Koenigsegg Regera

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
User avatar
Andres125sx
355
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

SR71 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I wouldn´t expect any hiper car to provide great acceleration for 1-2 minutes, then becoming drastically slower until batteries are recharged again.

It´s great as an advertising, to promote some interesting numbers thanks to that light and powerfull battery, but if it cannot provide that power for more than 1-2 minutes sincerely to me that´s just an advertising gimmick.
Why are you assuming the batteries take long to recharge?
Because charging always take a lot more time than discharging. It´s some sort of rule of thumb with batteries, no battery can be charged at same rate than it can be discharged, low discharge batteries (1C) cannot be charged over 0,5C, higher discharge batteries (10-20C) cannot be charged over 1-2C, and the fastest charging batteries I know (15C) are those with higher discharging rates (60-80C).

These are rough numbers from memory obviously, but you get the idea, any battery can be discharged much faster than it can be charged

Edis
Edis
60
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

Andres125sx wrote:I wouldn´t expect any hiper car to provide great acceleration for 1-2 minutes, then becoming drastically slower until batteries are recharged again.

It´s great as an advertising, to promote some interesting numbers thanks to that light and powerfull battery, but if it cannot provide that power for more than 1-2 minutes sincerely to me that´s just an advertising gimmick.
Where can you even go flat out with a +1500 hp car for more than 1-2 minutes?

The car also appear to sell well, the waiting list is three years for a Regera and Koenigsegg have just doubled its staff.

User avatar
SR71
16
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
SR71 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I wouldn´t expect any hiper car to provide great acceleration for 1-2 minutes, then becoming drastically slower until batteries are recharged again.

It´s great as an advertising, to promote some interesting numbers thanks to that light and powerfull battery, but if it cannot provide that power for more than 1-2 minutes sincerely to me that´s just an advertising gimmick.
Why are you assuming the batteries take long to recharge?
Because charging always take a lot more time than discharging. It´s some sort of rule of thumb with batteries, no battery can be charged at same rate than it can be discharged, low discharge batteries (1C) cannot be charged over 0,5C, higher discharge batteries (10-20C) cannot be charged over 1-2C, and the fastest charging batteries I know (15C) are those with higher discharging rates (60-80C).

These are rough numbers from memory obviously, but you get the idea, any battery can be discharged much faster than it can be charged

Yeah I follow you on the discharge/recharge rate.

I ask you to consider that these are F1 cells though. Your much more knowledgeable about these things than myself but on most tracks most F1 PU systems can keep a constant charge.

I believe that since the ICE part of koenigsegg handles the top end, the batteries would get a break.

Overall my gut tells me Christian had considered the performance envelop before signing off on this system and he seems to be a very reasonable man. We can assume that for most drive time and probably most track fun, the car wouldn't fail.

Big assumption but you can expect a big sales hit for a small company if they under deliver here.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion
145
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

As far as I understand, the electric motors are only working at low speed (something like 30mph) so there is less chance that the car will run out of electric juice.

User avatar
Andres125sx
355
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

Edis wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I wouldn´t expect any hiper car to provide great acceleration for 1-2 minutes, then becoming drastically slower until batteries are recharged again.

It´s great as an advertising, to promote some interesting numbers thanks to that light and powerfull battery, but if it cannot provide that power for more than 1-2 minutes sincerely to me that´s just an advertising gimmick.
Where can you even go flat out with a +1500 hp car for more than 1-2 minutes?
On a track. But if we start making that sort of questions, what´s the point of any hypercar? What can you do with a hipercar you cannot do with a much more reasonable M5 for example?
Edis wrote:The car also appear to sell well, the waiting list is three years for a Regera and Koenigsegg have just doubled its staff.
I´m glad to hear it, I didn´t say a word at that respect tough, I love the car, it was just a clarification about high discharge batteries, wich IMHO are useless on any car as on cars you need endurance and high discharge batteries are sinonym of battery discharged in minutes if not seconds

User avatar
SR71
16
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
Edis wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I wouldn´t expect any hiper car to provide great acceleration for 1-2 minutes, then becoming drastically slower until batteries are recharged again.

It´s great as an advertising, to promote some interesting numbers thanks to that light and powerfull battery, but if it cannot provide that power for more than 1-2 minutes sincerely to me that´s just an advertising gimmick.
Where can you even go flat out with a +1500 hp car for more than 1-2 minutes?
On a track. But if we start making that sort of questions, what´s the point of any hypercar? What can you do with a hipercar you cannot do with a much more reasonable M5 for example?
Edis wrote:The car also appear to sell well, the waiting list is three years for a Regera and Koenigsegg have just doubled its staff.
I´m glad to hear it, I didn´t say a word at that respect tough, I love the car, it was just a clarification about high discharge batteries, wich IMHO are useless on any car as on cars you need endurance and high discharge batteries are sinonym of battery discharged in minutes if not seconds
If high discharge cells are terrible for on track performance, why do F1 cars use them?

Anyone buying this car isn't going to flog it around Singapore for 2 hrs yet these cells seem to work in an F1 car.

Koenigsegg is buying these cells from the same vendor as the F1 teams do. (There is only one vendor supplying the teams of I remember correctly)

The recharge rate on these batteries is next gen technology correct?

User avatar
Andres125sx
355
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

SR71 wrote:If high discharge cells are terrible for on track performance, why do F1 cars use them?
Because F1 cars are 100% dependand on the rulebook
SR71 wrote:Anyone buying this car isn't going to flog it around Singapore for 2 hrs yet these cells seem to work in an F1 car.
... for short periods, then need recharging. And you´re missing an important point, F1 cars do ask for 120kW, while koenisegg said they can get 520kW from same battery, so basically they say they can get x4 the power F1 ask to this batteries, so endurance will be 1/4 of F1 endurance, or 1/4 of a lap on a standard track

What´s the point of getting tons of power for only 1 km?

Anycase I´m sure that´s what the battery can handle, and they said it more like an advertising (look what great battery we use) than as a real world perfomance. I´m sure they never ask for 520kw of power from the battery

User avatar
SR71
16
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
SR71 wrote:If high discharge cells are terrible for on track performance, why do F1 cars use them?
Because F1 cars are 100% dependand on the rulebook
SR71 wrote:Anyone buying this car isn't going to flog it around Singapore for 2 hrs yet these cells seem to work in an F1 car.
... for short periods, then need recharging. And you´re missing an important point, F1 cars do ask for 120kW, while koenisegg said they can get 520kW from same battery, so basically they say they can get x4 the power F1 ask to this batteries, so endurance will be 1/4 of F1 endurance, or 1/4 of a lap on a standard track

What´s the point of getting tons of power for only 1 km?

Anycase I´m sure that´s what the battery can handle, and they said it more like an advertising (look what great battery we use) than as a real world perfomance. I´m sure they never ask for 520kw of power from the battery
Yeah that makes sense. Now I see your marketing point in some perspective.

Will be interesting to hear more about this drivetrain that's for sure.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion
145
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post


User avatar
SR71
16
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
SR71 wrote:If high discharge cells are terrible for on track performance, why do F1 cars use them?
Because F1 cars are 100% dependand on the rulebook
SR71 wrote:Anyone buying this car isn't going to flog it around Singapore for 2 hrs yet these cells seem to work in an F1 car.
... for short periods, then need recharging. And you´re missing an important point, F1 cars do ask for 120kW, while koenisegg said they can get 520kW from same battery, so basically they say they can get x4 the power F1 ask to this batteries, so endurance will be 1/4 of F1 endurance, or 1/4 of a lap on a standard track

What´s the point of getting tons of power for only 1 km?

Anycase I´m sure that´s what the battery can handle, and they said it more like an advertising (look what great battery we use) than as a real world perfomance. I´m sure they never ask for 520kw of power from the battery
I was having a look at photos of Mercs powerstore (battery) and the Regera battery. the Regera battery casing appears to be 3-4X larger than an F1 battery casing. Without knowing final cell count I still believe the statement you made above that I BOLDED to be incorrect.

If they have 4X the cell's then they could get 4X the power and endurance on a standard track....

User avatar
Andres125sx
355
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post

SR71 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
SR71 wrote:If high discharge cells are terrible for on track performance, why do F1 cars use them?
Because F1 cars are 100% dependand on the rulebook
SR71 wrote:Anyone buying this car isn't going to flog it around Singapore for 2 hrs yet these cells seem to work in an F1 car.
... for short periods, then need recharging. And you´re missing an important point, F1 cars do ask for 120kW, while koenisegg said they can get 520kW from same battery, so basically they say they can get x4 the power F1 ask to this batteries, so endurance will be 1/4 of F1 endurance, or 1/4 of a lap on a standard track

What´s the point of getting tons of power for only 1 km?

Anycase I´m sure that´s what the battery can handle, and they said it more like an advertising (look what great battery we use) than as a real world perfomance. I´m sure they never ask for 520kw of power from the battery
I was having a look at photos of Mercs powerstore (battery) and the Regera battery. the Regera battery casing appears to be 3-4X larger than an F1 battery casing. Without knowing final cell count I still believe the statement you made above that I BOLDED to be incorrect.

If they have 4X the cell's then they could get 4X the power or endurance on a standard track....
Corrected that for you :)

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion
145
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post


Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion
145
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post


Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion
145
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post


roon
roon
449
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

Post