Tata's U$2500 car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
virtuso13

Re: Tata's U$2500 car

Are those side-intakes there to feed the diffuser or just to look like a Lambo?
I think that they're just for the looks.
PS: you can buy a used car for that.
Sure , who's stopping you ?

I think you are finding it hard to picture this , imagine three or four full grown adults traveling on a scooter at night when its raining heavily . That too on a road which is full of potholes and no proper lighting . This is what prompted Ratan Tata to think of this . Now imagine them in a Nano .

I've personally met the guy once , and what i figured out is that he's a guy with a continence . He just wants to make people's lives easier .

Now if you want luxury go buy a Jaguar or a Land Rover . I hope you guys know that Tata has bought these companies .

But its main aim is to provide cheap and safe transportation . And thats what it does .
We give dogs the time we can spare , space we can spare , and love we can spare . In return dogs give us their all . Its the best deal man has ever made .

modbaraban
modbaraban

virtuso13 wrote:But its main aim is to provide cheap and safe transportation . And thats what it does .
Okay it looks like mr Tata is a real Robin Hood, but did you say safe? :? And no I didn't mean Jaguar or Land Rover. How about Skoda for a start?

Btw why does the ultimate cheap car have alloys and LEDs? Sorry I won't believe in Robin Hood at least until I'll see the NCAP test passed in flying colours.

virtuso13

modbaraban i don't understand why u guys are afraid of the car ?
It is certainly safer than a two wheeler dont you agree ????? :)

I drive a Maruti 800 , my dad bought it like 12 years back and gave it to me when i entered college last year . That thing has not given us any trouble what so ever .
As far as safety is concerned it is adequately safe for my country and guess what it hasen't passed the NCAP . I expect the nano to be that safe and relaible . The thumb rule is that u have to be a good driver .

Anyway Europe would be having a different version of the nano called Nanao Europa which is far more good looking and has more features . I read some where that it is gonna cost 2-3 times the price of the Nano in India so i'm sure u guys won't be disappointed .I'm sure that it would pass the NCAP tests too.

You may hate it , but deep inside u know that its gonna be a success . 8)
We give dogs the time we can spare , space we can spare , and love we can spare . In return dogs give us their all . Its the best deal man has ever made .

HKS

I'm myself a part of the Indian Auto Journalism and I have driven the Nano myself. Its safe and it can go upto a top speed of 105km. The top speed of the car is 130km but its locked at 105 to increase the durability.
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

Belatti
Belatti

In Argentina they are still selling this crap as 0KM:

So we dont care if the nano passes or not those NCAP tests. If the car is cheap, they will sell it. Here, NCAP tests do not exist and nobody gives a sh*t about that. Sorry, but thats how the automotive uneducated population is here.

Beyond that I think that the government wont let the nano be sold at that price here: the other crappy car sellers cant compete with that and they´ll complain.

I maintain the same thought (for MY personal convenience): to buy an used (and older and cheaper) better car like this:

170 Kmh top speed and handles really well. Of course it would be a disaster to have millions of newbie drivers at 170 Kmh, so the nano is OK for some countries that still do not have road culture.
Last edited by Belatti on 20 May 2009, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

HKS wrote:... I have driven the Nano myself. Its safe...
Have you crashed? :)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Ciro Pabón

All cars are unsafe. However, cars are safer than airplanes (not per mile, but per travel), as discussed elsewhere.

So, an airplane is less safe than a Nano, and by much.

I haven't been able (in years) to find accident statistics per car brand. Numbers anyone?

Safety tests are not enough: a sport car could be safer (in tests). However, people that drives this kind of cars could take more risks.+

The only arguments I've heard are for larger cars being safer, but normally you heard those numbers when firms that compete with small car producers feel threatened in their market share.
Ciro

sebbe
sebbe

Belatti wrote:In Argentina they are still selling this crap as 0KM:

So we dont care if the nano passes or not those NCAP tests. If the car is cheap, they will sell it. Here, NCAP tests do not exist and nobody gives a sh*t about that. Sorry, but thats how the automotive uneducated population is here.
That's why I love my 1996 Saab 900. It's an executive car with low cost of maintenance, and it's as safe as it gets. Fully equipped, it is still much better than most of brand new cars sold in Argentina.

You keep buying Nano and Fiat, guys, I’ll stick with the Swedes...
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

Belatti
Belatti

sebbe wrote: That's why I love my 1996 Saab 900. It's an executive car with low cost of maintenance, and it's as safe as it gets. Fully equipped, it is still much better than most of brand new cars sold in Argentina.
low cost of maintenance :?: :!: :?:

If you drive like you have told me, my gandma drives faster!!! :lol:

If I had that car I would spent millions in spare parts, you know: time is my enemy and in my case, I need a car that can handle my angry right foot 90% of the time. Thats why I praise VW and this little and lite Audi-engined monster:
Low fuel consumption for pretty high accelerations and speeds, spare parts for a couple of bucks and even a kid can do the repairing....

sebbe
sebbe

Belatti wrote: If I had that car I would spent millions in spare parts, you know: time is my enemy and in my case, I need a car that can handle my angry right foot 90% of the time. Thats why I praise VW and this little and lite Audi-engined monster:
Low fuel consumption for pretty high accelerations and speeds, spare parts for a couple of bucks and even a kid can do the repairing...
That's why you have Brazilian equivalent of chewing gum while I drive an executive car, buddy. I KNOW what Saab stands for. :twisted:

And keep dreaming about VW being an Audi, and Audi being a Porsche... :roll:

When you buy a car with the same pedigree mine has, with an engine and design as praised as mine, then we can talk.

Kram!
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

Giblet
Giblet

I know it's subjective, and everyone thinks their own kid is cute as heck, the Saab always looked too.... odd... for me to get over. I really find it a shame they are just Subarus and stuff now. Nothing wrong with Subarus, unless you want a Saab of course.

I like what Saabs are about mechanically, but I noticed the words Executive Car a few times... you might want to look up that term you reuse.

"Executive car is a British term that refers to a car's size and is used to describe an automobile larger than a large family car. In official use, the term is adopted by EuroNCAP, a European organization founded to test car safety."

That doesn't define any Saab, past or present. I remember sitting in my friends 1977 Porsche 924, and the glove box latch was right out of the VW parts bin. Audi and VW use some engines that are the exact same.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

sebbe
sebbe

Gilbert, of course Belatti and me are just kidding, cause we're arguing about two different car segments.

On the other hand, on the "Market situation" in Wikipedia you find "Gradually, the executive cars became more premium vehicles, with basic versions with less equipment and smaller engines disappearing from the market."
Thus, an executive car is not only defined by size, but also for the confort and quality, target segment of the market, etc.
They are also defined as entry-level-luxury and mid-luxury.
I could talk much more about my car, but I think this thread is about a four-wheeled moped :twisted:

Belatti
Belatti

sebbe wrote:Gilbert, of course Belatti and me are just kidding, cause we're arguing about two different car segments.
Yup!

Its not that I love my VW, even if it has an old efficient 80´s upgraded Audi engine, but form follows function. I need that chewing gum to make slalom in the traffic :D

Of course, a Saab is a car I would like to have... when Im 60 years old :lol: Now I would like a Impreza 22B with its 280bhp and 253lb/ft torque:

Back on topic: Indians are making the contrary to what many countries are doing: changing bicycles for cars.

HKS

Belatti wrote:
No. The car is safe and it isn't a bad car. It handles well, and is amazing for city use. The car is safer than two wheelers, and the Bosch engine is quiet responsive. The only issue is the exhaust, its too small making some unwanted noise during idling.
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

Belatti
Belatti

HKS wrote:
Belatti wrote:
No. The car is safe and it isn't a bad car. It handles well, and is amazing for city use. The car is safer than two wheelers, and the Bosch engine is quiet responsive. The only issue is the exhaust, its too small making some unwanted noise during idling.
You know, I would love to read one of those comparisons some car magazines make between two or three cars, where a suitable journalist drives both cars.

It would be nice a comparison against the Smart.