Testing cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mclaren11
Mclaren11

Testing cars

Why do teams that have already introduced their new cars test with their old onesd. this year it has only been mclaren, but I remember other teams doing it last year.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well.....I other teams case most of the times it's because they don't have enough parts to duild a second car...and have some spairs.....in Mclarens case they probably prefer to test a reliable car that has 34 races under its belt.....the car has been tested and has proven...! ....the new car is still doing reliability tests....checking suspension parametres.....figuring ou setups....and all other system checks. The old car has all the suspension parametres figured out and optimised.....while the new one is still checking everything.

KJ
KJ

To add to Monstroboloxa's comments, when testing the MP4-19, so much has been changed, it's hard to tell "what helped the most" and "what may actually be hurting performance".

By using last years car to test individual items, they can determine whether something is helpful or not (and to what extent).

I suspect that McLaren will be running 2 MP4-19's when testing resumes in the new year. From the looks of it, the MP4-19 is going to be the car to beat next year!

- KJ

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I'd say 2 MP4/19 and 1 MP4/17D.....just to have a comparison....

whow i get race car engeneering magazine by net scarbs?

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

Try subscribing on the website :roll: :wink:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH OF READING THOSE MAGAZINES!!!

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

I thought Renault has scrapped their plans to use wide angle engine, why are they still testing it? They can't produce a chasis that fits their more narrow angle engine in a month, so they are certainly testing with the wide angle engine.and i want to know whether renault will be using a 90 degree engine or 72 degree, i heard on some sources that their 04 engine is based on the 2000 Supertec engine.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well....about Renault testing the wide V angle engine...it's an easy question.....the 2004 engine isn't ready yet....and probably it wouldn't fit in the R23 chassis....it would be a little expnsive to put the 2004 in the 2003 chassis....they'd have to change the mounting points of the engine on the chassis....the airbox, engine cover, radiator....this would mean a sligtly wider car....so the under tray....probably the gearbox and with this the suspension......so they would have a lot of work.....when they're trying to finish the 2004 car.....even if they did tests with the 2004 rear end of the car I don't think i would work that well the 2003 car has totally diferent dynamics then the 2004.

About the engine.....we had a thread a few months back....well I read that they'd use the 2000 supertec engine as a base of development.....and the 72º...according to Ranault engine guru.....but some people here say that renualt will use a 90º......so we'll have to wait.

I read in F1racing mag that for 2004 Renault will be using a 72 degree engine which will be based on the old supertech lump. and for 2005 they will be using a all new 90 degree engine.

Sounds like allot of changing around to me. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well...I also read that.

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

I read the same thing regarding the angle on the Renault engine. Though I also read somewhere else (cant remember wether it was F1 Racing or on F1Live).....mmmmmm. :roll:
It was about the new transmission Renault were developing all I can remember was that it was going to be smaller and lighter to help with CofG on the new chassis. Got to find that article now.