If you could change 1 rule in F1 what would it be

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jbenum
jbenum

First make the rules properly well defined, and introduce some consistency in the enforcement of them. I mean i try hard to believe that F1 is not rigged, but that's hard sometimes.

Second, stop all the ludicrous cost-cutting business which has done all but the name, and stop making F1 a standard and endurance championship. 1 engine and gearbox per race weekend. And stop that bullshit tyre-rule. Too many races have been decided in qualifying and 1st stint. The 3rd stint is almost always just a procession.

To control the speed use stringent rule on aerodynamics and have a joule-limit pr. race. This is an easy and non-intrusive way to manipulate speed.

Ciro Pabón

dumrick wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:So, if some day people is elected by direct vote, you could say that's the platform of my campaign. :)
Under your conditions for FIA membership, would you even be eligible? :P
Of course, Dumrick. I'm a proud holder of a FIA license, produced by the Automóvil Club de Colombia, ACC, our local FIA club. Actually, I go to some schools to talk about racing, and this is the first thing I recommend to the kids. How cool is to have one? I believe is "the coolest of coolness", or as we say in Colombia (and Brazil): chévere. 8)

When you boast about your racing abilities, the first thing you should do is to show the class of your license... :wink:
Ciro

freedom_honda

the cars will be allowed to be fitted with machine guns :P (originally from Jeremy clarkson :D )

jokes... :P

i would say MAD(Movable Aero Device.. love the abbreviation) to encourage overtaking..

joselu43
joselu43

No wings

No wings, front or back, period. That should bring back old time overtaking moves. Ground effect ok.

My $0.02.

Jl
JL

megz

Send every team a complete car. This is their basis. Every team is allowed to use 150 Million per year on development no more. (This includes running the cars in tests, etc) This will even things out nicely and bring more emphasis to driver skill and constructors smarts.

Jagboy
Jagboy

So I couldn't really change just one rule. I think we're done with tweaking the regs, Formula 1 needs to be pulled apart and redesigned from the ground up.

Matt.
You certainly have a point.

I'd like to see fewer engine regulations. Moveable aero has huge potential and I would love to see it, but it's not like you can just take out the clause restricting it. The rest of the aero regs would have to be totally redesigned and teams would have to have ridiculous amounts of money for R&D on such a change.

Whatever happens, I still love F1.

JB

Belatti
Belatti

Re: No wings

joselu43 wrote:No wings, front or back, period. That should bring back old time overtaking moves. Ground effect ok.

My $0.02.

Jl
That is a nice idea
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Carlos
Carlos

joselu43 - No wings and add ground effects, good idea. I would modify that by saying limited ground effects. I started watching F1 before wings so maybe thats why it appeals to me. It's not just nostolgia on my part, after all the cars were dangerous then, just fragile shells of aluminum but there was ( or seemed to be) a lot more passing and lead changes.

checkered

Carlos wrote:joselu43 - No wings and add ground effects, good idea. I would modify that by saying limited ground effects. I started watching F1 before wings so maybe thats why it appeals to me. It's not just nostolgia on my part, after all the cars were dangerous then, just fragile shells of aluminum but there was ( or seemed to be) a lot more passing and lead changes.
I remember Pat Symonds

saying (I can't remember the exact quote) a while ago that what the OWG has planned (with regard to "2011") is very different, but it still it won't be stock car racing. That got me to thinking that perhaps they're going to do something radical with the wings and body. Actually, for a long time now I've thought that there's something conceptually wrong with regulations stating that a certain element constitutes a "wing", a "winglet", a "pod", a "diffuser" etc. Aerodynamically we're certainly shifting beyond such characterisations and perhaps the rules should reflect that. Perhaps we should find very clever ways to govern the shapes, allowing only a certain amount of surfaces, thicknesses, boundaries and edges. These days, with CAD tools such measurements are feasible, even quite easily so.

Belatti
Belatti

I was thinking about cars with no wings and remembered Honda atemps for F1 speed records and then came to this pic:

Now an idea: what about no dowforce wings, but movable aero devices to produce "side force" in order to make cars turn fast like jets?

I think its a bad idea and obviously dangerous.

The F1 car without wings (just front)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

You need downforce.

If you make the car turn aerodynamically then the drag will be the most important slowing factor and then the engine will have no power to transmit to the ground to counter this.

You need grip anyway.

I wait to see the amendement for 2009 regs (following the WMSC meeting) that are supposed to be on the FIA site (but still see the older ones) but the OWG had come with this:

Wider, lower front wing and/or movable; Narrower and higher rear wing, steeper diffuser,no barge boards , sidepods wings etc..

West
West

No brakes
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Ciro Pabón

West wrote:No brakes
Robotic drivers.
Ciro

Carlos
Carlos

Some would say we already have a few robotic drivers. :wink:

If we take it a step further, why not pilot them as remote drones? There are some kids with great video game skills on racing sims... maybe our nest WDC would be 10>12 years old :wink: We have a few sim racers on the Forum , we could have a F1Tian a champion...hmmm free tickets and a welcome at the VIP suite for us all. :wink: Without a driver in the car aero would also be improved :wink:

Belatti
Belatti

Sorry guys, I must change my 1 rule modification to this:

Destroy the stuuupid 10 years frozen engine development :evil: