Forget who you think will win. Who do you want to win.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kishigae
kishigae

Re: Forget who you think will win. Who do you want to win.

In this particular order:
1- Lopez
2- Webber
3- Alonso
4- Massa

ringo

vall wrote:
ringo wrote:
Racehound wrote:I think Fernando is gonna cakewalk the title this year, and Lewi Shamilton is gonna find out this year that you cant keep driving an F1 car like a go-kart!!! Narrower fronts and high fuel loads will put an end to his "chuck it all over the road" style! Tricky is not making this comeback to be 3rd to Shammyboy either, so while Alonso and Massa steam off into the distance en route to both titles, Hammy will be finding his front wing stuck under the back of Tricky or Vettel all season! :lol:
I think Alonso is less of a smooth driver than Hamilton. If there is anyone that chucks a car it's Alonso.
Hamilton has proven to adjust to any situation in 2009.

check this out:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiMS6PwxsL4[/youtube]

That was Alonso back in 2005-2006 when the car allowed him to cut the corners that way. His style evolved much since then and is now much smoother.
How so?
Maybe because the 2009 renault was so uncompetitive and he knew he was going to Ferrari, he didn't try hard enough. I think if he get's a competitive car he will drive the same as in this video here. Not saying Alonso is not adaptable, but i don't think there's anything that suggests his style has changed. He didn't get enough camera time at the back of the pack in 2009.
Aside from that, why is it Alonso's style can evolve and Hamilton's can't? :wink:
Lewis' style has no apparent weakness, i don't see why some believe he wont do well. He himself said the car doesn't feel any different, while others were complaining about the weight and under-steer.
For Sure!!

Shrek
Shrek

I think it would be great if Campos(with Senna) and USF1(with Pechito) got a win each and proved a lot of people wrong. For WDC it would be cool if Kubica would get it and for WCC Force India
Spencer

vall
vall

ringo wrote:How so?
Maybe because the 2009 renault was so uncompetitive and he knew he was going to Ferrari, he didn't try hard enough. I think if he get's a competitive car he will drive the same as in this video here. Not saying Alonso is not adaptable, but i don't think there's anything that suggests his style has changed. He didn't get enough camera time at the back of the pack in 2009.
Aside from that, why is it Alonso's style can evolve and Hamilton's can't? :wink:
Lewis' style has no apparent weakness, i don't see why some believe he wont do well. He himself said the car doesn't feel any different, while others were complaining about the weight and under-steer.
This is my opinion. I think that even in 2007 Alonso drove differently that during his Renault years. I would say that he is pretty adaptive driver. 2008 and 2009 he had a crappy car and adapted his driving to it. And he did better that anyone else would do. What Hamilton did in 2009? IMO, he tried to drive the same way in 2008 and the result was 2 spectacular crashes: Monaco during the most important quali :shock: and forgot the other one when he was 3rd and was stupid enough to crash in the last lap. But wait! This was of course because LH pushed 110% :D When Alonso crushed in Japan 2007, it was because the lack of skills......

ISLAMATRON

vall wrote:
ringo wrote:How so?
This is my opinion. I think that even in 2007 Alonso drove differently that during his Renault years. I would say that he is pretty adaptive driver. 2008 and 2009 he had a crappy car and adapted his driving to it. And he did better that anyone else would do. What Hamilton did in 2009? IMO, he tried to drive the same way in 2008 and the result was 2 spectacular crashes: Monaco during the most important quali :shock: and forgot the other one when he was 3rd and was stupid enough to crash in the last lap. But wait! This was of course because LH pushed 110% :D When Alonso crushed in Japan 2007, it was because the lack of skills......
It was a lack of skillz because Lou was IN THE SAME CAR and was way ahead AND DID NOT CRASH. When Lou crashed in Italy, he was miles ahead of Kovi, WHO WAS IN THE SAME CAR, so yes he was pushing much harder... crashing when you are ahead and when you are behind is not the same thing.

The all adapt, some are just better at adapting than others, and some adapt more quickly.

On Button's smoothness, he is so smooth because he is not on the edge, like MS & Fred & Lou... that is why Button is so often out qualled... it is easy to be smooth when you are slow... He just may be one of the fastest of the smooth(slow) drivers. Some may say that that smoothness makes him faster over the course of the race, it may very well be so, but usually not. Watch this year how he will be smashed liked potatoes, he'll be lucky to even look as good as Kovi, but he will bring home more points than Kovi would, but who cares abouts points, real racers only care about wins.

ringo

I think Button is slower than Kovalinen :lol: , but his speed is put to better use on the track.
Heiki is one fast Mofo, people just don't realize it, but he never really put it together at Mclaren. Button should do a better job, wish him the best,don't want him to be smashed too much.

@ Vall, i agree with you about Alonso and Lewis. But look at the monza crash again and you will see that the left rear wheel slipped on some loose astro turf matting. It was not his fault, just bad luck.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVTZiKJy2IY[/youtube]
Whitmarsh said that's just the risk you take with a driver who drives on a knife edge.
I wouldn't say he was stupid either, he was engulfed in all out raw speed; bersek beast mode. Few drivers experience that state of mind in the races nowadays.

The Monaco crash was also on the very limit. :P If you look carefully from 40s in, you can litterally sense that he goes beyond the limit, then bellow, then above, trying to find that edge. Wheels and brakes working 100% duty, locking and unlocking at his whim.. ...Madness!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87-eGKj-EBs[/youtube]
he got a little greedy though :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

Crashing is part of being an F1 driver. Quantifying people is hard to do, because everyone makes mistakes. Some are honest, some are not. All this comparing of drivers using tiny little slices of time is pointless at best, and will win no hearts.

The thread is "Who do want to win" not "Who do you think is better and please try to convince us we are wrong about our opinions of who we like"

As for Alonso's actual style, he obviously had to change it when the mass damper was taken away from him, and he still did well to claw back time. He can adapt, like any top tier driver can, and if they can't, they get Bourdais'ed out the door.

I would be very surprised if any driver was unable to adapt, considering all the telemetry and brilliant minds behind every 10th they gain.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

nipo
nipo

A little off-topic: I just DON'T want Alonso to win :lol: :lol: :lol:

flynfrog

Giblet wrote:
The thread is "Who do want to win" not "Who do you think is better and please try to convince us we are wrong about our opinions of who we like"
thanks Giblet. I think most of us understand that just a few who cant.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Wait, win races or win the championships?

Because I would like many underdogs and overdogs to win races, but just one of each to win the championship (driver in the same team).
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

tk421

have to echo, think this is getting too serious. it's very simple, who do you want to win the WDC? pick one, pick your top 3, pick whatever, but this is digressing into one of hundreds of "who's better than who" things, yes?
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Mr Alcatraz

nipo wrote:A little off-topic: I just DON'T want Alonso to win :lol: :lol: :lol:
Get used to disapointment! :D

Skip vid to 4:30 :-$

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3gfFVmw ... re=related[/youtube]
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand