VW diesel cars fallout

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
strad

Re: VW diesel cars fallout

Here diesel cost more than gasoline. By the time you figure in other costs a diesel actually cost a bit more.
What I always thought funny was that diesel used to cost half or less of gasoline, but once it caught on they figured they could charge more and boy did they.
Basically diesel is just kerosene. For that matter so is jet fuel which also keeps climbing in price.

If they would just get their act together I'd drive an all electric vehicle.
However it's got to have 200 miles range and performance equal to or better than my Mustang Cobra. :wink:
Oh yeah, and be able to charge quickly on household current.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon
roon

strad wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 21:28
If they would just get their act together I'd drive an all electric vehicle.
However it's got to have 200 miles range and performance equal to or better than my Mustang Cobra. :wink:
Tesla have delivered that range and performance in a sedan platform since 2012. One of their 240V chargers is rated at 57 mi/hr. The 120V 15A charger does 4 mi/hr. As of 2017:

...the P100D variant holds the record for the fastest acceleration of any production vehicle with a NHRA rolling start to 60 mph in Motor Trend tests with 2.28 seconds...

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/mo ... st-review/
...along with a range approaching 400 mi.

strad

Model S P100D: $134,500 to $140,000. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon
roon

Why the eye roll? That's if you want the one that's way quicker than your Cobra. If you want the ones that are only as quick, or just a little quicker, with over 200mi range, then it's: $63k for the sedan, $68k for the SUV, $35k for the compact. According to their website.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

strad wrote:
It is unlikely you'll ever see quick charging at home considering you are limited to around 4kW of power draw in a standard home.

Big Tea

Cold Fussion wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 07:02
strad wrote:
It is unlikely you'll ever see quick charging at home considering you are limited to around 4kW of power draw in a standard home.
It still amazes me that electric vehicles do not have solar panels in the roofs.
OK it may not 'look cool', but if your car can recover the journey you just made while you are at work, it extends the range considerably. This is not including what is collected while driving.

Same with a garage. If it is large enough to house the car, it could contribute considerably to the energy needed.

I know there we have to consider weight and expense but it just never seems to happen
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

The surface area of the average car roof is probably around 2-3m^2 which means you'll be able to pull around 500W max from the panels themselves. Maybe on some long constant velocity journey you could justify the extra weight and costs to run some car ancillaries or a very efficient A/C unit but I very much doubt the trade off would ever be worth it in any other scenario. Maybe in the future there will be some sort of thin transparent solar panel film that they could apply to the entire top surface of the car which if efficient enough might be able to generate 2kW which then might be worth having.

Big Tea

Cold Fussion wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 09:52
The surface area of the average car roof is probably around 2-3m^2 which means you'll be able to pull around 500W max from the panels themselves. Maybe on some long constant velocity journey you could justify the extra weight and costs to run some car ancillaries or a very efficient A/C unit but I very much doubt the trade off would ever be worth it in any other scenario. Maybe in the future there will be some sort of thin transparent solar panel film that they could apply to the entire top surface of the car which if efficient enough might be able to generate 2kW which then might be worth having.
What about all the time it is sat parked? 500w from sun up to sundown would add considerably to the energy store, and more importantly would always be where the car is. No looking for hook up etc
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

rscsr

Big Tea wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 10:20
Cold Fussion wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 09:52
What about all the time it is sat parked? 500W from sun up to sundown would add considerably to the energy store, and more importantly would always be where the car is. No looking for hook up etc
The Tesla Model 3 has a 50kWh battery and a 220mile range. This means you need about 200Wh/mi. Or 2.5miles per hr of perfect sunshine. And you will most likely never get that much power from the solar cells. So again, this is a matter of practicality.

FrukostScones

Big Tea wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 09:37
Cold Fussion wrote:
strad wrote:
It still amazes me that electric vehicles do not have solar panels in the roofs.
OK it may not 'look cool', but if your car can recover the journey you just made while you are at work, it extends the range considerably. This is not including what is collected while driving.

Same with a garage. If it is large enough to house the car, it could contribute considerably to the energy needed.

I know there we have to consider weight and expense but it just never seems to happen
ready to pre-order

https://sonomotors.com/sion.html/
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

rscsr

FrukostScones wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 12:13
Big Tea wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:

ready to pre-order

If it would really work they would say something about how long it takes to charge, or how much range you get per hr of sunlight. But they don't.

FrukostScones

rscsr wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 12:54
FrukostScones wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 12:13
Big Tea wrote:

ready to pre-order

If it would really work they would say something about how long it takes to charge, or how much range you get per hr of sunlight. But they don't.
yeah, tech details are a bit scarce on their site. All they say
Under proper conditions the solar cells generate enough energy, to cover 30 kilometers per day with the Sion

proper conditons? Sahara?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cold Fussion wrote:
strad wrote:
Why so low?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

rscsr

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 15:57
Cold Fussion wrote:
strad wrote:
Why so low?
normal household voltage and current (fuses usually max 16A).
230V*16A = 3680W

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That assumes you use a standard plug. The house itself gets 230V*100A = 23kW and one could conceivably deliver a significant proportion of that, particularly at night.

People run 10kW power showers after all...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.