UK to end hydrocarbon-fuelled cars in 2040

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Re: UK to end hydrocarbon-fuelled cars in 2040

Tommy Cookers wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 15:08
DChemTech wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 13:12
.... someone needs to start this. It might as well be us (after all, we also live in countries that have had the most benefit from fossil fuels in the past).
DCT
presumably D stands for doubletalk ....
Said the one who always dodge any unconfortable question...

DChemTech
DChemTech

The funny thing about this "why should we be the first" debate
fully agree Andres :)

Brake Horse Power
Brake Horse Power

Brake Horse Power wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 12:39
In my opinion countries who screw up the environment must be sanctioned, ór must be given a new perspective if they stop it. Same as countries who violate human rights or who have a violent regime. Just don't do business with these countries. Brazils apparent approach to the Amazon forest as a leading example, this is not an internal affair only as the government there believes.
Just after my little rant here I see in the news that France and Germany treathen to cancel the talks for a trade deal with Brazil.

strad

living a lavish life with no regard to the future.

You know like Al Gore flying around the world on his private G2B jet or Gov. Inslee flying all over the country to campaign. All the while preaching to us.
I have often wondered why all you that want to get rid of ICE cars and all sorts of other costly changes aren't pushing just as hard to plant millions of trees. You know those things that take the CO2 out and convert it to Oxygen.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hollus

Let’s not make it personal or too political. Thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

Hollus I hope that wasn't aimed at me. I only mentioned those two because they are high profile proponents against AGW and not for their political affiliation. I could just as easily list a dozen high profile celebrities.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle
Jolle

strad wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 19:18

You know like Al Gore flying around the world on his private G2B jet or Gov. Inslee flying all over the country to campaign. All the while preaching to us.
I have often wondered why all you that want to get rid of ICE cars and all sorts of other costly changes aren't pushing just as hard to plant millions of trees. You know those things that take the CO2 out and convert it to Oxygen.
"we" are pushing to plant millions of new trees, the only problem is that the livestock industry is taking trees down faster then anybody can plant them (at a rate of around 7000-8000 square kilometres of rainforest a year).

DChemTech
DChemTech

strad wrote:

So what do you want them to do? Hold all their rallies via skype? Spend their limited campaign funds on a voluntary climate tax while their opponents don't, thus handing them an advantage? Or maybe they do realize that sometimes you have to make offers to get things done. Necessity, not lavishness.

And as for those trees... that's pretty much the biggest push that there currently is - any time you buy off CO2 emissions, that's going to trees. And it's been all over the news recently, such as: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -emissions. Maybe it would be good to check statements before making them.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:

Brazil is burning millions of trees, putting hundreds of millions of tonnes of CO2 in to the atmosphere. So first you have to stop that. Then you need to persuade farmers to get rid of their cattle / etc and use the land to grow trees. The US doesn't want to lose its cars - I'm betting it won't want to lose its steaks and burgers either. Or is sequestering CO2 something that others should do? You see, this whole thing will affect everyone, one way or another. The "American way of life" will need to change and won't be available to developing countries. Developing countries look at the US (and others) and say "why should we carry the burden of this problem so you can carry on living your way of life?".

And if we start planting trees without cutting down emissions, we're always going to be behind the curve. There needs to be a reduction in emissions as well as an increase in sequestration.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

DC , , I'm sorry I don't read the Guardian.
What rallies do you refer to? And yes they should live as they preach and do as they would have us do.
Jolle, the Brazilian government is encouraging burning the forest to make more farm land.
Last edited by strad on 23 Aug 2019, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Stirling Moss

RZS10

Never thought i'd see anyone compare abolishing slavery to 'saving the environment' or 'fighting climate change' but here we are ... that's quite a hot take ... astonishing

Looking at CO2/emissions per capita is extremely skewed, it makes the worst culprits look not as bad in comparison because a large percentage of their population lives in rural areas in 'simple' conditions whilst their industry and urban areas almost make up for it.

It's as silly as arguing with plastics in oceans in order to ban one time use plastics in europe or america when a majority comes from asian or african trash rivers where people seem to think that those are garbage disposals with an extremely dumb "Out of sight, out of mind" mentality ...
strad wrote:

Or like that annoying kid who now travels to the US on a racing yacht in order to continue being a PR posterchild for CC hysteria only to have the crew that will sail the boat back to europe fly in to the US and the crew that is currently sailing with her to fly back to europe causing way more emissions than her just taking a normal flight =D>

Or what was that meeting of all those stars and entrepreneurs, was it the google camp where they met up to discuss climate change? Where they arrived in over one hundred private jets and a couple of mega yachts ... the elites leading by example only to tell us plebs we should stop eating meat and eat bugs instead or some such ...
Tommy Cookers wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 12:34
today's news ....
the UK Parliamentary Select Committee says we must give up our cars, to keep our CO2 emissions on target from 2023
ie ban hydrocarbon-only and hybrid cars from 2035 or earlier and ....
ban most personal ownership of all car types (even electric) to reduce emissions from car production
I've seen a documentary which (rightfully) criticised various aspects of EVs only to then drift to "essentially we have to get rid of individual transport (car ownership) in favor of public transport and car sharing" - yea ... sure

Jolle
Jolle

strad wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 19:58
DC , , I'm sorry I don't read the Guardian.
What rallies do you refer to? And yes they should live as they preach and do as they would have us do.
Jolle, the Brazilian government is encouraging burning the forest to make more farm land.
What are your preferred choices of news and opinion?

strad

There are tens of millions of people trapped in various forms of slavery throughout the world today. Researchers estimate that 40 million are enslaved worldwide, generating $150 billion each year in illicit profits for traffickers.
Labor Slavery. About 50 percent toil in forced labor slavery in industries where manual labor is needed—such as farming, ranching, logging, mining, fishing, and brick making—and in service industries working as dish washers, janitors, gardeners, and maids.
Sex Slavery. About 12.5 percent are trapped in forced prostitution sex slavery.
Forced Marriage Slavery. About 37.5 percent are trapped in forced marriages.
Child Slavery. About 25 percent of today’s slaves are children.
Slavery today is a hidden crime, making it harder for the public to see and for those in slavery to call out for help.
https://www.freetheslaves.net/our-model ... gK3efD_BwE
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Local U.S. publications and TV. Not U.K. newspapers.
BTW I don't look to any news source for "opinion". IMO that's a big problem, That being that reporters have gone from where, what, when, whom and how, to giving opinions and trying to influence us instead of informing us. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

DChemTech
DChemTech

RZS10 wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 19:59
Looking at CO2/emissions per capita is extremely skewed, it makes the worst culprits look not as bad in comparison because a large percentage of their population lives in rural areas in 'simple' conditions whilst their industry and urban areas almost make up for it.

It's as silly as arguing with plastics in oceans in order to ban one time use plastics in europe or america when a majority comes from asian or african trash rivers where people seem to think that those are garbage disposals with an extremely dumb "Out of sight, out of mind" mentality ...
And in the US or EU you could just as well discriminate between demographics such as those driving gas-guzzlers and those driving sparks. Or vegans versus carnivores. You can always find ways to spin statistics in your favor.

And remember, I've already said per capita is not perfect either - it's a lot more honest than per-country however, because at least it given an average target how how much each country has to repair (just as their per capita investments give a better indication on how willing they are to do so than their total investments). I've also already said that, in the end, it boils down to making the polluters responsible. So yes, within those countries, the large contributes should be held responsible for their share. The fact that they have a lower per capita footprint does not alleviate their responsibility. They are responsible proportional to their footprint - that may be lower, but then again, so is their per-capita GDP; the relative challenge is likely as large for them as for us. But in no way does the notion that within those countries there are larger and lesser polluters, or that they are using technology that we may consider outdated, alleviate you of taking being held responsible for your share. Each country and each individual will have their own challenges and each will contribute their share. And by the way, don't forget part of that production is destined for western countries - and a lot of that trash is imported from western ones too.

Strad; it was't just reported in the guardian, and I wasn't expecting you to read that. I was hoping that before you make a claim like 'nooone cares about trees', you would first check whether that was true.
Last edited by DChemTech on 23 Aug 2019, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.