New bendy wing tests

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JordanMugen

New bendy wing tests

Hamilton notes the RBR having an overly bendy rear wing, and 3 days later the FIA announces a new series of tests.

Article 3.9.9 of F1’s Technical Regulations states: “The FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.”

For the new test, the FIA is focusing on the behaviour of wings as they rotate backwards.

The tests will include limiting the rear wing to just one degree of rotation about an axis normal to the centre plane when two rearward and horizontal 750N loads are applied at a set location. A further test, involving a 1000N vertical and downforce force, will similarly allow just one degree of rotation.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... s/6507003/

A most curious development! :)

Speaking about Hamilton’s claims regarding a bendy wing, Horner said: “I was surprised to see his comments on that. But it's something that Toto has mentioned to me previously. I doubt it was Lewis' opinion, so probably came from elsewhere.”
So much for FIA targeting only Mercedes-Benz with technical directives. :wink:

You'd imagine it would be quite a scramble for Red Bull and (everyone else) to design a more rigid rear wing endplate in the space of two weeks, hence the FIA will allow the bendy wings to remain for three more Grands Prix.

Lap time loss could be quite considerable from this technical directive, couldn't it? Perhaps of the order of multiple tenths per lap?

hollus

Re: New bendy wing tests

This is already being discussed in the aero subforum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29817

Please go on there.
Rivals, not enemies.