Williams FW34 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: Williams FW34 Renault

Hmmm... quite a lot of this car looks the same (or very similar) as last years. Not exactly a good thing when the Caterham has advanced so much.

Pierce89

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:The question is if you believe they can get back to the sharp end(fighting for the podium).
So, do you?
I know the question is for manchild but my 2bits is that this car won't be fighting for podiums no. But I do believe, and I do hope, that it will be a step in the right direction. [-o<

Then again I thought that about the FW33.

Maybe the Renault engines will help?
I was on the FW33 bandwagon too. That's why I'm so cautious about this car. Plus,unfortunately they're two drivers might make the weakest pairing on the grid.(not counting the newer teams)
But all the naysaying aside, I truly hope this team is once again worthy of the of it's INCREDIBLE founder
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

xpensive
xpensive

I think Williams' far and away biggest problem is their lack of funding, two pay-drivers and sponsorship from a recruiting-agency, a pay-tv company and razors does not bode well, why I fear they won't make it through the season.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

:o Large Renault signage on the car, have they become a works team (or doing what Lotus is doing with Clear)?

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

look at last years car it had a similar amount of sponsors i wouldn't be worried

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Positive reinforcement by Maldonado:
"We are more concentrated, we have new people and the team is working very well. It's completely different."The car is completely different – we have in our hands a better car than last year, for sure.

"I was quite surprised how good the balance was from the first lap. We were a bit heavy with the fuel and not pushing 100 per cent, but the first impression I had is that the car was working well and I was happy with what we had.

"I'm happy with the engine, and the car is more stable. We need to do more runs to understand the aerodynamics and the mechanics of the car, but the first impression I have is very positive.

"Everything feels more compact and together than last year – everyone is pushing hard, and we feel more like a team. Its more organised and there everyone is working together more - even the drivers, we spend a lot more time in the factory.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97405
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

wunderkind
wunderkind

I have high hopes for this Mike Coughlan machine. Together with Renault, Senna, and Maldonado, I think Williams F1 is the dark horse of the midfielders to challenge the Big-5 when the pendulum swings to their favour.

mrk189
mrk189

wunderkind wrote:I have high hopes for this Mike Coughlan machine. Together with Renault, Senna, and Maldonado, I think Williams F1 is the dark horse of the midfielders to challenge the Big-5 when the pendulum swings to their favour.
Every year, people keeping saying these things in hope of a revival. Williams lag too much behind the big teams in terms of funding to even be remotely competitive. They have wasted many years moving down the grid with a clearly disfunctional design team and are now suddenly realising that they needed new blood. It is probably too late now. I hope I'm wrong.
You don't need a licence to drive a sandwich

Mr.S
Mr.S

Maldonando being a GP 2 Champion,initially I had high hopes. But the way he talks I dont think he understands anything. I mean rookies in F1 take time to imrpove although Perez & Di-Resta did very well in their debut year. But by the end of the season they should steady improvement,like hulk did out-performing Rubens or being there about towards the end of the season.

Pastor gets out-qualified by a 40 year old Rubens by 0.5 of a seconds in the last race of the season. He has more crashes than probably Petrov in his 1st year. The worst thing about is him is his talk. I am confident Williams will improve. They will give me a better car that I deserve. That is why I stayed & stuff. As if he is Alonso.

Dude are you only in there for the oil money. I never see him saying I have to improve in this & that areas. My performances was a complete DUD last year.

I mean with Bruno Senna & Pastor Maldonando Williams have no refernce point. I am calling it now either Barichello or a Luizzi or ALg or Buemi will make a comeback with Williams during the 2nd part of this season. Someone will get the BOOT

wunderkind
wunderkind

mrk189 wrote:
wunderkind wrote:I have high hopes for this Mike Coughlan machine. Together with Renault, Senna, and Maldonado, I think Williams F1 is the dark horse of the midfielders to challenge the Big-5 when the pendulum swings to their favour.
Every year, people keeping saying these things in hope of a revival. Williams lag too much behind the big teams in terms of funding to even be remotely competitive. They have wasted many years moving down the grid with a clearly disfunctional design team and are now suddenly realising that they needed new blood. It is probably too late now. I hope I'm wrong.
I know how you feel.

But I hope we will see more glimpses of hope like Hulkenberg getting pole at the Brazilian GP in 2010.

Raptor22
Raptor22

the wheel turns...

mrk189
mrk189

Raptor22 wrote:the wheel turns...
Unfortunately not fast enough :P

roadie

So, 61 laps and then...

FW17

xpensive wrote:
Considering that 15-20 years ago, FW was no stranger to fire a newly crowned WDC if he considered him out of line,
I wonder how he feels about being the subject of the well-willing from the likes of Hugo Chavez and his clan?
I would have fired a world champion if I knew there is a better one available for a lower price.

mrk189
mrk189

To get back on track (pun intended), has anyone been following the car's progress in testing or is it too early? I have a feeling that Senna is going to be the main focus of the team.