The Greatest "Rainmaster"?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tom

Actually Ciro you may be interested to know that our good friend Jacky got a lot of stick after the 1984 Monaco event for waiting so long to red flag it. Of course his reply was 'I could have managed out there, why couldn't they?' and, I think I've mentioned this before, had the race gone full distance and Alan been overtaken by Senna to finish second, Prost would have won the championship that year by 1.5 points, receiving 6 points for 2nd instead of 4.5 for leading at the red flag.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Jason

What about Jackie Stewart? He won in Nurburgring 1968 with a 4 minutes gap in wet and foggy conditions!! :shock: He described it as his best drive in his career.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

waynes
waynes

Jason wrote:What about Jackie Stewart? He won in Nurburgring 1968 with a 4 minutes gap in wet and foggy conditions!! :shock: He described it as his best drive in his career.
a drive that all too often gets forgotten about

tiago Figueiredo

Sawtooth-spike wrote: Last years Rain master was Button without a doubt, The only wet race of the year and he won it.
But remember when the track was wet, Alonso were flying
whiplash wrote:There is no argument for me Senna was the rainmaster

I agree, not only the rainmaster, but probably the better pilot of ever...
Tiago Figueiredo

Principessa

I agree with Davekillens: Jackie Ickx (to keep the Belgian pride high :wink: )

kurtiejjj
kurtiejjj

manchild wrote:To determine who was "rain master" (title originally given to Senna) do following - add all crashes drivers from your list had in wet conditions and than you'll see that Senna is so far ahead and that Schuey is very average.

Schuey crashed twice in Spa on wet, once in Monaco, once in Brazil, he hit 2 or 3 drivers in Hungary 2006... as I've said put a list of all wet races driven by Senna, Schuey and someone else and than check how many DNF and collisions in such conditions each of them had and everything will be crystal clear to you.
Oh there we go again with Mr. Manchild! Our beloved Schumacher and Ferrari hater! :roll:

Now on a more serious not I would say the rainmaster could've been anyone from the 80s turbo era. I mean more than 750HP on the wheels in a car that was not as technologically and aerodynamically advanced current F1 cars with the same power would require some skill!

I would also say Jos verstappen he was quite great in a lot of wet races I remember him in the arrows driving on 3rd or 4th place for example!

Sawtooth-spike

kurtiejjj wrote:
manchild wrote:To determine who was "rain master" (title originally given to Senna) do following - add all crashes drivers from your list had in wet conditions and than you'll see that Senna is so far ahead and that Schuey is very average.

Schuey crashed twice in Spa on wet, once in Monaco, once in Brazil, he hit 2 or 3 drivers in Hungary 2006... as I've said put a list of all wet races driven by Senna, Schuey and someone else and than check how many DNF and collisions in such conditions each of them had and everything will be crystal clear to you.
Oh there we go again with Mr. Manchild! Our beloved Schumacher and Ferrari hater! :roll:

Now on a more serious not I would say the rainmaster could've been anyone from the 80s turbo era. I mean more than 750HP on the wheels in a car that was not as technologically and aerodynamically advanced current F1 cars with the same power would require some skill!

I would also say Jos verstappen he was quite great in a lot of wet races I remember him in the arrows driving on 3rd or 4th place for example!
Sorry but i dont see anything wrong with Manchilds Opinion. He was basicly saying that in his opinion Senna was "the Rain master". And Qualifyed that by saying if you to both there wet race records you would probably see Senna Has more DNF.

Nothing Anti Ferrari or Anti Scheuy there what so ever.

tiago, your right when it was wet alonso was flying, but Button was closing him down. Also remember how Button made those Tyres last over 2 stops.

Only real way to get a real crown out of this is to do a Wet races taken part in - DNF (for not Techinal Reasons) - Spins (in wet races) then Times plus 10 for P1 finsh plus 8 for P2 and so on. just off the top of my head with that one. I could add more like Quaily posistion if wet (only on wet runs). that would give you your answer.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

manchild
manchild

Sawtooth-spike wrote:And Qualifyed that by saying if you to both there wet race records you would probably see Senna Has more DNF.
I've lost you on this one. I wanted to say that Schuey had much more DNF and crashes on wet than Senna. As much as I can remember Senna had one spin on wet. I really can't remember him crashing and DNF on wet which is opposite to Schuey. Got to admit I've secretly hoped that Ciro will pop out with some of his amazing statistics with number of wet races Senna and Schuey participated in and results from those races so we can let the figures tell the truth.

I've tried googling for statistics of all wet races ever but couldn't find such thing.

bizadfar
bizadfar

Umm, please show me the cars he hit??
I have the onboard race on my HDD, and I can completely say those were almost indirect. Yes he banged wheels, and yes the genuine error was with Nick Heidfield. But the front wing against Fisichella, if you watch the onboard view it was a correction. He had no choice. And I'm sure if you ever done track driving, as soon as the car slides/oversteers its completely 2nd nature to correct it. Or would you rather spin around and have a chance at getting collected by the guy behind?

bizadfar
bizadfar

Sawtooth-spike wrote:I would say Schumacher used to be a rain master.

But it recent Years we have seen a number of Wet race errors from him.

Hugary last year

Spa When he Hit DC

Brazil a few years ago

I know this is just a few but i am sure there is a few more.

Last years Rain master was Button without a doubt, The only wet race of the year and he won it.
Watch Schumi's China 2006 outlap on a drying track. Infact I"ll try post it just turn 1:
[IMG:1280:1024]http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5155 ... ionte8.jpg[/img]
100% opposite lock, and he kept it on the dry line. Please tell me if button or Barichello can do that?

Tom

I reakon they could, its just not as public when they have a rare moment, the idea is that Schmacher is a 6 time champion, therefore he shouldn't be having these moments anyway, yet when he does everyone sees and makes a big deal of it when he saves it. With the others, well they'r expected to spin, its nothing special, people don't take photos of it.

Watch the qualifying for the 2000 British GP, Villenurve had a huge moment whle on the limit coming out of abbey and into bridge, had he just put on opposite lock he would have had a huge crash (and probably walked away like nothing had happened) instead he brakes so that the front wheels lock and flick back into line with the rears, downshifts to stop the read wheels spining and arrives at the apex of bridge flat as if nothing had happened. That was an iconic peice of driving for me, no one else paid any attention because Schumacher had just corrected a tiny slide with a measly bit of opposite lock and lost a second round vale.

I really doubt any other driver would have recovered the way Jaques did, and kept driving maximum attack. I doubt Michael could have, he's not all that special.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

G-Rock
G-Rock

Watch the qualifying for the 2000 British GP, Villenurve had a huge moment whle on the limit coming out of abbey and into bridge, had he just put on opposite lock he would have had a huge crash (and probably walked away like nothing had happened) instead he brakes so that the front wheels lock and flick back into line with the rears, downshifts to stop the read wheels spining and arrives at the apex of bridge flat as if nothing had happened. That was an iconic peice of driving for me, no one else paid any attention because Schumacher had just corrected a tiny slide with a measly bit of opposite lock and lost a second round vale.
Nice story Tom! I bet he learned that piece of unconventional driving style from his oval track days.

At Indianapolis, if you use opposite lock during oversteer, you're into the wall head first before you can say sh%^! You have to go against your instincts and just let the car go and slide into the infield, or spin around and try and catch it down the straightaway (when you're pointed forwards of course)

These are the things that scared Schumacher whenever the topic of oval racing came up. He always got overly defensive at any mention of oval track racing.

What JV did at that British GP is something that can only come from experience. It rivals JV's pass on Schumi on the outside at 170mph at Portugal I believe it was. That also had oval experience written all over it.
--------------------------------------------------------

bizadfar
bizadfar

I also have the turkey race onboard, and in one of the laps he had quite a big/fast one(I would say 60% OL) in the middle of turn 8, was exciting to watch.
I just don't see anyone drive near the limit and exceed it like so OFTEN.
What position did villeneuve come in 2000 @ silverstone qualifying?
How about Michael's 2001 Sepang pole lap. Braking for those blind corners, I've never seen so MUCH steering input. He also had a big slide in turn 12 and still grabbed pole.
Monaco 1996 is another example.

Sawtooth-spike

Sorry MC, I was at work and rushing, and after reading it it makes no sence what so ever. I was ment to imply that Senna has Less DNF's. Sorry my bad.

Interesting point about The opposite lock thing. Could button do it in the wet?, Well last season he managed to get a top 10 time with his traction control off becasue it was broken.... and I think.... that was in the wet.... but i am not 100% sure. I am by no means saying JB is the best in the wet, i am just feel that last year he had probably the best wet race record.

By the way whatever happend to wet races. the year senna died i am sure there were almost more wet races than dry one?, now we are lucky if we get one in a season. I for one really enjoy a wet race becasue it A: sorts the men from the boys, and B: mixes up the race a little.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

manchild
manchild

Finally a bit of data...

Senna penalties

1 62 12 1987 - 16 - AUS Lotus - Honda dsq 4/ 2 4/ 2 - Oversized brake ducts
2 63 " 1988 - 1 - BRA McLaren - Honda dsq 1/ 1 1/ 1 - Change car after warm up lap
3 93 1 1989 - 15 - JPN " dsq 1/ 1 1/ 1 - Push start

--------------------------------------

Michael Schumacher penalties

1 1994 - 8 - GBR 2 race ban Ignoring black flag Banned from Italian and Spanish GPs
2 1997 - 14 - AUT 10 second stop-go Passing under yellow flags
3 1998 - 5 - ESP " Pit lane speeding
4 1998 - 7 - CAN " Causing accident
5 1998 - 9 - GBR " Passing under yellow flags Penalty avoided because the stewards imposed the penalty too late in the race - M. Schumacher won the race in the pit-lane
6 2002 - 11 - FRA Drive-through Crossing white line
7 2003 - 1 - AUS Black flag with orange circle Damaged car - repairs required
8 2003 - 2 - MAS Drive-through Causing accident at start
9 2004 - 16 - CHN Start 10 places back Engine replaced
10 2004 - 18 - BRA " "
11 2005 - 1 - AUS " "
12 2005 - 14 - TUR " "
13 2006 - 2 - MAS " "
14 2006 - 7 - MON Start from back of the grid Deliberately blocked the track in the closing stages of qualifying
15 " Start 10 places back Engine replaced

Michael Schumacher - Disqualified

Start number Car # Races Constructors Result Qualified grid/row Start grid/row Fastest lap rank Comment
1 46 5 1994 - 8 - GBR Benetton - Ford dsq 2/ 1 2/ 1 - Overtook cars on parade lap
- Laps led
- 3 Pitstop(s)
2 49 " 1994 - 11 - BEL " dsq 2/ 1 2/ 1 - Excessive skidblock wear

Thanks to amazing http://glibs.ssmmdd.co.uk/