Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

I'm half expecting MGP to get hammered on this site much like last year.

raymondu999

Pierce89 wrote:
Websta wrote:These are the possible directions that the Mercedes W03 thread will go based on the possible outcomes of the launch/test:

Launch (Although we have seen most of the car)

Mercedes unveil reveals very interesting looking parts: Mercedes will be a front runner.

Mercedes unveil confirms a fairly vanilla looking car - Mercedes are hiding something, the innovation is under the skin: Mercedes will be a front runner.

Test results

Mercedes top the test times: Mercedes will be a front runner.

Mercedes are in the middle or bottom of time sheets - Mercedes are sandbagging: Mercedes will be a front runner.
I noticed the same pattern, but then that's why we all love JET. :D
And that's why xpensive is here - to provide the yin to JET's yang :P (yin-yang)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cocles

Here's a final question for the last few hours of this thread.

A few weeks ago, somewhere else on the internet, I corrected a guy who referred to the team as "Mercedes GP". I just said something along the lines of "They changed the name. They're Mercedes AMG now."

In response, the guy freaked out a little, proclaiming I was wrong! He claimed the short version of the team's name was still "Mercedes GP" as that was the name registered with the FIA (along with the team's trade name: Mercedes AMG Petronas). I personally thought the guy was a complete moron... especially since the only sources he could list were the team's Wikipedia page and the fact that the mercedesgp URL still forwards to the new mercedes-amg URL.

The FIA's website simply lists the team as "Mercedes", which I think is perfect.

So two questions... do teams actually register the short versions of their names with the FIA? And if so, what is the short version of Mercedes AMG Petronas?

raymondu999

I always thought you could register in 3 parts - team name; title sponsor, and engine supplier. Like: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bugref
bugref

Cant wait to see whats the actual Sidepod and front wing looks like at close up...

raymondu999

are there any clear shots of the front wing from the front?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S
Mr.S

Ive got a feeling most teams would converge towards the Lotus(Renault) Front Wing version.

The car looks decent. Solid car. Hopefully Top 3 Material atleast.

Ohh & the best part is no ridiculous Monkey Seat on the Rear Wing which most teams have resorted to. Mclaren,Ferrari,Red Bull,Lotus,Force India & almost everyone has gone down that route. Cheap way to get downforce & possible compromises on straightline speed.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@Raymondu

Im a fairly balanced yang, as is X's ying when he chooses to :wink:
Although in fairness there has been a lot of love shared on these pages which is very refreshing from previous years!

Any way just over an hour to go before we can dissect this car!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNaZedAWmlE[/youtube]
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

I think the drummer is sandbagging. He's holding a mercury vessel in his other hand. :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cocles

Is the reveal being streamed anywhere?

Gerhardsa

i am very impressed by the tight sidepods. its insane. so those exhaust outlets on are pretty far forward on the car...probably for blowing the suspension then. I must say it looks further back than what I expected, but then in the same breath, they will probably test a few variations and positions.
I really hope this car is as fast as it looks.
The front wing looks to be a good interpretation of the Ferrari and RB wing to me. Interesting the the extra elements on it. (its about time they incorporate the 3 plane FW) It does look big though, and i hope that they have found the DF at the back of the car so this wing can work property at the front? Pointy car anyone? lets hope so for MSC's sake.
Sorry, havent read all the posts since 12 hours ago, and if i repeated anything the guys have already said regarding the echausts, pods and FW

DCren

Which reminds me, I need to login to their web site.
“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

kris
kris

DCren wrote:Which reminds me, I need to login to their web site.
Most websites used during launch of 2012 cars crashed? Will this launch too start with a crash?

DCren

kris wrote:
DCren wrote:Which reminds me, I need to login to their web site.
Most websites used during launch of 2012 cars crashed? Will this launch too start with a crash?
Hope not!
“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

Mr.S
Mr.S

No Stream????