Tata's U$2500 car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Belatti
Belatti

Re: Tata's U$2500 car

HKS wrote: Tata has always been helpful to the Indian people. What Tata has done even your Henry Ford won't have done. Tata's have given up their airline company and Power station to the Indian governamnt at a very cheap rate. (Nothing like they were facing losses).
If I was rude, I have no regrets.
You were not rude man. :wink:

There is a said here: "cuando el regalo es grande, hasta el santo desconfia"... that would be "when the present is big, even the saint distrusts"

TATA CEO (or any other CEO or company) is not a philanthropist, I bet he didn´t need that powerstation and airplane anymore, or that he obtained a tax reduction with that. Come on, man, Mr Burns will always be evil, even "recycling" fish :wink:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

sebbe
sebbe

No offense taken HKS, I'm a big, tough guy :twisted:
HKS wrote:You call NAno a piece of crap. That's the reason why no company in the world could have developed such an amzing car at such a cheap cost.
If you call an amazing car that death trap, then you won't need a coffin.
HKS wrote:If you were a CEO of any car manufacturing firm you won't be worried? Well surely that's the reason why Tata is the only company who has been successful in making a $2500 car and wasn't it the main attraction of the Geneva Motor show?
There's a big difference between being the main attraction at a motorshow and being successful with a design.
Tata has been successful in building a car that does not meet the safety and environmental standard of TODAY, for just USD 2500. I haven't seen any commercial success, yet.
HKS wrote:Talking about the sale of Nano in Europe and America? Its made for the Indian market. Tata would have such a huge market for Nano in Indian itself that it doesn't need to step out of India.
Tata is talking about doing it into the European market, not me! I don't really care about crappy brands and their crappy cars!
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

Ray

Not a bad idea. I'd really like a small car to cruise around in the city instead of my truck. Parking spaces are too small for it! :lol:

The only complaint I have is the air cars' tanks. I'm not at all comfortable riding around on a bomb. Those tanks are pressurized really high and one good whack from some moron in an Escalade and you are toast. Then again, who says that won't happen in any other car? If they an make it safe enough I'd buy one.
BBC wrote:Mr Negre says there's no issue with safety - if the air-car crashes the air tanks won't shatter - they will split with a very loud bang. "The biggest risk is to the ears."
That's complete bullshit. You puncture one of those tanks and it will explode. 4300psi does not go off with a loud bang, it destroys things completely. He could be saying that they have a fail safe valve of some sort, but that doesn't help when the light pole you hit goes through it. I can't believe they would tell such a bold face lie.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Ciro Pabón wrote:Tata has been thinking a lot on the path of "do we really need that thing"? Look at the "bearings example": they save money using cheaper ones, they are easy to change by the people themselves, using better ones if they wish, and they are not a safety hazard when they fail.
Oh yea? Have a rear wheel bearing seize up on you while on the highway and let me know how that goes for you :)
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tom

Bearings, even cheap ones aren't going to fail suddenly without warning. Frankly if you miss the horrible noises the things make (esspecially at 110 clicks) you're not paying enough atention and shouldn't be driving.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ray

Tom wrote:Bearings, even cheap ones aren't going to fail suddenly without warning. Frankly if you miss the horrible noises the things make (esspecially at 110 clicks) you're not paying enough atention and shouldn't be driving.
While I agree with you Tom, I must disagree :wink: My 1976 MGB makes all kinds of horrible noises when I drive it, and yet everything checks out fine when I inspect said noises. It sounds like it's going to fly apart every time it turns a wheel, but everything is okay. Weird.

Ciro Pabón

Well, I think Tom is referring to the constant hum a bearing makes when it's over the limit, not to the noises a car has "by design", Ray.

I've never seen a bearing to "seize", as Jersey Tom indicates that sometimes happens, but if he says it happens I believe him.

Few things are as characteristic as the sound of a bearing that is wearing its journal. So, if your deaf and your mechanic is also deaf, well... then Tata's bearings are a problem. In that case, let's hope your oil-changer mechanic is not blind or you might blow the engine too... ;)
Ciro

HKS

sebbe wrote:No offense taken HKS, I'm a big, tough guy :twisted:

If you call an amazing car that death trap, then you won't need a coffin.

There's a big difference between being the main attraction at a motorshow and being successful with a design.
Tata has been successful in building a car that does not meet the safety and environmental standard of TODAY, for just USD 2500. I haven't seen any commercial success, yet.

Tata is talking about doing it into the European market, not me! I don't really care about crappy brands and their crappy cars!
Is it? Are you aware that the Nano's engine is made by Bosch and this engine fulfils the Euro IV norms? Nano has even passed the European crash test too.
Talking about Nano, it was made to replace 2 wheelers. And yes Tata is talking about getting into the European market, but it has clearly said it would take atleast a couple of years for them to enter the European market.At present they want to concentrate on the Indian market. The first aim that Tata has is to upgrade the people from 2 wheeler to a 4 wheeler.
Tata has no plans to compete Nano with highly sophisticated cars. If they had then they won't have bought JLR. :d :D
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

Belatti
Belatti

Jersey Tom wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:Tata has been thinking a lot on the path of "do we really need that thing"? Look at the "bearings example": they save money using cheaper ones, they are easy to change by the people themselves, using better ones if they wish, and they are not a safety hazard when they fail.
Oh yea? Have a rear wheel bearing seize up on you while on the highway and let me know how that goes for you :)
1) If its a rear wheel I wont mind, rear wheels dont control the car. :wink:

2) I have never seen a seized up bearing. Considering their design that is a difficult thing to happen, but there are exeptions who confirm the rule :wink:

3)2 months ago I changed a front bearing because in began buzzing, is very easy to identify whats wrong there, if you are deaf then your feet can notice. Ciro, let me say that bearings are not that easy to change by people themselves (maybe many on this forum, yes, but not common people). At least you need adecuate tools if you are not the "neanderthal kind" mechanic who solves all with a big hammer. :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Ciro Pabón

Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

I will have the tuned version please :D

Seriously, with USD2500 in my hands, I would prefer this FIAT 147 (1.4L) 1992 model rather than a nano

jddh1

Belatti wrote:Seriously, with USD2500 in my hands, I would prefer this FIAT 147 (1.4L) 1992 model rather than a nano

Totally agree dude. I think the Europeans can make much better smaller cars than this Nano. I think it's great for India and the region there, but I'd take an old Fiat any day.
And I'm not giving up my Vespa either. LOL

virtuso13

Really good for India as finally we have a car if not everyone , many can buy.
We shouldn't crib 'bout its negatives as it performs its basic function of transportation coz that is what a person spending Rs.100000 wants . Also i hope this brings a lot of road development . And i'm glad that Ratan Tata kept the promise he gave to the people 10 years ago .

Also the Nano Europa , the one for europe looks pretty good though its more expensive compared to the real Nano.
We give dogs the time we can spare , space we can spare , and love we can spare . In return dogs give us their all . Its the best deal man has ever made .

virtuso13

Yeah i forgot to mention , Bellati that i like the tuned version of the nano .
We give dogs the time we can spare , space we can spare , and love we can spare . In return dogs give us their all . Its the best deal man has ever made .

modbaraban
modbaraban

Are those side-intakes there to feed the diffuser or just to look like a Lambo? :)

PS: you can buy a used car for that.