Thoughts about aerodynamic improvements in a 550 Spyder

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
747heavy

Re: Thoughts about aerodynamic improvements in a 550 Spyder

you may ask this question to tomba or Mx-tifosi (direct via PM), but as far as I can see it, this place is o.k. within the F1technical.net BB.
Sure that in the endless www, there are other places/foren where people discuss such topics.

As for your question. The suspension will have a great influence on your overall design. As you will need to consider where,how and how much load you put/transmit into your chassis. So changing from one suspension typre to another is maybe not that straight forward, as you will need to keep the stiffness and overall integrety of your structure/chassis in mind.

As I said before, I´m not the kit car expert (far from), but as far as I know, or have seen in the past, most replicas/kit cars where based onto a VW bettle (fusca) floorpan (platefom). Just remember all the beach/dune biggy´s which where/are? still popular in Brazil.
The reason is simple, because the chassis/platfom is/was carrying all the load and holds the suspension, engine and gearbox in place.
There is not much load in the bodyshell itself, so you can go and put more o less any fibreglass body on top of it and don´t have to worry about, if it will be strong enough.
Some 365/spyder replicas are still based on this concept. O.K. I think, you need to shorten the floor a little bit, as the spyder has a shorter wheelbase then the Beetle.

We should first take a look at what you would like to do, I would say.
Do you want to modify an exsiting kit/replica o built a car from scratch?
What is your budget, at least the region 10 000$ 25 000$ or +100000$, as this will put some limits in place of what you can and can`t do.
Sure you can go out and built the best 550 Spyder copy in the world, it´s doable, but you may end up with a price for which you could go and buy a new Boxster, which still would be the better driving/handling car in all likelyhood.

A double wishbone suspension package is more then suficient for this type of car - IMHO. Keep in mind that most purpose built race cars are still double wishbone. I would not worry/spend time considering a multi link axle.
But if you go for double wishbone (which the original spyder does not have), you need to consider a full space frame chassis, as you will need the pickup points for your suspension (wishbones, dampers, springs etc.)

Salutdos
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

ghamauricio
ghamauricio

Re: Thoughts about aerodynamic improvements in a 550 Spyder

Hola hermano,

Most of the Spyder replicas I see around are built on a chassis that is equal to the original or one built from the ground up exclusively for it, but I'm almost sure almost none of them use the Type 1 chassis.

I just can't find the pictures I saw... Anyway, here are two pictures, one from a brazilian site, and the other one from 550spyer.net, but I don't know which one is closer to the original:
P.S.: There is no picture in this site (550spyder.net) that shows all of it at once.

I don't know which type of suspension is used in the front (MacPherson?) or in the rear for the guy who makes the chassis with the rear suspension based on the one from Gol/Santana (brazilian cheaper version of the Golf and the old Passat, which is actually more like a sedan version of the Gol).
Is it too complicated to add a control arm to the MacPherson, if that's the case...?

I don't have any money exactly now, but I'm planning on buying a car and I've been wondering that if I had R$30.000 I could buy an excellent second-hand car, or a brand new one with much more comfort then a Spyder would give me. But the Spyder has the appeal and the sporty feel, so I think I should spend around 25.000 on a Spyder, maybe 30.000 if it has a nice grip and some muscle.

For now I'm kinda brainstorming. When I think more seriously about buying a car (in a year or so), I'll consider all the info I'm gathering now and see if I can get a new Spyder, with or without a Subaru engine, with or without all the sporty parts (suspension etc) and see if it's worth it, or if I'm better off going for a second hand Honda Fit or Mégane, maybe a brand new Renault Clio, or Palio or something.

I just think the Spyder has got to have at least 120HP, and if the engine is from a Type 1, it's gotta be brand new.

Muchas gracias por la atención amigo!