RRA and Wind Tunnels

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

raymondu999 wrote:
alogoc wrote:They should build a new one! end of philosophizing!
Yes but that's what we were sort of discussing - and Crucial was saying it might be an RRA violation.
Paddy Love of Mcl said openly they will build it so there must be a way around the RRA!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

phillippe
phillippe

Deleted - OT

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ferrari is building a new Wind Tunnel. The tunnel is to be finished by 2015.

http://www.blogf1.it/2012/09/29/ferrari ... del-vento/

Glad there is Cologne to finish work on the F2012.

radosav
radosav

that means probably Singapore problems were more due to they couldn‘t make simulation of exhaust flow in wind tunnel than corelation problem between track and tunnel. i believe ferrari has top art wind tunnel available at every moment.

Nando
Nando

RRA and Wind Tunnels

Regarding RRA.... Is it even in effect? I got the idea that nothing has been done in terms of the RRA deal.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Nando wrote:Regarding RRA.... Is it even in effect? I got the idea that nothing has been done in terms of the RRA deal.
How do you mean? The RRA began years ago and is binding until 2017.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

I thought they could not make up their mind on how to enforce things. They agreed/disagreed on several things.

raymondu999

Yes but a signed contractual agreement is in place, and has been for a while now. The disagreements were on how things should be, moving forwards.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

AnthonyG

alogoc wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
alogoc wrote:They should build a new one! end of philosophizing!
Yes but that's what we were sort of discussing - and Crucial was saying it might be an RRA violation.
Paddy Love of Mcl said openly they will build it so there must be a way around the RRA!
The logical thing to do is to spread an investment.

If a company buids a new building, the cost is always spread over many years. (in the accounts)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:Yes but a signed contractual agreement is in place, and has been for a while now. The disagreements were on how things should be, moving forwards.
Can i look at that?

aral
aral

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Yes but a signed contractual agreement is in place, and has been for a while now. The disagreements were on how things should be, moving forwards.
Can i look at that?
Fiat can build a wind tunnel for their road cars, as could McLaren and Daimler AG. The teams can then pay for its use, just as they pay for use of the Toyota wind tunnel.

Nando
Nando

gilgen wrote:
Nando wrote:
Can i look at that?
Fiat can build a wind tunnel for their road cars, as could McLaren and Daimler AG. The teams can then pay for its use, just as they pay for use of the Toyota wind tunnel.
That´s great but can i look at the RRA agreement? Where can i read this document?

raymondu999

Nando wrote:
Can i look at that?
It's not open for public consumption - us meer mortals don't have access to it. But I've always consistently read of it being a legal contract until 2017 (ie. The policing and prosecution of it should be pursuable even in normal court)

For example here's one of the places I read it: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/12/f ... -pull-out/
Relevant portion:
[...]it’s important to remember that the RRA is a legally binding agreement which runs to 2017[...]
Another: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/01/ ... bout-2012/
The RRA is still standing. The first agreement runs to the end of 2012 and the second, which was agreed in Singapore in 2010, goes until the end of 2017.
I don't mind talking of this but I think this is the wrong thread. Mods can we move the RRA talk?

[quote="AnthonyG"The logical thing to do is to spread an investment.

If a company buids a new building, the cost is always spread over many years. (in the accounts)[/quote]
Amortize it you mean? I think for a company this big such projects will be amortised anyways. If the issue was financial (which I don't think it is), I don't think this would necessarily be a problem that needed solving.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Spankyham

As I understood it, the RRA is a FOTA agreement and Ferrari and Red Bull (amongst others) opted out of FOTA.

Also, the RRA was an agreement without racing penalties as the FiA is not a party to the agreement - in essence a toothless tiger. Apparently it also could not be policed - there were complaints that Red Bull abused it, but, as I remember it, they refused to have themselves audited so nothing could be proved or disproved.

Lastly, I'm pretty certain there was no budget restrictions or spending caps in the RRA anyway. It restricted resources such as the number of direct employees (but they could be paid as higher salary as desired).
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

raymondu999

Spankyham wrote:As I understood it, the RRA is a FOTA agreement and Ferrari and Red Bull (amongst others) opted out of FOTA.
It's BY FOTA - but it's not part of FOTA. Red Bull/Ferrari leaving FOTA had no bearing on their participation in the RRA - it's a contract they signed out of FOTA. If they were to break the RRA now the other teams could bring them to legal (read: normal) court.
Apparently it also could not be policed - there were complaints that Red Bull abused it, but, as I remember it, they refused to have themselves audited so nothing could be proved or disproved.
My take is that it IS policeable - but the steps outlined in the current agreement (based on what I've heard) are idiotic in that they don't police everything thoroughly. If your accountant is creative enough, it is possible to go past the intended limits without breaking the RRA.
Lastly, I'm pretty certain there was no budget restrictions or spending caps in the RRA anyway. It restricted resources such as the number of direct employees (but they could be paid as higher salary as desired).
Yep, that's how I understand it too. X hours of WT time, Y Tflops of CFD power, etc.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法