2010, Under the old points system

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tamburello
Tamburello

Re: 2010, Under the old points system

bettonracing wrote:
Tumbarello wrote: How can any body say the new points system isn't making a difference?...
Maybe based on the fact that after 15 races the WDC orders are identical for positions 1 thru 8?... :D
Yes, that is true but the gaps are significantly different. It would be a much closer finale under the old points system.

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote: Its quite apt that you chose "2nd"s in your comparison.
The "2nds" that came up in the calculations are purely incidental. I didn't chose them specifically, I chose the highest placing as a common factor in relation to the points.

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote:It would have been a much better idea to actually increase the points for a win, rather than decrease it for 2nd place.
They both have the same thing result.

bettonracing
bettonracing

Tumbarello wrote:
bettonracing wrote:
Tumbarello wrote: How can any body say the new points system isn't making a difference?...
Maybe based on the fact that after 15 races the WDC orders are identical for positions 1 thru 8?... :D
Yes, that is true but the gaps are significantly different. It would be a much closer finale under the old points system.
Large gap vs small gap. "Tomayto" vs "Tomahto". <- Same thing! We'll see how it turns out at the end of the season. As of right now, it hasn't done anything special except reward the midfielders for 9th & 10th. (See Sutil vs Schumi in both systems).

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

Tamburello
Tamburello

bettonracing wrote:
Large gap vs small gap. "Tomayto" vs "Tomahto". <- Same thing! We'll see how it turns out at the end of the season. As of right now, it hasn't done anything special except reward the midfielders for 9th & 10th. (See Sutil vs Schumi in both systems).
So what did you want it do, reverse the order from first to last? The margins are more significant in any championship than the order as the latter is very much dependent on the former, not the other way around.

bettonracing
bettonracing

Tumbarello wrote:
bettonracing wrote:
So what did you want it do, reverse the order from first to last? The margins are more significant in any championship than the order as the latter is very much dependent on the former, not the other way around.
Don't be silly. Rewards are not given for large or small gaps to the nearest competitor. However, rewards are given for different positions (e.g. car number). As of today, the new points system has NOT rewarded any of the first 8 drivers in the WDC. This may change by the end of the season. Until then, I'm unconvinced.

If You finish 1 point or 1million points behind the winner (or even the guy in front of You), YOU LOSE.

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

Tamburello
Tamburello

bettonracing wrote:Don't be silly. Rewards are not given for large or small gaps to the nearest competitor. However, rewards are given for different positions (e.g. car number). As of today, the new points system has NOT rewarded any of the first 8 drivers in the WDC. This may change by the end of the season. Until then, I'm unconvinced.

If You finish 1 point or 1million points behind the winner (or even the guy in front of You), YOU LOSE.
Rewards are not given when you're mathematically in danger of losing positions in the order either and it is this aspect, in terms of degrees, that HAS been altered by the new points system. All drivers except Webber and Alonso, are more outsiders under the new points systems than they would have been under the old system. This alters the dynamics in the thinking of teams and drivers in the championship.

Imagine if we had another scoring system, say one in which only wins count. The order would be exactly the same as it is currently or under last year's system and yet Webber and Alonso would be miles ahead as their nearest competitor would need to win at least 3 of the remaining 4 races to get ahead of them.

nipo
nipo

I want to make a mathematical observation here regarding the new points system.

When we say we want more incentive for drivers to fight for positions, we can be talking about two different things:
1. Exaggerating the win
2. Making every fight for moving up one place worth more than before

We quickly realize they almost oppose each other. A simple experiment proves this:

Suppose we focus on #1 first, and make the win worth 100 pts, keeping the other places same as before. Then the incentive for winning is huge, but if you are stuck in, say 5th, there isn't a lot to fight for.

Same way, if you spread out the points more evenly, focusing on making each step's % gain larger than before, you won't get such a dramatically increased incentive for the win, compared to finishing in lower places.

If we can sacrifice neither #1 nor #2, I conclude that we can only strike a balance, and here is what I propose:
30, 21, 15, 12, 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

If you punch those numbers into a spreadsheet, normalize the points and compare to the 2009 system, you'll find that the win is exaggerated a little, and the relative % gain for making up every position is more rewarding than before, thereby (hopefully) encouraging drivers to choose fighting more often than just nursing the car home for the points.

Conversely, if we really want to just boost fighting on the track, we should really consider counting the best 13 or 15 races. Of course, some has already pointed out that it seems to contradict the engine and gearbox rules that are now in place (in the name of limiting budget). Again, we can only strike a balance...

Richard
Richard

I do like the using a driver's best 15 results. It would mean more people taking a gamble like Hamilton in Monza & Singapore.

As for engine rules, you just take the best 5 from each third of the season.

bettonracing
bettonracing

Tumbarello wrote:Rewards are not given when you're mathematically in danger of losing positions in the order either and it is this aspect, in terms of degrees, that HAS been altered by the new points system. All drivers except Webber and Alonso, are more outsiders under the new points systems than they would have been under the old system. This alters the dynamics in the thinking of teams and drivers in the championship.

Imagine if we had another scoring system, say one in which only wins count. The order would be exactly the same as it is currently or under last year's system and yet Webber and Alonso would be miles ahead as their nearest competitor would need to win at least 3 of the remaining 4 races to get ahead of them.
More pen and paper hypothesis. You're hoping/ assuming that the greater points spread will give the teams a greater sense of urgency and force them to be more aggressive. I believe the specifics of the season (i.e. the number of drivers in contention, the specific drivers in contention, and their various strengths this season) would have resulted in the same levels of aggressiveness. Nobody (in contention) would be, or will be, going to Japan thinking "I can settle for 4th".

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

Tamburello
Tamburello

bettonracing wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:Rewards are not given when you're mathematically in danger of losing positions in the order either and it is this aspect, in terms of degrees, that HAS been altered by the new points system. All drivers except Webber and Alonso, are more outsiders under the new points systems than they would have been under the old system. This alters the dynamics in the thinking of teams and drivers in the championship.

More pen and paper hypothesis. You're hoping/ assuming that the greater points spread will give the teams a greater sense of urgency and force them to be more aggressive. I believe the specifics of the season (i.e. the number of drivers in contention, the specific drivers in contention, and their various strengths this season) would have resulted in the same levels of aggressiveness. Nobody (in contention) would be, or will be, going to Japan thinking "I can settle for 4th".

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
I'm not hoping anything. What I am saying is that the greater points spread will mean that team priorities will be different to what it would be when their drivers are closer together in points. This is a fairly reasonable assumption and we see it year in year out.

I haven't worked out the figures but perhaps Massa would not have moved over so easily for Alonso in Germany under the old points system, for example.

bettonracing
bettonracing

Tumbarello wrote: I'm not hoping anything. What I am saying is that the greater points spread will mean that team priorities will be different to what it would be when their drivers are closer together in points. This is a fairly reasonable assumption and we see it year in year out.

I haven't worked out the figures but perhaps Massa would not have moved over so easily for Alonso in Germany under the old points system, for example.
*sigh*
Ironically, the reality is that with the greater points spread (of the new system) we now have two teams that are backing both their drivers equally (at least publicly). The team that favored their #1 driver, is notorious for favoring their #1 driver.

We'll see how the season turns out. As it stands right now, the positions are the same, and due to the level of competitiveness, everybody's approach is to beat the other 4 drivers in the next 4 races. If the gaps were smaller (old system), the competitiveness would not change and the approach would be the same.

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

bettonracing
bettonracing

Double post
Last edited by bettonracing on 30 Sep 2010, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

bettonracing
bettonracing

http://www.f1technical.net/news/15487
Jenson Button wrote:
"I think the new points systems has definitely amplified what people think of the standings, but I've always imagined the points as they would have been under last year's system: so, in old money, I'm 10 points off Mark, and Lewis is about eight or nine behind him. And, with four races to go, that's not much at all."

"When you say you're 25 points off the lead, that sounds a lot, but it's just easier for me to reference it by the old system. It makes it seem easier to understand and compute, too."

"So, as I said, there's not going to be one pivotal race, except perhaps for the final one, it's just about taking home the points every weekend."
Blasphemy! Witch! Burn him! :D

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

zeph
zeph

Raymond! Where is the update?