Single Engine Weekend

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
uzael
uzael

Single Engine Weekend

The concept of the single engine weekend while I agree with economically has left me feeling like the system could be very easily abused. We've seen time and time again that even when a driver is at the back of the grid, if his car is fast enough he can end up at the front again. Since the penalty for blowing an engine would be a 10 place drop on the grid, it's unlikely to be a sufficient deterrant. My suggestion would be to impose a time penalty on the car involved during the race itself. Since all race take roughtly the same amount of time, plus or minus 15 minutes, wouldn't it make sense to simply add 1 minute to their total race time at the end of the event? That would add significantly more impetous to the engine manufacturers to make engines last. Also I think it would discourage the smaller teams from running a suped up engine, getting pole position, letting the engine blow, then putting a new hot unit in the back?

Does anyone else have any ideas about possible ways to enforce the single engine weekend?
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

TD
TD

well personally I think this is just another STUPID rule that has never been applied to any other form of motor racing, and that is what it is "motor racing" right. Anything and everything can go wrong from a 2 cent part to a piston shredding itself.... WHO could ever guarantee what part of the engine could survive the w/ends tests ???

As I see this rule we will be down to a very limited Pit to start the race and well Ferrari only really have 2 other contenders so I think they would be "ecconomical" with the performance from their engine , which would mean SLOWER lap times in the interest of preservation..

AND THIS IS MOTOR RACING ???? I doubt it

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

This rule is just used to save money. If the penalty of 10 place drop on the grid isn't enough, the FIA should charge the certain team that blew up an engine with money. That sound reasonable. But I don't think teams who use last year's engine(like Jordan, Sauber and Minardi) won't do well with this rule.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well the rule does exist....not exactly like in F1....but in the DTM and V8 Star championship they have a one engine per season deal!....and they may change the engine 1 or 2 times during the season...but the organizers have to be present and seal the engine for verifications to confirm that the engine infact had to be changed. But I don't know the penalty for this enine change.

In Nascar there is also a one-engine-per-weekend rule.....but I don't know the penalty....

akbar21881
akbar21881

for me this rule is stupid.F1 cars should be allowed to run at its maximum ability with the highest possible technology to extract maximum possible performance.the car should be allowed to be set up according to situation,ie different set up for qualifying and another for the race,not fixing up engine and set up at the start of the weekend.

TD
TD

Yep I agree AKBAR.

Formula 1 WAS the development Theatre for normal road going cars, like the Radial Tyre/disk Brake etc etc etc oh and ABS braking, now outlawed in F1 ????? BUT they have developed the HANS sytems for driver safety, so maybe that will be included in normal road cars !!! I can just picture it, you hop in your car for a trip to the shop, strap on the HANS and helmet, do up the 6 point seat belt, blow in the breath analyser tube to see if you are drunk, then drive your Ferrari at break neck speed, without ABS brakes, but TONS of power ????? But of course the engine will be controlled by a zillion computers and to even get the thing to make a noise you will need 10 people controlling something in the engine department :shock:

I ask is F1 any different to GOLF ?? The old courses that the pro's played on were TOO SHORT when Tiger Woods came on the scene, so what did they do ?? Change the course's.. So whats different in F1, cars get faster so make the tracks able to handle the cars not change the cars to a point where they are TIED DOWN.... I have my doubts that any engineer will be able to create and engine that will be on a par with 2003 specs and last the distance.. Just my 2 cents worth :D