Next FIA president? Next FOM CEO?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
safeaschuck

Re: Next FIA president? Next FOM CEO?

Paul Stoddart for FIA president; he knows how to get things done on a budget, Branson could run FOM via the Virgin group, it's not as if Bernie needs a direct successor, as long as the show goes on it does not need the single public figure to run it.
I imagine Beardy could appoint a team of people to oversee the running of the commercial aspects and ensure the best possible gains from tie in's with his T.V. channels, broadband provider, mobile phone network, book publishers etc. Also he has numerous possible tie ins with his other leisure products such as 'experience' days, travel and tourism, even health spa's and space flights (your co-pilot today is Rubens Barrichello!), he might even be able to do a deal on air freighting all their crap around, at the very least he could fly the team staff and drivers from race to race, probably with a heavy dose of publicity.

In reality though we are as likely to see Zippy, Bungle and George in charge.

Giblet
Giblet

I disagree with the choice of Stoddart, as he never got anything done on his budget. He never even had enough money to bring the car up to specs for each seasons regs. Other then the fact that he hates Max, I think he has little to offer. He was unable to pull his team out of the backfield after many many seasons, and only seemed to get loud when he felt slighted by the FIA, or the fact teams with money could actually develop their cars.

All of his reactive stuff was great, but proactively he never seemed to plan to get his team into a respectable position. He was also able to say what he felt so much as he was not a threat to anyone in the sport, either through his team or his politicks. If there was a rule change, like to V8's, there wasn't even enough money and talent in his team to get a V8 in a chassis in time for the season, and ran a v10.

You can't run a business successfully like that. You need to have something behind you, all the time. If he was able to run a team somewhere besides into the ground, I think he might be up for a management job of proportions this epic.

Flavio is a better choice IMO. At least he is a good manager and understands how to run a championship team on a relatively low budget, and is a manager first, Formula 1 guy second.

I think the chip on his shoulder against the big teams and their budgets, and the FIA, would be counter productive to the sport.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

safeaschuck

I don't know, Stoddart turned up, he fielded a car, O.K. so it wasn't successful if you consider competing in F1 at all to be unsuccessful. I believe he pretty much supplied his own sponsorship from European Aviation for a while. I think he's done enough to get a shot at the job, certainly more relevant experience than Herr Mosley.
Besides I think struggling can often teach you more than success. He may have learnt a lot more about the sport, and the harsh realities of the business of the sport than anyone who has only ever known the battle to be at the front of the grid. I can't see how Luca could go about encouraging entries from new teams when he probably can't even see the point in them competing himself.
Stoddart had a go, he has raced, managed, sponsored and owned within F1/Motorsport and pursued successful business outside the sport. Also he took the constantly poor finishes on his shoulders and somehow managed to keep the team going back for more, someone like that would be a great antidote for me, a detox, I would like to see someone like that running a sport I enjoy, thats all.
Flavio would be a very credible choice if you took his character out of the equation, but really, that guy? in charge of the governing body of worldwide motorsport? and besides would he really want to give up running an F1 team to become the voice of bureaucracy?

WhiteBlue

One should not forget that the position of the FIA president is an unpaid position. IMO many of the guys who are usually discussed would not be interested.

Second there is a lot more to it than F1, there are many other motor sports which require attention and do not have a high profile. There is also the mobility side and the FIA institute. Max Mosley has done a pretty good job in all these fields and the FIA has taken a big step forward in recognition and effectiveness in the political field since Ballestre as a result. His successor needs to show some qualifications and job experiences to fill those shoes. One should also not forget that Mosley was doing several years in racing politics on behalve of FOCA when he got nominated for the FIA job. He certainly had the contacts in the federation and the experience that gave him the preference over Ballestre.

I would think that a person like Nick Craw, who served the FIA in many functions over many years and presided over the last WMSC is way better qualified than some of the speculative figures with F1 background. This doesn't mean he would be best suited.

There may be some surprises coming. One thing that I noted is that publications close to FOTA are busily launching negative media stories about Todt and Donelly. I'm actually surprised that there isn't a character debate about Bin Sulayem yet. The presidential campaing seems to be opened and one has to see all press releases concerning possible candidates with a grain of salt. Many voices on the internet may be just cheap propaganda and back stabbing.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

modbaraban
modbaraban

WhiteBlue wrote:There may be some surprises coming. One thing that I noted is that publications close to FOTA are busily launching negative media stories about Todt...
Why would they? I though Todt permanently belongs to 'Ferrari family' now (even if not formally).

paused

Giblet wrote:I disagree with the choice of Stoddart, as he never got anything done on his budget. He never even had enough money to bring the car up to specs for each seasons regs. Other then the fact that he hates Max, I think he has little to offer. He was unable to pull his team out of the backfield after many many seasons, and only seemed to get loud when he felt slighted by the FIA, or the fact teams with money could actually develop their cars.

All of his reactive stuff was great, but proactively he never seemed to plan to get his team into a respectable position. He was also able to say what he felt so much as he was not a threat to anyone in the sport, either through his team or his politicks. If there was a rule change, like to V8's, there wasn't even enough money and talent in his team to get a V8 in a chassis in time for the season, and ran a v10.

You can't run a business successfully like that. You need to have something behind you, all the time. If he was able to run a team somewhere besides into the ground, I think he might be up for a management job of proportions this epic.

Flavio is a better choice IMO. At least he is a good manager and understands how to run a championship team on a relatively low budget, and is a manager first, Formula 1 guy second.

I think the chip on his shoulder against the big teams and their budgets, and the FIA, would be counter productive to the sport.
Giblet, humbly disagree with your sentiments on the reason Minardi ran a restricted V10. Actually the real reason (as given by Stoddart)is spelled out in detail herehttp://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=28772

Its very interesting reading and gives you another perspective on how MM get things done for various reasons but ultimately consqequences of which have contributed signifcantly to F1 cost escalation.

donskar
donskar

The next president of the FIA will be . . . . .

(drum roll)

Max Mosley:
"They made the mistake of dancing on my grave before I was buried," Mosley told the newspaper. "It's no good the teams getting a PR agency to claim I am dead and buried when I am standing here as large as life. I am under pressure now from all over the world to stand for re-election."
Yes, he will, with the ultimate in noble self-sacrifice, succumb to the "pressure . . . to stand for re-election."

And he'll win.

NASCAR, MotoGP, IRL, ALMS . . . they look better every Sunday.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

jddh1

donskar wrote:The next president of the FIA will be . . . . .

(drum roll)

Max Mosley:
"They made the mistake of dancing on my grave before I was buried," Mosley told the newspaper. "It's no good the teams getting a PR agency to claim I am dead and buried when I am standing here as large as life. I am under pressure now from all over the world to stand for re-election."
Yes, he will, with the ultimate in noble self-sacrifice, succumb to the "pressure . . . to stand for re-election."

And he'll win.

NASCAR, MotoGP, IRL, ALMS . . . they look better every Sunday.
That sucks. Can't get rid of this cockroach, can we?

Watch MotoGP. NASCAR and IRL are really boring. Don't really follow ALMS.

donskar
donskar

Apologies if already posted, but this is a wonderful piece from PlanetF1:

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954, ... 99,00.html

Enjoy
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

I thought the "wonderfull piece" was rather off topic. It didn't mention anything about succession of Mosley or Ecclestone.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

safeaschuck

WhiteBlue wrote:I thought the "wonderfull piece" was rather off topic. It didn't mention anything about succession of Mosley or Ecclestone.
Well I enjoyed it [-X
WhiteBlue wrote:Second there is a lot more to it than F1, there are many other motor sports which require attention and do not have a high profile. There is also the mobility side and the FIA institute.
Yep, true, but if Max can manage it I'm sure Stoddart could too. In fact I think a lot of people could but they might not neccesarily have the... whats the word... oh well - others may not have the neccesary character traits/approach to getting something which may be initially be controversial turned into legislation quickly. A blessing and a curse for Max I suppose. Perhaps I was being a bit harsh when I said Max's background was less relevant than Stoddarts, he has raced and part owned teams, perhaps in a more directorial role than Stoddart? who I some how see as 'hands on'...

I sound like I'm going soft though! Maybe I am, maybe actually I secretly admire Max's style :o mabye be we all do :shock: He and Bernie both seem to fit the mould of Alpha male, maybe I worship them!

Nah, hang em both, hang em both, etc.

pjobmathew

Vicky Chandok , Karun Chandok's dad is also running for Max's job !!!!!

WhiteBlue

pjobmathew wrote:Vicky Chandok , Karun Chandok's dad is also running for Max's job !!!!!
Vicky Chandok also thinks that Ron Dennis could be running. How likely is that?

Ron Dennis in the middle of his riskiest corporate move (new road car) going for an unpaid job. Standing for election with a clear conflict of interest he would have to sell his McLaren shares. And on top Ron isn't the person who is best with words in a public debate. How long until he would be completely frustrated by such a job?

In the meantime Ecclestone has once again shown his real attitude towards power sharing

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 633563.ece
Hitler got taken away and persuaded to do things that I have no idea whether he wanted to do or not.
I agree with Oliver Kamm that Ecclestone is perverting the historical truth there. His other remarks regarding the benefits of Saddam Husseins dictatorship are questionable as well. Saddam managed indeed to rule Irak but at the cost of millions of deaths. He massacred the political opposition, mass murdered Kurds (genozid) and is responsible for the victims of two wars of aggression. Bernie's remarks at this time can only be a calculated attempt at heating up the FOTA/FIA conflict. He is the person that has done the most damage to F1 in recent years. He is responsible for destroying popular venues, overcharging tickets and damaging F1 in the US. He has allways admired dictators and behaves like one. I wonder how long his reign can continue. Instead of fighting Max Mosley (who would probably gone if they had not challenged him) FOTA should think about how they terminate Bernie's death grip on F1.

nudger
nudger

bernie has totally lost it now,
his praise of Hitler may be his undoing this time.
Much as i believe FOTA would like to use Bernie for political leverage, they will simply have to reconsider their stance to him based on that interview.

Giblet
Giblet

paused wrote:
Giblet wrote:I disagree with the choice of Stoddart, as he never got anything done on his budget. He never even had enough money to bring the car up to specs for each seasons regs. Other then the fact that he hates Max, I think he has little to offer. He was unable to pull his team out of the backfield after many many seasons, and only seemed to get loud when he felt slighted by the FIA, or the fact teams with money could actually develop their cars.

Giblet, humbly disagree with your sentiments on the reason Minardi ran a restricted V10. Actually the real reason (as given by Stoddart)is spelled out in detail herehttp://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=28772

Its very interesting reading and gives you another perspective on how MM get things done for various reasons but ultimately consqequences of which have contributed signifcantly to F1 cost escalation.
While I humbly agree with your disagreement, I have to disagree with the part I don't agree with :)

The reason Minardi didn't run an V8 like everyone else, is that they didn't have enough money ever to run their team properly in any area. How can you even think about a new engine when your chassis is ancient? Anything other than a pay driver seat with slow moving sponsorship was foreign to the team for a long time, with a few lucky driver acquisitions, that they were unable to keep, ever. Using the same car for 3 years, etc. It's just not how to run a team, just to stay in F1. To me it's like trying to hang on to a girlfriend when the magic is clearly gone.

Nothing against Stoddart or the passion of the team, but entering an F1 car during Minardi's era on a shoestring budget was a recipe for failure from the beginning, and everyone knew it.

The cause of Minardi's constant prolonged failure was the teams budget and management, and the effect was that they were unable to run V8's down the road.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute