Norris podium right out the gate was a stand out one for me, Grosjeans crash also was a surprise to me because I never ever thought a car would split in half and explode the way it did.

The whole racing point copying gate was an interesting one as well I honestly thought at one point the where going to get a DQ I actually thought the whole copying idea was genius even though a lot of people opposed the idea

Pierre gasly was a highlight of the season showed very good pace and his win is up there also showed that he has top team material

Ferrari I had a feeling would lose some pace but not to the extent they did found it very interesting how good Charles was with the car and how seb was so far back I do believe that the cars were not the same and that they prioritised Charles

Overall the season was much better than recent years despite COVID 19 some of the stand in tracks produced good races

Zynerji

Loved the racing venues.
Hated the predictable outcomes (bar Monza and Sakhir).
Loved the drama of fill-in drivers (Hulk, Russell, Aitkin, Fitipaldi)
Hated the masked interviews. We lost a lot of facial emotion. Saw no joy nor disgust. Just eyes.
Loved the record breaking/tying.
Hated that I saw a modern car split in half on track.

Ups and downs. Couldn't ask for a better (modern) season.

PlatinumZealot

Perez hitting his peak and really matruing as an elite driver has me exciting for next year.

Always rated George so i was not surprised at his speed. Scoring point for Williams would have gotten me more excited.

The "new" tracks were really awesome. Portugal and mugello i liked the most. Imola looked pretty and unforgiving but the racing was a bit dull.

Hukenback.

Alonso plus R25

The black panther or BLM mercedes livery or whatever you wanna call it! Was the best one. So menacing.

Lewis and the whole activist thing. it was funny, shocking and worrying! To see the reactions of other fans about a man standing up for equal justice. Some gross misunderstandings and outirght ignorance were on display. I forgive them though.

DAS and was a bit disappointing.

Those 2 milimeters were fun for a short period though.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
20 Dec 2020, 07:07

The black panther or BLM mercedes livery or whatever you wanna call it! Was the best one. So menacing.
This livery was beautiful.

Will they retain the aesthetic and message for 2021, or revert to the silver?

Big Tea

Fulcrum wrote: ↑
20 Dec 2020, 12:31

I must be in a minority as I far prefer the silver. Bu then again its about minority's so I may be lucky
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Big Tea wrote: ↑
20 Dec 2020, 13:09

I must be in a minority as I far prefer the silver. Bu then again its about minority's so I may be lucky
I like the Black but I also want it to return to silver too.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Scorpaguy

Highlight - mid pack racing and interesting venues, the outer ring at Sakhir shows that F1 needs to be a bit more track diverse

Low point - continued Merc domination (but W11 will be remembered as a true Monster in F1 annals, possibly the GOAT along with Ham)

Liveries - best...Burgundy Ferrari / worst...Merc (Ren knows how to do black)

Drivers - best...Max / worst...Bot (waste of time)

Surprise - best...Checo (Vive Mexico!) / worst...AR and Haas (CRAP!!!)

Best moment - Gros wriggling out of that conflagration of anF1 car

Question for 2021 - Does Checo's rep continue to ascend while Ric's continue to descend

LM10
LM10

They will go black for another season and revert to silver in 2022. Something like returning to their roots for the new era as far as I remember was how Toto explained it.

Moore77

Overall best driver of 2020 - Max Verstappen.
Best Racing Team - Mercedes (despite the sakhir blunder) /McLaren
Best Car - No brainer, W11 - The fastest of all time, the smoothest and the most perfect car ever designed
Best Race performance - Hamilton (Turkey) / Russell in Sakhir.
Best Livery - Black Mercedes
Biggest Underperformer - Racing Point/Bottas
Shocker of the season - Ferrari
Good riddance - Grosjean/Magnussen/Kvyat

Big applause for FIA for their COVID protocols amd executing a full season.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Biggest bummer: RB once again promising to take it up to Mercedes, and once again botching it (even harder).
Biggest delight: the downfall of Ferrari. Serves them right for cheating.
Biggest unexpected driver gap: Also Ferrari. Charles vs. Seb was just staggering, and while I expected Charles to win - not by this margin.
Biggest injustice: Hulk not returning to F1 permanently. Or, the rise of billionaire boys.
Biggest driver surprise: Stroll not actually being that bad this year. Not great still, but, not bad either.

Phil

I'm extremely impressed with F1 as a whole. They've made a season work in the most difficult of circumstances. If you review the Covid thread, you'll find comments from me stating that I find it very unlikely to see any race this year. Oh how wrong I was. F1 and Liberty made it work and they've made it work in style, while showing the world how it could be done. Extremely impressed and thankful we got to see a season that has been just as entertaining, thrilling and emotional as others.

In fact, this season has also excelled for me by going to venues that we've never seen before.

Full thumbs up to F1.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. β€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

No mention of Renault's resurgence? Ricciardo finally back on the podium and the return of Fred for 2021 were definitely highlights for me this season.

Also Honda announcing their withdrawal from F1 (lowlight obviously).

notsofast
notsofast

@Zynerji suggested a while back that sharing of design information may be a useful way of reducing costs. We got a taste of that this year with the pink Mercedes. Racing Point was competitive but not dominant. I think @Zynerji is on to something. Anyway, that is one my take-aways from this season.

Also, let's put Mugello in that TBC slot.

bauc

Loved the ''new'' races on the calendar
I enjoyed the battle for 3rd in the constructors
Super happy that after all we still got 17 races this year
Loved the bromance between Carlos and Norris

Hated the predictability of the races
Dissapointed by Bottas performances in terms of championship fight
Π€ΠΎΡ€ΠΌΡƒΠ»Π° 1 Π½Π° МакСдонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg