HWA/MB looking into replacing Prodrive in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
checkered

HWA/MB looking into replacing Prodrive in F1?

Some scattered reports

today, originating with a German website, Focus Online. Supposedly Mercedes Benz is considering its very own entry into F1 starting from 2009. After the spy stuff, it would perhaps be a bit naïve to presume that they hadn't considered such an option, too. And anyway, if they have decided to consolidate their position in F1 with or without McLaren, they need leverage, or a litmus test, to examine Dennis' and Ojjeh's true intentions.

The vehicle of choice would be HWA, the motorsport business that runs Merc's DTM factory teams. There was no concrete comment on HWA's part at this time, though. HWA is the brainchild of the legendary Hans Werner Aufrecht who was so good in making Mercs more sporty that Merc bought AMG from him and made it a company trademark. HWA is part owned by Nasser Bin Khaled Holding (25%, Qatar), A Viennese investment bank and an Austrian investor Toto Wolf (49%). 10% is traded on the Frankfurt stock market and presumably Aufrecht still owns the rest.

The company has been making good profits this year. In 2009, apparently they could make a flying start with a customer chassis, no matter how that issue is settled later on.

HWA's website - link
Formel 1: Autosportspezialist HWA will einsteigen - link, Focus, original source for the story.
Steigt HWA doch in die Formel 1 ein? -link, Motorsport Total, German commentary on the issue.
The Mole: Smellier than a year-old Camembert - a unique angle on the issue by grandprix.com.

Edit: It's an intriguing thought, since HWA's management and engineers know a great many potential F1 drivers from their DTM and F3 Euroseries teams. Also, McLaren and AMG are actually in direct competition for McLaren's attention in the high-end sportscar market. AMG is currently working on a supercar that compares directly with the SLR. Some more info:

F1: AMG and HWA to Run Mercedes B-Team? - link, SpeedTV
Last edited by checkered on 27 Nov 2007, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

bar555
bar555

Really INTERESTING news , but i do not think a new Mercedes team wiil participate in 2009 . Even BMW prefered to keep the Sauber name and buy the team .
It is well known that a new team needs new facilities and Mercedes can not find better than the Mc Laren's ones.So as long as BMW is in the game , Mercedes would keep its partnership alive with Mc Laren rather than running its own team .
Do not forget Toyota .......still hunting a victory

Tom

HWA, AMG, DTM, too many TLAs for me :lol: (this joke goes back a long long time, some of the more decrepid members of the forum might care to enlighten the rest)

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if the McLaren-Mercedes partnership did finally run its course. They've been together longer than I've watched F1 (since 1995!) and there comes a time when the magic must end. This season has probably damaged Mercedes and the team is not such good sponsorship material, but a new team could be far worse. Perhaps Mercedes will run 2 teams for a few season untill the new one comes good and then they will jump ship but whatever happens I can't see the McMerc partnership lasting beyong 2011.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

axle
axle

HWA have dismissed the reports...
- Axle

HKS

Then maybe Mclaren would be the MErcedes B-Team :D
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Do you people rule out the coming of Prodrive in 2009? Richards sounded as if they will 'regroup' and try to enter F1 in anyway.

checkered

modbaraban wrote:Do you people rule out the coming of Prodrive in 2009? Richards sounded as if they will 'regroup' and try to enter F1 in anyway.
I guess it's

entirely possible that Richards still manages to pull that off. Meanwhile, if HWA/Merc ever had an opportunity to fit within the 12 teams, then it is precisely at this point. It might be a long time before opportunity presents itself again. Perhaps that's why, after all the negotiating, Prodrive's and McLaren's plans went nowhere in time. How supportive was Merc of this arrangement in the first place?

I know it's a long shot, but I've suggested before that there's a quite a tragic way for both Prodrive and HWA to become F1 teams. If Renault is punished harshly, Prodrive, in theory, would have no problem of buying their chassis with a Mecachrome branded Renault engine should the French company decide to distance themselves from F1. This would leave one empty slot that HWA can make a bid for.

With the Korean GP coming up, there must be a suspicion that at some point Hyundai is inclined to participate. There's even been talk of Malaysian government and the local Proton brand considering an offer for an outfit like SA or STR in order to get a Malaysian (Fairuz Fauzy?) driver in F1.

So the current manufacturers also have a vested interest in crowding all the 12 team slots in order to keep out the (commercial or sporting) competition.

checkered

More indications that

it's "game on" if one wants to participate in F1 in the near future. Richards has assured the media that Prodrive is serious about participating in 2009; I'll take his word for it. Don't bet on them being a customer team, though, with HWA's, Hyundai's and now apparently VW's silent interest in having a F1 presence - it's potentially a great place to be for Prodrive and now they've even got time to design and build their own chassis, if need be. furthermore, HWA, Hyundai and VW represent only manufacturers wanting to get in, there are also many more enterpreneurs, racing and otherwise, seemingly prepared to pay quite a lot to get in.

Pitpass reports the naming of Hans-Joachim Stuck as VW's "motorsport representative". Given his current status and function within BMW, this could be seen as an indication that VW is at least entertaining the possibility of an F1 entry, perhaps having recognised the importance of timing such a move to emerging opportunities. Besides Prodrive's troubles, there's the continuing uncertainty with Renault, McLaren and Williams face changes before long and Super Aguri and Scuderia Toro Rosso could find themselves with new owners as well, if opportunity presents itself.

All eyes on VW - link, Pitpass.com
BMW looks ahead and over its shoulder - link, Grandprix.com

Belatti
Belatti

:shock: :o Wooooww!!! If I was Manchild I would be worried!!! This Stuck family is bad bad people! They were friends of Hitler!!!

jeje, only a joke, pls dont rant!!! :D
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

millerjam
millerjam

Ha ha, I would have thought VW were too far away from anywhere near an F1 entry, most likely scenario is that Stuck will probably be there to do some demo laps of VW cars around the 'Ring or to spearhead a Rally Dakar program. VW has never been that active in motorsport anyway, the most recent thing to come out of Wolfsburg has been their F3 engine...

Also mass production car companies and F1 just don't go together, ok Honda and Toyota are an exception, but they're both in good health and probably only do it because the other does. Look at most other mass production companies and they align their cars with more relevant series. I also don't see what most companies can get out of F1 other than brand exposure, AUDI and SEAT obviously thought that other series (Le Mans and WTCC) were good enough to promote and prove their TDI and FSI technology, and even GM have their Lacettis in the WTCC.

The only reason Prodrive aren't on the grid next year is because a new concorde agreement hasn't been written and they can't race customer cars, so I fully expect them to be there at some point.

modbaraban
modbaraban

millerjam wrote:I fully expect them to be there at some point.
Prodriven Subaru in WRC.... what about Prodriven Hyundai in F1? Also let's not forget there's Aston Martin partially owned by Richards. I know they didn't intend to enter F1, but it was back when Prodrive intended buying customer shassis, and I really doubt that would be possible in near future.