Verstappen has never won a championship (29-Nov-2021), possibly soon outdated.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Posts split from the Jeddah GP thread. They are on topic here.

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 23:21
So this race is the first chance for Max to become World Champion. It was only today I realised that if he wins, he becomes part of the group on champions in a car. As it stands, Verstappen, Latifi and Mazepin are the only drivers on the grid never to win a championship in a car. Max surely doesn't belong in that group :? :lol:
Exactly so. Didn't bother with the usual route of going through the junior formulae, just went from karts to F1 via a single season in F3 in which he came third.

If he wins this year, he'll be the first Belgian to win the title as well as the first Dutch racing license holder to win the title. If he wins this season he'll become the fourth youngest driver to win the title behind Seb, Lewis and Fernando. If he doesn't win this year, he'll stay at the top of the list of drivers with most race wins without the title. Have to say that I don't see him staying at the top of that list this year - I think he'll take the 2021 title.

If Lewis wins, he'll move up to 8th on the list of oldest champions knocking Damon Hill down to 9th. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

NathanOlder wrote:
So this race is the first chance for Max to become World Champion. It was only today I realised that if he wins, he becomes part of the group on champions in a car. As it stands, Verstappen, Latifi and Mazepin are the only drivers on the grid never to win a championship in a car. Max surely doesn't belong in that group :? :lol:
Are you sure that’s correct? max hasn’t won a championship? Leclerc and Ocon denied him all his career?

Aesop

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 00:35
NathanOlder wrote:
Exactly so. Didn't bother with the usual route of going through the junior formulae, just went from karts to F1 via a single season in F3 in which he came third.

If he wins this year, he'll be the first Belgian to win the title as well as the first Dutch racing license holder to win the title.
He doesn't have the belgian nationality anymore, since his 18th birthday.

Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

Aesop wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 10:41
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 00:35
NathanOlder wrote:

If he wins this year, he'll be the first Belgian to win the title as well as the first Dutch racing license holder to win the title.
He doesn't have the belgian nationality anymore, since his 18th birthday.
Ah, ok. Let me change that to "Belgium-born" then. I think that's still the case that no Belgian-born driver has won the title.

Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 10:33
NathanOlder wrote:
Are you sure that’s correct? max hasn’t won a championship? Leclerc and Ocon denied him all his career?
Max hasn't won a car championship. He has some karting titles but only did a season in a car in F3 before moving to F1. He came 3rd in F3.

AeroDynamic

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 10:51
AeroDynamic wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Max hasn't won a car championship. He has some karting titles but only did a season in a car in F3 before moving to F1. He came 3rd in F3.
With all due respect, that doesn’t make a lot of sense

Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 10:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

What doesn't? Max won karting titles. He did one season in cars in F3 and came third. That's all on the record.

Or do you mean that karts should be considered as cars? Generally speaking when discussing a driver's career it is usually split in to "karts" and "cars" to differentiate between the very different natures of them even though they both have four wheels.

AeroDynamic

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:11
AeroDynamic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

What doesn't? Max won karting titles. He did one season in cars in F3 and came third. That's all on the record.

Or do you mean that karts should be considered as cars? Generally speaking when discussing a driver's career it is usually split in to "karts" and "cars" to differentiate between the very different natures of them even though they both have four wheels.

I thought you had to win championships to get enough FIA license points to drive in F1.

Look at Jamie Chadwick, she’s won two titles back to back, in a ‘car’ championship, and still hasn’t got enough points, and from what I understand, her W series car is more or less an F3 car?

How did max get into F1 with enough points with no championships in lower categories?

Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

I thought you had to win championships to get enough FIA license points to drive in F1.

Look at Jamie Chadwick, she’s won two titles back to back, in a ‘car’ championship, and still hasn’t got enough points, and from what I understand, her W series car is more or less an F3 car?

How did max get into F1 with enough points with no championships in lower categories?
The rules were changed after Max got in. The new rules that came in from 2016 are nicely summarised here:
From next year any new applicant for a super licence must be the holder of a valid driving licence and at least 18 years old by the start of the first F1 race weekend. The driver must answer questions on the international sporting code and regulations and have completed at least 80% of two full seasons of qualifying championships. New drivers must also have covered at least 300km in a representative F1 car at racing speeds and over a two-day period.
[...]
Drivers will acquire points from the junior categories, with 40 points needed in a three-year period before a super licence can be granted. Only five series will offer an immediate 40 points or more to the overall winner: a future FIA F2 championship, the current GP2 feeder series, European F3, the world endurance championship and Indy Car in the United States. The GP3 series and Formula Renault 3.5 world series, both of which have served as a direct springboard into Formula One in recent years, would provide only 30 points to the winner from a single season.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... verstappen

Basically Max wouldn't have got in to F1 today. Kimi wouldn't have either as he took a short cut back in the day.

I don't know if the W series has been added to the list of qualifying junior formulae. If Jamie can't qualify for the super licence then that would suggest the W Series isn't considered a qualifying formula by the FIA. It ought to - there are 20 drivers from around the world in it and the car meets F3 homologation rules.

AeroDynamic

I see. 😉. Thanks for explaining 😉😉

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
Max hasn't won a car championship.
He has some karting titles but only did a season in a car in F3 before moving to F1. He came 3rd in F3.
I am not a Max fan, but to say he has "some" karting titles is not true.
It is abnormal how many races and championships he has won when in most championships he was undefeated
or finished second in one or two races.
Moreover, he was always several years younger than the other participants.
That sounds like an excellent karting career to me. No one has ever equaled this, not even a little.

Ongeslagen means undefeated.
Winst means won.

ImageImage
The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:34
AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:19
Just_a_fan wrote:

The rules were changed after Max got in. The new rules that came in from 2016 are nicely summarised here:
From next year any new applicant for a super licence must be the holder of a valid driving licence and at least 18 years old by the start of the first F1 race weekend. The driver must answer questions on the international sporting code and regulations and have completed at least 80% of two full seasons of qualifying championships. New drivers must also have covered at least 300km in a representative F1 car at racing speeds and over a two-day period.
[...]
Drivers will acquire points from the junior categories, with 40 points needed in a three-year period before a super licence can be granted. Only five series will offer an immediate 40 points or more to the overall winner: a future FIA F2 championship, the current GP2 feeder series, European F3, the world endurance championship and Indy Car in the United States. The GP3 series and Formula Renault 3.5 world series, both of which have served as a direct springboard into Formula One in recent years, would provide only 30 points to the winner from a single season.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... verstappen

Basically Max wouldn't have got in to F1 today. Kimi wouldn't have either as he took a short cut back in the day.

I don't know if the W series has been added to the list of qualifying junior formulae. If Jamie can't qualify for the super licence then that would suggest the W Series isn't considered a qualifying formula by the FIA. It ought to - there are 20 drivers from around the world in it and the car meets F3 homologation rules.
W Series does reward Super Licence points, 15pts for winning the series, then 12, 10 , 7 , 5 , 3 , 2 & 1pt
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

xaero

Wouter wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
I am not a Max fan
Very difficult to digest above. Sorry couldn't resist :mrgreen:
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

Tommy Cookers

what does eg a Moto GP WC do to get into F1 ?
(eg the Valentino Rossi case)

there was nothing to stop eg John Surtees or Bill Ivy winning the F1 WDC ? - if given the best car (as 2007 LH)
JY Stewart said Ivy was the next big thing ('out qualifying' all the WCs in F2 Thruxton in an 'old' car)

and Rosemeyer of course

AeroDynamic

xaero wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:23
Wouter wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
I am not a Max fan
Very difficult to digest above. Sorry couldn't resist :mrgreen:
Max fans, max advocates, there’s a difference :wink: