Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Maplesoup
20
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by Maplesoup » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Pyrone89 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:52 pm
subcritical71 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:05 pm
Pyrone89 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:10 pm
The car started smoking today after the finish. The Alfa Romeo guys (yes, not a mistake) started cooling it. So maybe the engine was run too hard?

https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status ... verstappen
Probably normal. These guys are always swarming the car with fans when they stop. The AR guys are just being courteous and helping out until the RB guys get there.
I know, but a car startimg to smoke is not normal right?
The car will smoke if not cooled even after running just a few laps. F1 cars don't run fans and depend on the car moving to cool it.

If they don't cool it you can damage the engine and especially the turbo with what is called heat soak. The smoke we saw was probably some oil burning off from the turbo perhaps.

CLKGTR
80
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by CLKGTR » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Red Bull 'underestimated' Honda F1 engine progress with their chassis design

"We designed the car with too little downforce, we underestimated the progress of our new engine partner"

Image

digitalrurouni
19
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by digitalrurouni » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 pm

CLKGTR wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm
Red Bull 'underestimated' Honda F1 engine progress with their chassis design

"We designed the car with too little downforce, we underestimated the progress of our new engine partner"

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... d-Bull.jpg
Excellent!!!

Bill
-5
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by Bill » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Yet the Honda engine been constantly blamed on this forum for lack of results on races prior to Austria some even suggested they should leave f1.i think most people are too quick to judge even though they is no data to look at unlike on the chassis side, emotion seems to rule

GhostF1
148
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by GhostF1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:42 pm

Bill wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm
Yet the Honda engine been constantly blamed on this forum for lack of results on races prior to Austria some even suggested they should leave f1.i think most people are too quick to judge even though they is no data to look at unlike on the chassis side, emotion seems to rule
Exactly. They've proved to be one of the most reliable engines this year and consistently producing good power with probably the most impressive development curve on the field. They deserve the absolute respect of the field this year. Absolutely stellar job so far. Cannot wait to see what the rest of the season and next year brings!

etusch
92
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by etusch » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Bill wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm
Yet the Honda engine been constantly blamed on this forum for lack of results on races prior to Austria some even suggested they should leave f1.i think most people are too quick to judge even though they is no data to look at unlike on the chassis side, emotion seems to rule
How an F1 fan can say that for any contender of sport to leave

IvailoStefanovBG
30
User avatar
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 am
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by IvailoStefanovBG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 pm

CLKGTR wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm
Red Bull 'underestimated' Honda F1 engine progress with their chassis design

"We designed the car with too little downforce, we underestimated the progress of our new engine partner"

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... d-Bull.jpg
Just as Wazari stated in the beggining of 2019 season after Australian GP. Thanks @Wazari.

Wouter
199
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by Wouter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 pm
CLKGTR wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm
Red Bull 'underestimated' Honda F1 engine progress with their chassis design

"We designed the car with too little downforce, we underestimated the progress of our new engine partner"

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... d-Bull.jpg
Just as Wazari stated in the beggining of 2019 season after Australian GP. Thanks @Wazari.
Thanks @IvailoStefanovBG for remind us.
by Wazari » 19 Mar 2019, 00:45
Maybe consider this scenario; RB15 was initially designed anticipated kW from 619 of 618 kW + X kW increase. Actual kW of Spec 1 619 ended up with 618 kW + Y kW. Let's say Y is 130% of X. Maybe that might require some changes to optimize chassis for the actual new kW figures?

dtro
3
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by dtro » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 am

etusch wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:50 pm
Bill wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm
Yet the Honda engine been constantly blamed on this forum for lack of results on races prior to Austria some even suggested they should leave f1.i think most people are too quick to judge even though they is no data to look at unlike on the chassis side, emotion seems to rule
How an F1 fan can say that for any contender of sport to leave
I think that to an extent fans of a certain driver thought that his lack of results during his tenure with a particular team are salty because of Honda's success this year/last year. Those people probably really wanted RB to experience the same struggles as a particular team.

I for one am very glad to see both McL and RB succeed.

Bill
-5
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by Bill » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am

Redbull underestimating Honda I think is just Bs on their part they just don't want to acknowledge that they are not particularly good when they are new regulations. Last year when Honda brought spec3 Horner was raving on about how much big progress was being made Marko when on to tell the team to prepare for a championship onslaught next year no excuse because the engine was up there. Preseason Marko target 5 wins for Max & championship.they may get their 5 victories but trophie may a bridges too far unless Ferrari starts taking points away from Mercedes.

JordanMugen
19
User avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by JordanMugen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Bill wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am
Marko when on to tell the team to prepare for a championship onslaught next year no excuse because the engine was up there.
Once Red Bull fixed their rear end instability issue with their Austria update, Marko has proven to be correct. The RB15 is a very competitive car. :)
Bill wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am
Preseason Marko target 5 wins for Max & championship.they may get their 5 victories but trophie may a bridges too far unless Ferrari starts taking points away from Mercedes.
Sure, but that's ok. At least the team is in the mix.

henry
242
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:49 pm
Location: England

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by henry » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Wouter wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 pm
CLKGTR wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm
Red Bull 'underestimated' Honda F1 engine progress with their chassis design

"We designed the car with too little downforce, we underestimated the progress of our new engine partner"

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... d-Bull.jpg
Just as Wazari stated in the beggining of 2019 season after Australian GP. Thanks @Wazari.
Thanks @IvailoStefanovBG for remind us.
by Wazari » 19 Mar 2019, 00:45
Maybe consider this scenario; RB15 was initially designed anticipated kW from 619 of 618 kW + X kW increase. Actual kW of Spec 1 619 ended up with 618 kW + Y kW. Let's say Y is 130% of X. Maybe that might require some changes to optimize chassis for the actual new kW figures?
If 618kW is in Self Sustain, ICE + MGU+H, this would a little less than 50% efficiency. This would give around 660kW in Self Sustain Plus, 900Hp. State of the art, Mercedes, Ferrari, is probably 685kW, 930hp.

If Y gets Honda to this level the difference between X and Y would be less than 10kW. I wonder how big a change in aero design would be needed to cope with this?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

GhostF1
148
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by GhostF1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 am

henry wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Wouter wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 pm


Just as Wazari stated in the beggining of 2019 season after Australian GP. Thanks @Wazari.
Thanks @IvailoStefanovBG for remind us.
by Wazari » 19 Mar 2019, 00:45
Maybe consider this scenario; RB15 was initially designed anticipated kW from 619 of 618 kW + X kW increase. Actual kW of Spec 1 619 ended up with 618 kW + Y kW. Let's say Y is 130% of X. Maybe that might require some changes to optimize chassis for the actual new kW figures?
If 618kW is in Self Sustain, ICE + MGU+H, this would a little less than 50% efficiency. This would give around 660kW in Self Sustain Plus, 900Hp. State of the art, Mercedes, Ferrari, is probably 685kW, 930hp.

If Y gets Honda to this level the difference between X and Y would be less than 10kW. I wonder how big a change in aero design would be needed to cope with this?
I actually read what Wazari was saying referencing the engine code, not actual power figures... The RA618H is the 2018 Honda engine and the RA619H is this years one. 618kW too specific/coincidental. Maybe he could clarify for us, but pretty sure I'm right on this.

As in the sentence should look like this:

by Wazari » 19 Mar 2019, 00:45
Maybe consider this scenario; RB15 was initially designed, anticipating the RA619H to have RA618H kW + X kW increase. Actual kW of Spec 1 RA619H ended up with RA618H kW + Y kW. Let's say Y is 130% of X. Maybe that might require some changes to optimize chassis for the actual new kW figures?

henry
242
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:49 pm
Location: England

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by henry » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 am

GhostF1 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 am
henry wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Wouter wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm


Thanks @IvailoStefanovBG for remind us.

If 618kW is in Self Sustain, ICE + MGU+H, this would a little less than 50% efficiency. This would give around 660kW in Self Sustain Plus, 900Hp. State of the art, Mercedes, Ferrari, is probably 685kW, 930hp.

If Y gets Honda to this level the difference between X and Y would be less than 10kW. I wonder how big a change in aero design would be needed to cope with this?
I actually read what Wazari was saying referencing the engine code, not actual power figures... The RA618H is the 2018 Honda engine and the RA619H is this years one. 618kW too specific/coincidental. Maybe he could clarify for us, but pretty sure I'm right on this.

As in the sentence should look like this:

by Wazari » 19 Mar 2019, 00:45
Maybe consider this scenario; RB15 was initially designed, anticipating the RA619H to have RA618H kW + X kW increase. Actual kW of Spec 1 RA619H ended up with RA618H kW + Y kW. Let's say Y is 130% of X. Maybe that might require some changes to optimize chassis for the actual new kW figures?
That makes sense.

It’s amusing that the numbers read as kW are very close to where teams are. I saw an opportunity to extrapolate from a known to an unknown.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

seense
10
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by seense » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:56 pm