Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Edis
Edis

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Cold Fussion wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 06:59
ME4ME wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 09:40
I'm no engine expert but I was under the impression that a V10 is inherenty smoother than a V6. Also not sure why a V12 would be any smoother than a V6. Care to elaborate on this?
A V12 naturally has balanced primary and secondary forces where as V6s and V10s do not.
Not true, V6, V10 and V12 engines does not have any free inertia forces. Primary aswell as secondary is balanced. The problem with the V6, just like the I3, I5 and V10 is that they have free moments; that is the inertia forces are not balanced in the center of the engine. As a result, the engine will "rock" back and forth. An inline six is basically two mirrored I3 engines, which is used to cancel out the free moments of the I3. For a V6, just like with the I3, a balance shaft is needed to deal with the free moments.

humble sabot

What's the difference between free inertia forces, and free moment forces?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

DiogoBrand

EE has a series of videos about engine balance. He explains well why I6's and V12's are more balanced than I4's and V8's, and every other layout as well.

humble sabot

Back to the aero side of things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuGE9sI18U
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Andres125sx

Looks like the track only version will be drastically different...

Around 250mph/400kph top speed, more than 3G cornering, and 3.5G braking. Not what F1 cars do, but impressive for a production ( :lol: ) car

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... r-revealed

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

So the "road car as fast as an F1 car" is actually "an LMP-like car that isn't as fast as an F1 car". :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzQExF4D18

Oh hey look, it's a royal pain for ingress and egress, you better get used to the muffin tops of your passenger, and visibility with the narrow windscreen and huge A pillars is abysmal. Can't imagine using this on the road at all unless you drive around for a couple of hours and return straight home.

humble sabot

And the above complaints are why we get saddled with crossovers and honda fits when it comes to plebian money.

That is not hard to get into. First he's playing it up; second he's trying not to damage it because it's a mockup and not made of structural composites; and third, he's an out of shape upperclass knob more concerned with the creases in his overpriced chinos than actually getting in and out of the car.
Of course the point is moot, because the people who bought them have already decided they can "handle" it. I truly don't understand this obsession with "ingress/egress". I know a car does all the work for you once you're in it, but shouldn't that be enough that it's worth putting a tiny bit of effort into accessing it? Horseback riders do all the time.
:roll:
people are so damn boring
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

It's a valid critique because the original announcements for it, (as well as the incessant defence by SR-71 in this very thread) talked about how it's going to be a luxury car capable of F1 performance. There's no way someone could claim this to be a luxury car from that video.

krisfx
krisfx

Cold Fussion wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:41
It's a valid critique because the original announcements for it, (as well as the incessant defence by SR-71 in this very thread) talked about how it's going to be a luxury car capable of F1 performance. There's no way someone could claim this to be a luxury car from that video.
It's a luxury because it costs £2m or whatever the figure is and it'll be enjoyed very rarely by very lucky individuals.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

humble sabot wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:39
And the above complaints are why we get saddled with crossovers and honda fits when it comes to plebian money.

That is not hard to get into. First he's playing it up; second he's trying not to damage it because it's a mockup and not made of structural composites; and third, he's an out of shape upperclass knob more concerned with the creases in his overpriced chinos than actually getting in and out of the car.
Of course the point is moot, because the people who bought them have already decided they can "handle" it. I truly don't understand this obsession with "ingress/egress". I know a car does all the work for you once you're in it, but shouldn't that be enough that it's worth putting a tiny bit of effort into accessing it? Horseback riders do all the time.
:roll:
people are so damn boring
The people who bought a car like this are at least Tim's size. And no, that demo car IS made of structural carbon. But who would want to stand on the seat of a 2 million dollar car. The people who have decided they can "handle" it will get in, drive around the neighborhood, and then garage it. Then they'll try to get a friend to sit in it as a passenger, and the "never make them touch" rules go out the window. Then they'll relegate it for the "special events" and drive their other supercars 99% of the time. 100% of the people who buy this are the ones concerned with creases in their chinos, or whether their lady friend's gonna expose herself to anybody watching the egress of this vehicle.

For a horse, you don't have a choice if that's the sport/activity you want to do. For a car, you do. Most will choose ease of access over not.

McLaren changed the design of their chassis to address this. That's a FAR more common car than this, showing just how common this mindset is. Now, when your ladyfriend with heels asks if they can come along, you just say hell no.

roon
roon

NoDivergence wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 06:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzQExF4D18

Oh hey look, it's a royal pain for ingress and egress, you better get used to the muffin tops of your passenger, and visibility with the narrow windscreen and huge A pillars is abysmal. Can't imagine using this on the road at all unless you drive around for a couple of hours and return straight home.
It's like a twelve minute selfie.

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 20:27
So the "road car as fast as an F1 car" is actually "an LMP-like car that isn't as fast as an F1 car". :roll:
1. Buy 21st century era F1 car
2. Fit the interior with NVH comforts, incur weight penalty
3. Add canopy, incur weight penalty
4. Remove F1 engine, add trellis frame, install any variety of production engine capable of making sufficient power
5. Remove ballast blocks, fill tank only partially--offset weight gains
6. Benefit from ABS, traction control, and free aero dev

Presto?

humble sabot

Would you want that though?
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot