Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
donskar
donskar

Re: Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

We now return you to our regularly scheduled season . . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

There have been claims that Ferrari and the FIA are seeking to hurt McLaren, and that they were instrumental in this week's events. Max is still convinced that somehow Ron Dennis was involved in exposing his sordid personal sex life. That is reason to suspect the FIA. But then again, McLaren are well aware of this, and take measures to keep their hands clean as much as possible.
Let's talk about Ferrari. McLaren are presently their fiercest competitors in a beautiful, but unforgiving and merciless sport. You do what you can do to inhibit McLaren. So when all the events at the end of the Australia race unfolded, an opportunity opened up. Not that they were the only ones, but I'm of the opinion that many team principles clamor for the ears of FIA officials to make their case, and push for actions against other teams. If a team is of the opinion that another team comitted any rules infraction, trust me, someone will complain to the FIA. Maybe not a formal complaint, but into the ears of Charlie Whiting or another highly-placed FIA official.
Personally, I see nothing wrong in Ferrari's actions concerning this case. But who knows, they may have done absolutely nothing, and this is just another situation where they catch blame, regardless of their guilt. Or innocence.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

timbo
timbo

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:To turn around and admit so the world that you lied, and you did wrong is anything BUT pathetic.
But this whole thing about being misled is kinda childish, ain't it? Not something you expect of World Champion.
Anyway if you are team player you take responsibility for actions of the team as a whole. So it just don't do much justice to say "I was forced to do something".

And I wonder what was the point of whoever made the decision (maybe Ryan was on his own). Was it only because they wanted their boy on podium so much?
I always thought that atmosphere of love and adoration with LH within a team is a bit too much and may hurt LH himself. Now I have an example.

Spencifer_Murphy

timbo wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:To turn around and admit so the world that you lied, and you did wrong is anything BUT pathetic.
But this whole thing about being misled is kinda childish, ain't it? Not something you expect of World Champion.
Anyway if you are team player you take responsibility for actions of the team as a whole. So it just don't do much justice to say "I was forced to do something".

And I wonder what was the point of whoever made the decision (maybe Ryan was on his own). Was it only because they wanted their boy on podium so much?
I always thought that atmosphere of love and adoration with LH within a team is a bit too much and may hurt LH himself. Now I have an example.
True on the first part but with the second part it could well be that he was forced to do it, or he was told to do something, and in the heat of the meoment he made the wrong choice. Which he's admitted by saying it was a "huge mistake".

He ould well have been forced to say what he said, it may well be that the "forcing" on Dave Ryan's part is why he has been suspended and Lewis hasn't. We just don't know.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

timbo
timbo

DaveKillens wrote:If a team is of the opinion that another team comitted any rules infraction, trust me, someone will complain to the FIA. Maybe not a formal complaint, but into the ears of Charlie Whiting or another highly-placed FIA official.
Exactly, that's how moving floor was banned after Australia 2007.
But what's your point? There would be something wrong in complaining only if complaining party made up evidences and such, and this obviously not the case.

donskar
donskar

DaveKillens wrote:There have been claims that Ferrari and the FIA are seeking to hurt McLaren, and that they were instrumental in this week's events. Max is still convinced that somehow Ron Dennis was involved in exposing his sordid personal sex life. That is reason to suspect the FIA. But then again, McLaren are well aware of this, and take measures to keep their hands clean as much as possible.
Let's talk about Ferrari. McLaren are presently their fiercest competitors in a beautiful, but unforgiving and merciless sport. You do what you can do to inhibit McLaren. So when all the events at the end of the Australia race unfolded, an opportunity opened up. Not that they were the only ones, but I'm of the opinion that many team principles clamor for the ears of FIA officials to make their case, and push for actions against other teams. If a team is of the opinion that another team comitted any rules infraction, trust me, someone will complain to the FIA. Maybe not a formal complaint, but into the ears of Charlie Whiting or another highly-placed FIA official.
Personally, I see nothing wrong in Ferrari's actions concerning this case. But who knows, they may have done absolutely nothing, and this is just another situation where they catch blame, regardless of their guilt. Or innocence.
"Let's talk about ferrari."
Why? Do you have ANYTHING beyond your opinion (to which you are totally entitled) to lead you to this accusation?

"Not that they were the only ones" Is there ANY evidence that ANY team lodged a protest?

"Personally, I see nothing wrong in Ferrari's actions concerning this case."
Glad to hear that, but what "actions" aer you referring to?

Sorry if I missed something?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

timbo
timbo

donskar wrote:"Personally, I see nothing wrong in Ferrari's actions concerning this case."
Glad to hear that, but what "actions" aer you referring to?

Sorry if I missed something?
Well, it reminds me that films about UFOs: "a drunk farmer seen weird lights in the sky. We don't have evidences that it was extraterrestrial spaceship, but we don't have evidences it couldn't be extraterrestrial spaceship!".

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Alonso has waded in on the s**t-storm..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74209

"It's not the first time they lie to the stewards and, sooner or later, they had to be punished."
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

gcdugas

Its worked! Nobody is talking about what incompetent buffoons the FIA stewards are when they ruled against Trulli without even considering the radio communications and all the in-car footage. Making a ruling without considering all the evidence is equally as bad as what Davey Ryan did but nobody is calling for their heads, nobody is excoriating the FIA stewards. I do not excuse McLaren but lets have some equity when assigning the blame for this fiasco.

All the confusion, rulings, over rulings and retractions, all the instability and vacillations still lays at the feet of the FIA stewards who were too incompetent to run the simplest of inquiries with all the information available to them.

Bravo to the FIA... another F'up successfully covered up.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

De Jokke

I'm extremely disappointed with Mclaren and Lewis. They are ruining their 'already difficult' season. 5 points thrown away just like that. And with the mac not yet up to speed the title is slipping away from lewis's hands. :|
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

timbo
timbo

gcdugas wrote:All the confusion, rulings, over rulings and retractions, all the instability and vacillations still lays at the feet of the FIA stewards who were too incompetent to run the simplest of inquiries with all the information available to them.

Bravo to the FIA... another F'up successfully covered up.
OK, so you imply that when drivers or teams are being asked by stewards they should be treated with presumption of guilt? So if they directly asked LH whether he was asked to let Trully through, and the answer was no, stewards have to check his words.
Fine.

vall
vall

De Jokke wrote:And with the mac not yet up to speed the title is slipping away from lewis's hands. :|
It sounds like he already touched it :shock: You could say that last year, 1 lap left of the Brazilian GP. And tet's make it clear, right? The luck that LH had last year comes only once I think.

dumrick
dumrick

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:True on the first part but with the second part it could well be that he was forced to do it, or he was told to do something, and in the heat of the meoment he made the wrong choice.
Sorry, I disagree. There's no choice to be done there. The sporting director of the company that pays him told him to do something and he executed, that's being aware of how well and by whom he is paid and respecting it.

vall
vall

dumrick wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:True on the first part but with the second part it could well be that he was forced to do it, or he was told to do something, and in the heat of the meoment he made the wrong choice.
Sorry, I disagree. There's no choice to be done there. The sporting director of the company that pays him told him to do something and he executed, that's being aware of how well and by whom he is paid and respecting it.
One always has a choice to lie or not, right? LH chose to lie, that's it. It is even not sure if he was told to do that! It smells bad a lot. It looks like they sacrificed their sporting director, like they did back in 2007 with their chief designer :) It is hard to believe that such an organization like McLaren will not have control over everything? Forget it! Before RD says he was not aware much much if Ferrari information penetrated to the team :o Now MW says Rayn acted alone without consulting the bosses? Hard to believe.

Spencifer_Murphy

vall wrote:One always has a choice to lie or not, right? LH chose to lie, that's it. It is even not sure if he was told to do that!
Yes it is sure he was told to do that, hence why Dave Ryan has been suspended. If they were just trying to protect Lewis they could just say "We breifed Lewis on what to say and there was a mix up" Lewis isn't made to look like a liar and Dave Ryan has no implication.

But they didn't, hence Dave Ryan did tell Lewis what to say.

I agree that one has the choice to lie or not, but when you are being told to do something, which may not be correct, by your boss, and have a minute or two in which to decide it can be tough. Lewis made the wrong call...but a call that many would have made in the same circumstances. He put his mouth where is money comes from. And that what wrong.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.