Honda RA106

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
dumrick
dumrick
0
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: Portugal

Honda RA106

Post

First tests today

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Narrower but higher, cooling ducts, in comparison with some other new cars, allowing to keep some downforce-improving elements in that area.
Similarly (diamond) shaped engine intake
Evolutionary interpretation of last year's BAR.

Guest
Guest
0

Track rod separate

Post

The track rod is now separate from the upper front wishbone.
As in the old days!

toyotaf1
toyotaf1
0

Post

yer i was wondering why they would go back with the separate track rod?

Rear suspension:
Wishbone and pushrod-activated torsion springs and rockers, mechanical anti-roll bar

sounds like they are moving back to the linear rear damper layout just like toyota.....

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976
2
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Midlands, UK

Post

Hmmm. Interesting when looked at in detail. Everything seems to blend nicely. Too many additional flicks for my liking though but I guess they are needed.
Quite chubby when compared to the MP4-21.
I wonder how many times Rubens or Jenson will do themselves a "sensitive-area" injury on that winglet at the front of the upper sidepod when getting in/out? Careful now! :shock: . :oops: .

User avatar
jezzwa
0
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Post

monkeyboy1976 wrote:Too many additional flicks for my liking though but I guess they are needed.
If the other teams can do without them you know there must still be issues with the aero of the car.
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

zac510
zac510
39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Post

toyotaf1 wrote:Rear suspension:
Wishbone and pushrod-activated torsion springs and rockers, mechanical anti-roll bar

sounds like they are moving back to the linear rear damper layout just like toyota.....
how did you gather that? The rear suspension spec doesn't even mention dampers. I didn't know BAR had rotational dampers last year anyway.

User avatar
Principessa
0
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:36 pm
Location: Zottegem Belgium

Post

I don't think that there is so much special about the new car...Lets hope it's a fast one!

Guest
Guest
0

Post

from what i know rotary rear damper concept dont use rockers. while linear rear damper do use rockers.

zac510
zac510
39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Post

Anonymous wrote:from what i know rotary rear damper concept dont use rockers. while linear rear damper do use rockers.
Back to the books mate.

TryHard
TryHard
9
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:46 am

Post

Interesting details.

Zero Keel for one.
Seperate trackrod. My theory on it being it's been moved to get correct steering geometry, remember the problems trulli had at toyota last year when they went ot a zero-keel, saying it made the steering much heavier... maybe this is all connected.

Sidepods do seem more bulky than some others, with not as much undercut...and that side wing is, well, rather large... :wink: Does have an interesting shape to it though, in that it seems to slope downwards, and has lost the aero profile from last year. Appears to require a strut on the vertical section though, maybe it flexs too much without (the vertical section it does appear to have a slight inward curve though)
I guess it's more of a flow conditioner now than a downforce generator. Aiming for higher aero efficiency to suit the '06 regs?

Shadow plate under the side wing is HUGE though! with a very square edge plan profile to it... interesting.

Rear of the sidepods appears tigher than in '05. probably as a result of less under the bodywork. Interesting to note the chimenys are blocked off currently, and cooling appears to be via two gills either side.

Engine cover looks to be tighter too (smaller v8 airbox?) with a bigger fin section on the back of it.

Main flick-up appears to follow the flow of the sidepod "wing", very easy to see in profile.

Would appear there is a second flick-up under the main one, mounted to the vertical turning vane supporting the main one.

Rear wings got a spoon look to it, not unusual for '06. Still using the double struts to transfer loading rather than the endplates. Endplates have more slots in them though.

Hope it goes well, Honda/B.A.R do deserve some good times after there (slightly own induced) 'mare of '05 :wink:
I also have a slightly vested interest in wanting the team to do well, as I know someone who works there :)

Laters
Ed

User avatar
Scuderia_Russ
0
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:24 pm
Location: Motorsport Valley, England.

Post

zac510 wrote: Back to the books mate.
:lol:

User avatar
Steven
Owner
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:32 pm
Location: Belgium

Post

Well apart from the mechanics that we don't see, I cannot expect this car to represent the step forward that Honda is aiming for.

This is why:
- The seperate track rod may have its reasons, but hiding it behind a wishbone also has its own. Aero is really important these days and I think this is just a sign for the rest of the car.
- That zero-keel looks a little bit like at BMW Sauber, the nose gets fatter and is not smooth on the underside as it is the case with Toyota.
- Yes there is a tight back, but just looking from the back... you can simply see more open space with the Renault R26 for example.
- The sidepods are actually huge compared to McLaren's or Renault's. There are rather big air inlets and the frontal space is big.

Btw... something about rear suspensions.
Bridgestone: Ferrari=rotary, Toyota=linear (they switched from rotary as they came over from Michelin)
Michelin: Renault=linear (I thought), Honda=rotary

Strange thing... seems like they are undecided about that one ;)

Guest
Guest
0

Post

zac510 wrote:Back to the books mate.
meant differnt rockers....

Guest
Guest
0

Post

Tomba wrote:Well apart from the mechanics that we don't see, I cannot expect this car to represent the step forward that Honda is aiming for.

This is why:
- The seperate track rod may have its reasons, but hiding it behind a wishbone also has its own. Aero is really important these days and I think this is just a sign for the rest of the car.
- That zero-keel looks a little bit like at BMW Sauber, the nose gets fatter and is not smooth on the underside as it is the case with Toyota.
- Yes there is a tight back, but just looking from the back... you can simply see more open space with the Renault R26 for example.
- The sidepods are actually huge compared to McLaren's or Renault's. There are rather big air inlets and the frontal space is big.

Btw... something about rear suspensions.
Bridgestone: Ferrari=rotary, Toyota=linear (they switched from rotary as they came over from Michelin)
Michelin: Renault=linear (I thought), Honda=rotary

Strange thing... seems like they are undecided about that one ;)
About the big sidepods: maybe they need more cooling becuase of the high power output relative to others? :wink:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens
54
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:02 am

Post

After loking at the front suspension and how it is attached to the chassis, my first impression is that it is aerodynamically dirty. In comparison to McLaren, it's like night and day. There are no fairings, and of course, the steering rod is not integrated witht he upper arms. Maybe they will clean it up before the start of the season, but my impression is that they are willing to sacrifice aero efficiency for mechanical grip. And that bump/fairing for the attachment of the lower arms is just plain dirty, it appears almost like an afterthought.