F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HKS

F1 Quiz Chain

I thought of starting some informal stuff and thought that Quiz chain qould the best thing to start off with.
Its has a very simple fundamental. Each person has to answer the above person's question and then shjoot another Question for the next person.

So let me start off.

My question is (Very simple one):
What was so special about the 1966 F1 Champion and the Constructor?
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

Project Four

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

Was it that the driver champion was Jack Brabham who also was also the owner of the constructor champions 'Brabham - Repco'

Belatti

As Project Four didn´t make a quiz, I´ll make one:

What car was the only F1 featuring a W12 configuration? (W is 3 lines of 4 cylinders)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

dumrick

The amazing, wonderful, unforgettable Life L190? :D

Is it my turn now?

Roland Ehnström

Googling a bit, I actually found two: AGS MGN (never entered in a GP) and Life F35 (never qualified for a GP). Sorry if Google = Cheating. :)

Speaking of strange engines: Who is the only driver to have won an F1 race with an H16 engine layout? Bonus points for track, year and car.

Doh, too slow! #-o

dumrick

Jim Clark, in a Lotus 43, US GP 1966 in Watkins Glen. The engine was a BRM H16.

Right?

Who was the first Colombian driver to be in the official entry list in an F1 event, although going down officially as "Did not practice" because the super-licence was refused? Bonus points for year and event.

Project Four

Ricardo Londoño-Bridge driving the Ensign at the 1981 Brazilian GP.

My question, which I failed to do last time:

Designed by Robin Herd but never raced, I remain the only Formula One car this team ever built and I am now on display as part of the Donington Grand Prix Collection. What am I ?

dumrick

The 1969 Cosworth 4wd?

A new one: I'm the one that first raced a Jaguar engine in F1, fitting it into a Ferrari chassis. Who am I?

Tom

Clemente Biondetti in 1950.

Which circuit was Ian Fleming supposed to be visiting when he got the inspiration for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, bonus points for the car nd driver.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Project Four

Ian Flemings 'Chitty' creation was based on two original 'Chittys' built in 1920 by Count Zborowski at Higham Park and raced at Brooklands.

My question what do the initial of the team originally owned by Günther Schmidt stand for.

dumrick

Do you mean the initials ATS? That would be for "Auto Technisches Spezialzubehör".

What was the technical reason behid Tyrrell's exclusion from the 1984 championship?

Project Four

Tyrrell were banned after an analysis of the water for their water injection system was found to contain 27.5% acromatics (hydro-carbon). They were banned therefore on four accounts:-

1. By Taking on Fuel during the race (banned at the time)
2. Using fuels which did not comply with regulations
3. Equiping the car with fuel lines not to specification
4. and using lead ballast which was not fixed to the car.

A little history at the time the cars pitted for tires and re-fueled their water tanks for the engine water injection system, in effect this was adding ballast to the car as the cars started and ran underweight and only checked at the end of the race. Everyone was doing it at the time, but FISA (FIA) found a reason to ban Tyrrell, as at the time they were the last team using N/A engines and were blocking the banning of the N/A engines. Later is was found that FISA analysis of the water was wrong and it only contained a mere 0.0005% hydrocarbon's, and 95% of this was from contamination for their sampling.

My question already asked elsewhere on the forum is what does RA stand for in the Honda chassis number ?

jammer84_03

RA stands for Racing Automobile

four part question, in 2000 benneton was sold to what team, for how much, and when did they officially take the name of their new owners. also what current two drivers on the 2008 grid were employed for this team in 2002 when they took on their new name?

Project Four

jammer84_03 that is almost the right answer, the right answer in simple terms is 'Race Altered', however it is sometimes mentioned as 'Racing Automobile', so onto your question.

jammer84_03

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.co ... ry_id=5904

9 paragraphs down.... hhhmmmmm. looks like i need to read the forum.

EDIT - sry...didnt see you post quick enough before i replied. i now stand informed :D