Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

I think the cooling solution is smaller, but it's a packaging trick.
The head, widest part, of the radiator is in the middle of the car on the ground.
The tail, naorrowest part, is closer to the inlet hole.
For Sure!!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ringo wrote:I think the cooling solution is smaller, but it's a packaging trick.
The head, widest part, of the radiator is in the middle of the car on the ground.
Maybe, but look at the base of the sidepods (by far the widest part)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCGMUHwCYAACVwc.jpg:large
Now compare it to the McLaren which has a huge undercut:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2013-6.jpg

You'll see there isn't a huge difference and the base of the sauber sidepods are more inline with every other car. Like the RB8 for example:
http://images.conceptcarz.com/imgxra/Re ... ull-01.jpg

The rest of the sidepod somehow get slimmer though, which is pretty impressive if there's useful air flow there.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

the EDGE
the EDGE

some how I don't think teams develop side-pods to house the cooling, rather they develop the cooling to fit into the side-pods - a big difference

I think managing the air-flow is of far more benefit than than reducing drag from a tightly packaged shape

Artur Craft

stefan_ wrote:^ Do you even watch previous posts?
Artur Craft wrote:
Front end(...)
Either Morris is way too optimistic or this car is gonna win races this year. So far I can only give this to the team =D>
Well, it sounds good in theory. I am eager for the qualifying in Melbourne to see what it can do.
Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry. Already edited that :wink:
turbof1 wrote:This is better then an undercut: no bodywork at all. Air can now freely flow to the back, almost unhindered.
exactly!

Sidepods only exist out of necessity, not because they improve the car aerodynamics in any way. The more you can get rid of it as much as you can, the better.

About Sauber, appearinly, lower nose. I think that maybe that's related to the subtlepod.

I wish I had a CFD to see the effect but(a shoot in the dark here) I guess with such a free space for air to travel towards the rear, a higher nose would send/channel too much air to it and and that would damage the flow somehow.

Please, maybe that is a very stupid guess, but I'm just, again, shooting in the dark here. :D

Artur Craft

Instead of comparing with the vertical turning vane(which can be place wider in C32), we can have the perfect notion of how tight this is by comparing to the fixed dimension of the floow width:

Even in the bottom, it seems much slimmer. There will be really huge amount of air going between the sidepod and the vertical turning van, as was posted by :
beelsebob wrote:To be clear, here's where I'm guessing their intended air flow is going:
I also think this is the most signicant feature we have seen in any of the cars, so far. I just hope this ultra tight packing doesn't jeopardize Sauber's realiabily in any form, as I can't see it being anything other than great in the aero point of view

Huntresa
Huntresa

No overhead pics so we can compare to last years car ?

Nando
Nando

Yea would love to see the cokebottle, seems sidepods are thinner but at the expense of being longer, although i only have that picture to judge that on.

From the picture above it looks like there´s no drop off, just a flat surface then the wall.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I don't think the sidepod vanes can extend past the floor.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

westech
westech

ecapox wrote:I highly doubt any of these launch cars have an engine fitted or much of the internals for that matter. I guess if one wanted to they could make cheap bodywork for the launch that was nothing like what they will run at the first test. Not to say sauber are doing that but damn those side pods are tiny.
Did you watch force india launch they drove the car at sliverstone yesterday.

Artur Craft

The new Sauber C32's aggressive narrow sidepod packaging was inspired by Sergio Perez's accident in qualifying for the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix.

Chief designer Matt Morris revealed at Saturday's launch of Sauber's 2013 Formula 1 car that Perez's side-on impact with the wall at the chicane at just over 60mph made the team realise that it was possible to reduce the width of the sidepods by almost 50 per cent.

Despite such a drastic reduction in the size of the sidepods, Morris is certain the Sauber has not over-reached itself with the design, even though it took a long time to make the packaging possible.

"Checo had quite a bad accident in Monaco a few years ago and when we got the car back and we saw the sidepod all squashed in, we thought 'I wonder if we could do that?'" said Morris.

"The sidepods are a bold move, a bold design, but we are pretty confident.

"One of the huge challenges for us is in packaging all of the radiators and boxes. Like most things in Switzerland, we got it just in time!"

In addition to the aggressively-packaged sidepods, Sauber has also made some major changes to the braking system, which were tested but never raced last year, as well as lightening the chassis.

Other features, particularly at the front end of the car and the exhaust, are evolutions of the 2012 Sauber.

"We have a whole new braking system that we were developing last year," said Morris.
"In terms of the chassis, this is an area we've spent a lot of time and effort on to save weight. We've made some savings without compromising safety.

"The exhaust is not massively different to what we finished with last year, we just further enhanced it.

"The front wing is predominantly a carry-over from last year.

"One of the small regulation changes is an additional legality check on the front wing, so we've had to spend a lot of time changing the structure of the wing to be sure we pass that.

"That's something we spent a lot of time over the winter developing."

Morris added that Sauber planned to experiment with the passive DRS concept during pre-season testing.

"Passive DRS is allowed, so this is an area that we're looking at developing through the course of winter testing," he said.
Ok, this one I think wasn't posted in here b4.

Will certainly be a very busy day in this forum during winter testings and early GPs :)

KATO

Rikhart wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Most innovative car until now. By far.
Whats innovative about it, except slim sidepods? It looks quite boring frankly.
What-?! How can you not See all it has... They have a better nose then anyone else with that air flow conector (thing idk what it's called at the nose)
Side pods are small and they didn't just make it all small the radiators are supposed to be different and everything has been slimed down and they have a very cleaned up exhaust exit........ I actually feel its an amazing car I don't think Force India has a chance or STR in the MidField category it's the king here. We don't know that it can hold up to the top 5 but we know the C-31 can keep up with them so maybe this one that isn't an evolution of the C-31 but rather a revolution of he c-31 might gamble to achieve more then the 2012 car. I think Hulk maid the best move from the MidField teams because this car is fantastic..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Blackout

Interesting interview.
Anyways, Sauber always been a kind of 'expert' in designing tight sidepods with thin walls and tight radiator packaging (especially since 2009). I think they use different crash structure's; while most of the team use 'tubes', Sauber (and Marussia AFAIR) use thin conic structures

Rikhart
Rikhart

ringo wrote:I think the cooling solution is smaller, but it's a packaging trick.
They are also longer, towards the back. I think it might be a bit smaller overall, but not to the extent everyone is thinking, it´s just a very different way to packaging things.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Could you say that Sauber has cut off the part of the sidepod that on the Mclaren and Lotus doesnt extend all the way forward on the sidepod?

I mean Lotus and Macca have sidepods but not all of it go all the way forward but it goes all the way to the side, but on the Sauber that part of it is cut off you could say so they just have the small part that goes all the way forward and therefor gets a tinny sidepod.

Nando
Nando

I think another interesting thing is that while the side pods are thinner the actual inlet is way bigger.

Looks like they might have 3 exits as well, one big from engine cover and two small on either side of the gearbox,
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."