2009 January Winter Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
D'Leh
D'Leh

Re: 2009 January Winter Testing

FM2009 wrote: The wake being significantly higher wouldn't affect an F1 car since an F1 car following isn't that high....
Well, but it's still completely covered by the wake.

Actually the density could be quite deceiving here. Looking at the time sheets the STR went a lot faster the entire day. Could well be it is the only car running flat out there.

Metar

I think that's down to the tyres - with slicks, the cars were supposed to be more or less equal compared to 2008 laptimes - but without them, on the same rain-tyres as the 2008 cars, they're probably quite a bit slower, owing to the reduced downforce.

Steven
Owner

chasefreak wrote:
What are the extra linkages at the front suspension for?
this is something really interesting .. will have to look out and see how much they have developed the front suspension.
The supposedly extra linkage is the steering arm which is not anymore positioned ahead of the front upper wishbone. Honda also had this in 2006.
I think McLaren have found it necessary to de-couple them because they have moved the wishbones themselves more to the back. If you'd look from the top, you will see that the wishbones do not connect to the wheel on its vertical centre line, but more in the back. Either this position is correct for in the upright, or McLaren have designed a front suspension where the wheels do not turn around their axis - which is a very interesting, though weird thought.
Anyway, because of that position and because of the limitation of surface of suspension components seen from above, McLaren probably had no other choice than de-couple them, providing the extra advantages that the steering system could be positioned lower into the tub.

meves
meves

Toyota have lost their first test engine of the 4 allowed this year as Timo Glocks engine has detonated and caught fire...

vyselegend

Already one block gone for Toyota.

Three engines left for the whole year. At this rate, it will be hard.
Btw, I understand the rules about the eight race engines, but what is the sanction for exeeding the four test engines restriction?

Keir

Does anyone know why McLaren are running a 2008 spec rear wing on their 2009 MP4-24?

**EDIT** ignore this.
Last edited by Keir on 21 Jan 2009, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

Shaddock

Tomba wrote:
chasefreak wrote:
What are the extra linkages at the front suspension for?
this is something really interesting .. will have to look out and see how much they have developed the front suspension.
The supposedly extra linkage is the steering arm which is not anymore positioned ahead of the front upper wishbone. Honda also had this in 2006.
I think McLaren have found it necessary to de-couple them because they have moved the wishbones themselves more to the back. If you'd look from the top, you will see that the wishbones do not connect to the wheel on its vertical centre line, but more in the back. Either this position is correct for in the upright, or McLaren have designed a front suspension where the wheels do not turn around their axis - which is a very interesting, though weird thought.
Anyway, because of that position and because of the limitation of surface of suspension components seen from above, McLaren probably had no other choice than de-couple them, providing the extra advantages that the steering system could be positioned lower into the tub.
The front suspension looks very messy with a jumble of arms.

Metar

Can't they repair the block? It's a testing-engine after all, it doesn't have to be as powerful as the race-day engines...

Shaddock

Metar wrote:Can't they repair the block? It's a testing-engine after all, it doesn't have to be as powerful as the race-day engines...
It depends if there is a piston sticking out of the side of it :lol:

Agerasia
Agerasia

Are they actually forbidden to shroud the suspension now then? What's the rules regarding them.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Conceptual
Conceptual

Agerasia wrote:Are they actually forbidden to shroud the suspension now then? What's the rules regarding them.
You would think that since they work in tension/compression with no bending, that it would be quite easy to shroud them all the way out to the upright... But since any shroud would be larger than the suspension it is shrouding, and heavier overall, there may be no benefit.

ISLAMATRON

vyselegend wrote:Image

Already one block gone for Toyota.

Three engines left for the whole year. At this rate, it will be hard.
Btw, I understand the rules about the eight race engines, but what is the sanction for exeeding the four test engines restriction?
Even the teams are unsure...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72845
but if they run out of test engines I think they dont test anymore, not a huge deal since in season testing is effectively banned.

I hope that if they run out of the 8 race engines that they are penalized for every race after that(on a new engine after that)... otherwise teams could easily flout the rules to add a ninth(or more) race block. Honestly the FIA really dropped the ball on this years engine 3? 4? race rule... since they extended the engine life rule they should have got rid of the RPM limit and let the teams pace themselves... that would have really made the show more exciting... I loved seeing Massa's engine blow up on the last lap, but it wasnt the same becuz it wasnt becuase Ferrari overused it.

Article 28.4a states: "Each driver may use no more than eight engines during a championship season. Should a driver use more than eight engines he will drop ten places on the starting grid at any event during which an extra engine is used.

So it looks like whatever driver that was in that car is down to 7 more bloks b4 he gets pointed to the rear of the grid.

Metar

Actually... Does winter-testing count as part of the restrictions? I would've thought the 4 testing-engines counts only for Fridays?

mcdenife
mcdenife

Yeah,but the season has not started yet so I am not sure this counts toward their allocated 8 engines (or 4 or whatever)
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Metar

mcdenife wrote:Yeah,but the season has not started yet so I am not sure this counts toward their allocated 8 engines (or 4 or whatever)
Exactly why I asked - after all, most of the restrictions that are usually in place don't count for winter-testing...