Autonomous Cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Phil

Re: Autonomous Cars

henry wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 19:56
@phil

You suggest that people will prefer public transport and offer the London Tube as an example. Strangely enough rider numbers are slowly going down on the tube network, even as congestion on the roads gets worse. Here’s a charming website where you can compare the journey numbers on the network. http://tubecreature.com/#/total/current ... 9/51.4989/ It shows the change in station entry/exit events from year to year. TFL are concerned about this because their plans have been predicated on steadily rising numbers.
I apologize for never answering. It's an interesting chart, but I don't live in London, so it's hard for me to make sense of the above link you provided on tube usage supposedly declining. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the above chart doesn't necessarily prove that tube usage is decreasing. Merely that there are (many) stations where the entries/exit stat is decreasing, while there are others that are increasing. Given that the population of most cities are increasing, I'd find it hard to believe that people would be changing from being "tube commuters" to fighting their way through congested traffic.

A few questions:
- is it really a decline or are they shifting from station to station?
- how many of that decrease is due to tourism (e.g. not locals and commuters)?
- You are comparing 2016 with current. Is that a fair comparison?
- if people are not using tubes, could they be using buses or walking instead?

As I said, I'm not from London, so it's hard for me to argue specific trends in that city. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable answer behind it though, that isn't "they suddenly decided to use cars".

The cost of running cars are becoming more expensive. Gasoline prices are going up. At the same time, inefficiency is increasing due to spending more time in congested traffic. Simply compare any car's fuel usage on uninterrupted highway commutes to stop & go traffic. Hybrids and electric cars help, but more demand of [electric] energy means prices will increase there too. Back to using vehicles in the city: Parking is extremely expensive and is increasing, given the room for parking spaces is limited too. This all leads to the simple fact that the cost of using a car as a daily commute is increasing over time. At the same time, the time needed to get there (and back) is also increasing.

Assuming you live in a place where there is public transportation, you can do the simple math of comparing prices and time. Here in Switzerland, using public transportation (the train network) is much much cheaper than factoring in car ownership, maintenance, fuel and parking costs. It's also a lot quicker too.

Of course there is a point at which one might still prefer to use a car. Around 2 years ago, I used to use the car on a regular basis to get to the city on Saturdays for a bit of shopping. Then the city increased the cost of parking spaces even further to the point, it's no longer worth the hassle. Taking the train is much cheaper and quicker with less hassle involved.

How relevant is my situation to the world public? To you? To anyone else? That really depends how good PT is in your area, how high the cost of driving is, how congested the roads are. But given population is increasing and that there are more and more cars on the road leading to an increase in congestion, I think the question is not IF but WHEN will your place get there too. And when it does, will AVs solve anything?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

Surely a driverless bus is an AV, as is automated delivery, cleaning vehicles and maybe even ambulance or hospital transport? The supermarket deliveries door to door probably need a person to deliver though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

I realise it was only in The Age, and therefore logic and sub editing wasn't required, but what the hell does this mean?

" In fact, driverless public transport vehicles dominate land-based passenger travel across the world today and probably will continue to do so for the next decade."

Big Tea

Greg Locock wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 17:58
I realise it was only in The Age, and therefore logic and sub editing wasn't required, but what the hell does this mean?

" In fact, driverless public transport vehicles dominate land-based passenger travel across the world today and probably will continue to do so for the next decade."
I assume things such as this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway

Also many companies such as Virgin are considering a 'Hyperloop" system

(edit, link added)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJk-ajPSv0M
Last edited by Big Tea on 27 Nov 2018, 18:17, edited 2 times in total.

henry

Big Tea wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 17:19
Surely a driverless bus is an AV, as is automated delivery, cleaning vehicles and maybe even ambulance or hospital transport? The supermarket deliveries door to door probably need a person to deliver though
@phil I don’t think it’s clear why the tube numbers are down, most of Transport For London services are down or stagnant. Many theories have been suggested including terrorism, changed social habits, eat or view in rather than restaurant and cinema, or just simple economic pressure wage stagnation and inflation exert pressure on people’s potential to travel. As with many operations there is potential downward spiral, lower rider numbers mean TfL lose money, they put up prices, rider numbers go down and so it goes on. To function well public transport needs to viewed as of general public benefit but many people, including many powerful and influential politicians, have a very narrow understanding of costs and benefits and how real markets work.

As @Big Tea says other forms of transport are also amenable to automation. Several of the big names have suggested autonomous buses, in some cases engineered to be convertible to delivery vehicles to utilise them outside human travel times. (This latter was a proposal in my Degree thesis on rural transport provision, I’ve had a long term interest in this subject both engineering and social).

Some of the benefits that are touted to accrue to AVs, such as mobility for the young, old or infirm, will require more than engineering expertise or market forces to make them happen. As and when AVs become feasible they will need to be viewed as an integrated part of a much wider network of transport provision. I agree with @phil to some extent but I don’t think it is either AVs or Public Transport but rather a well organised mix of both.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Phil

Regarding the tube numbers; It is my understanding that the tubes are generally well used, especially during business hours (e.g. the commuters). The tubes are probably also stagnant because there's a limit on how many people can be transported at the maximum interval. Trains have a physical limit in weight and size (length), not least because of the length of the stations. Intervals are limited by other trains sharing tracks etc. The trains themselves have a physical limit of number of people they can (safely) transport. From what I've seen, the tube in London is already operating at a very high efficiency level. They are designed with minimal seating so that more people can travel (while standing).

Swiss trains have gone through a similar process: 20 years ago when less people used to travel on them, the trains were optimized for comfort. Now with the large increase in population and commuters, the trains today offer more standing zones at the expense of seats. The seats that are available have been arranged more efficiently to increase seats (at the expense of leg room).

Despite these changes, there is still a limit of how many people can be transported across destinations across a specific time frame. Many trains here, as does the tube in London, already operate at an extremely high interval (e.g. every 5-15 minutes another train to the same destination).

When this critical mass is reached, it's only logical that people who are faced with long waiting times start to think about alternatives. Is it quicker to walk 5 blocks than to take the tube but having to wait 20 minutes? For some it is, for some it isn't. I'd say the London tube (as would trains in Switzerland) have little room to grow or to increase its efficiency. The network can only "grow" and meet a higher demand of people by building more tracks and more stations - which to the best of my knowledge, they are doing in London. This of course means that some stations will see less traffic as those people spread out over more available stations in the region.

Still, I maintain the London tube is hard to beat in getting across various parts of London for bang for cost and time compared to any vehicle, automated or not. With cities growing massively while bigger towns are turning into cities themselves, I'm skeptical to imagining a future of cars driving around there.

I.e. If you wanted to get from around Waterloo Station to Liverpool Street, how would taking the tube compare to taking an Uber (for all intends and purpose, we could pretend an Uber to an AV)?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

AJI
AJI

I couldn't resist. My Google feed has now officially become 40% motorsport, 40% AV chatter and 20% impending global economic doom...

https://amp.theguardian.com/business-to ... rless-cars

henry

@phil. To get from Waterloo st to Liverpool st right now is 20 mins by both modes. Google maps is your friend.

I don’t disagree that the tube is a very efficient people carrier. When I visit London I usually use it. But some times I take a cab, rather than 5 minutes walk at each end, say restaurant to train station with companions not equipped for yomping.

Whilst I’m sure TfL would be interested in your conjecture the truth is they believe they have capacity that isn’t used and they don’t know exactly why, or they haven’t announced why which is the same to you and me.

But I’ll repeat myself, I believe the future will be a mix of vehicles and lots of them will be AVs in various scales and occupancy levels. The smaller ones will be developed, owned and operated by private enterprise because they think they can make a profit. The larger scale ones will need public involvement for operation, ownership and development. There are many problems outside of simple technical capabilities that make the latter more difficult than the former.

You seem to be arguing from the standpoint that you think that some, perhaps only I, believe that AVs will be a cure all for transport problems. I certainly don’t believe that.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Big Tea wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 18:10
Greg Locock wrote:

And in your dictionary does 'dominate' translate as 'a tiny proportion worldwide'? It doesn't in mine. He used dominate in the present tense.

Big Tea

Greg Locock wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 07:10
Big Tea wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 18:10
Greg Locock wrote:

And in your dictionary does 'dominate' translate as 'a tiny proportion worldwide'? It doesn't in mine. He used dominate in the present tense.
You draw your own conclusions, as do I

Future tense, next decade, they could be connecting most of the major population centres, so will convey a large % of the population.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

One can't make a successful logical argument if thee are errors in some of the steps. the author of that article fails.

As to when AVs will 'dominate' the public transport market (by which I would say provide more than half the PT passenger miles), I'm sorry, middle of the century at the earliest.

However if you can prove that they provide more than half in ten years time (ie the next decade) I'll give you $100, which will probably be enough for a cup of coffee by then.

Big Tea

Greg Locock wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 21:10
One can't make a successful logical argument if thee are errors in some of the steps. the author of that article fails.

As to when AVs will 'dominate' the public transport market (by which I would say provide more than half the PT passenger miles), I'm sorry, middle of the century at the earliest.

However if you can prove that they provide more than half in ten years time (ie the next decade) I'll give you $100, which will probably be enough for a cup of coffee by then.
I will not even argue with you :mrgreen: . However, It would not surprise me if the majority of public transport and a huge slice of new cars sold in 10 years time are either fully AV or have the option to act autonomously in set locations, as I think many locations will be AV only by then.
And also, around 80% of the population of the world that need transporting live in or travel to cities

Edit

By Cities, Ii mean including large towns and conurbations

AJI
AJI

I asked Professor Currie for clarification on his article. He politely replied. See below:
In your recent article in The Age, you say, “...In fact, driverless public transport vehicles dominate land-based passenger travel across the world today and probably will continue to do so for the next decade.”

This has raised some questions as to what you consider “driverless public transport vehicles” to be.  Could you please clarify this statement?

Adam,

Good to hear from you.  Happy to help.

Driverless trains are the dominant driverless land passenger transport vehicle in the World.  Currently 40% of all passenger trains in cities in Asia have no driver.  They carry100s of Millions of passengers safelyeach day.

FYI my article is based on this paper;

https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/view ... ontext=jpt

Regards

Graham

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

40% at most then.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That'll be one of those "clever" use of words. It's only 40%, which to most is not dominant, but it's bigger than any other single type. Maybe the rest are 30%, 15%, 10%, 5% for example.

A bit like in politics where a party wins the majority of seats with only 40% of the vote.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.