Mark Webber's shoulder...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Mark Webber's shoulder...

Maybe Webber should steer clear of bikes. He seems to have an issue with staying on them. On the other hand, he may get away with stabilizers on the back wheel. :lol:

I have to agree with the earlier comments about this sounding like an excuse. Just all too convienient.

segedunum
segedunum

zeph wrote:Seriously, some guys here actually think it's just an excuse?
Why not? He's been injured before mountain biking so you'd have thought he'd learned his lesson, and you certainly don't get the injuries he's sustained by going on a Sunday afternoon ride. He would have had to put himself at some risk.

After the fact, it's all a little convenient.
xpensive wrote:Consider the ass***es who had their life-savings on him becoming WDC, no wonder this fine forum's Aussies are missing?
:D

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:If this is true, which I'm wrestling with to get my head around actually, the man is an utter prat, going mountain-biking when leading the Formula One champinship with four races to go? Funny he didn't try hang-gliding in Norway when at it? Consider the ass***es who had their life-savings on him becoming WDC, no wonder this fine forum's Aussies are missing?
Xpensive, I really have to admit there is nobody who can hold a candle to you when it comes to adding insult to injury. Give the Aussie fans a break, will ya? Image
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

The quote I read said that it was the first time he'd been mountain biking since the Tasmania crash. Will he ever learn?

As for not telling his team, that's the sort of thing you'd expect from old style racers like James Hunt. I'm not sure if it would be tolerated in the current highly contorlled corporate environment.

jamsbong
jamsbong

Looks like Christian Horner is also disappointed about Webber. Is Webber trying to burn bridges with Horner and RedBull?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11012072992 ... ury-secret
richard_leeds wrote:As for not telling his team, that's the sort of thing you'd expect from old style racers like James Hunt. I'm not sure if it would be tolerated in the current highly contorlled corporate environment.
IMO, it is more about personal safety and safety of other drivers. Why if his injuries happens to affect his driving ability and led to a crash and other drivers were injured or killed from this? It is very irresponsible of Webber to have kept it a secret.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:If this is true, which I'm wrestling with to get my head around actually, the man is an utter prat, going mountain-biking when leading the Formula One champinship with four races to go? Funny he didn't try hang-gliding in Norway when at it? Consider the ass***es who had their life-savings on him becoming WDC, no wonder this fine forum's Aussies are missing?
Xpensive, I really have to admit there is nobody who can hold a candle to you when it comes to adding insult to injury. Give the Aussie fans a break, will ya? Image
no need to give us a break, what an idiotic turn of events Mark has admitted too... i shook my head in disbelief when i first read about it....Although i doubt it made much difference to the eventual out come, we will never know...what a D**khead!!!

Mark has also announced his Tasmanian Challenge will be held again in 2011 with himself competing...that only spells one thing..2011 is his last season in F1.

Hopefully for the Aussie fans it makes way for Ricciardo in a RBR/TR seat.

joseff

jamsbong wrote: ...
IMO, it is more about personal safety and safety of other drivers. Why if his injuries happens to affect his driving ability and led to a crash and other drivers were injured or killed from this? It is very irresponsible of Webber to have kept it a secret.
The FIA Dr. knew about it, if it means anything...

donskar
donskar

Webber was wrong to not inform his employer.

Otherwise, I say it is his business (UNLESS his contract had a clause forbidding such activity). If not, it's his business. He is in much better physical condition than any but the top 1% of the population, with strength, reflexes and eyesight to match. Should none of us ride a bike because it might hamper our ability to get a promotion?

I'm disappointed more of us have not applauded him for NOT being the bland "corporate man." Do none of you remember James Hunt? Was he the last authentic F1 driver? Like other normal men, F1 drivers used to engage in sex before going to work; several of them smoked and drank, often to excess. So?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

jamsbong
jamsbong

donskar wrote:He is in much better physical condition than any but the top 1% of the population, with strength, reflexes and eyesight to match.
Better reflex and eyesight? really? He manage to crash on a slow bicycle (thats 40~50km/h speed) on two consecutive occasion and breaking shoulder/leg. No doubt he is fit but I doubt the other stuff you claim of him.

scotty86

Some hilarious comments here. If one of you naysayers had a cycling accident, does that mean you'd never go cycling again as you'd be assuming that another was inevitable? Nope, i doubt it! :lol:

Credit to Webber, he was still able to remain very much on the pace (save for Abu Dhabi obviously).

segedunum
segedunum

richard_leeds wrote:As for not telling his team, that's the sort of thing you'd expect from old style racers like James Hunt.
I don't recall James Hunt ever being injured for races as Mark Webber has been - although he was intoxicated now and again. Raikkonen did a few snowmobile races and that's probably more dangerous than biking. Wurz loved his mountain biking for years and was never injured like Webber has been.

It still sounds like Mark using the excuse of "Oh, by the way, I was injured" again though.
Mysticf1 wrote:Mark has also announced his Tasmanian Challenge will be held again in 2011 with himself competing...that only spells one thing..2011 is his last season in F1.
I'd have an outside bet on him not surviving the season. Next year with Mark's physique added to weight distribution and KERS it's going to be incredibly difficult.

segedunum
segedunum

scotty86 wrote:If one of you naysayers had a cycling accident, does that mean you'd never go cycling again as you'd be assuming that another was inevitable?
Let's put it this way. I'd be going out for a more leisurely ride and not at speeds where my mate crashes in front of me and I go flying right over the top of him.

djos

WhiteBlue wrote:
Christian Horner wrote:I didn't even know about the book, let alone the shoulder. It is obviously disappointing that Mark said nothing. It was an injury that did not appear to have any effect on his performance but all the same it would have been nice to know about it. Our drivers have an obligation to make sure they are fit. It seems bikes don't agree with Mark so maybe it would be better if he stayed away from them.
I would agree with that statement. Mark needs to change his priorities if he wants to fight for the top honors in the sport. If you are preparing for the last four races of the season you are not supposed to take any risks in your training regime. If you go mountain biking you keep it nice and safe by selecting the right tracks and keeping a good distance to the mate you are training with.
I think Mark just needs to stay the F'off mountain bikes!!! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

Somebody reminded me that in 05 at the end of the year he told everyone he was racing with cracked ribs or something... wasn't he?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jddh1

Breaking news: At the end of the 2011 season, MW announces that he raced with a broken ego.

*The sentence above will be written next year, just wait and watch.