Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

That seahorse front end! :oops:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

Sevach wrote:
Some surface treatment done on the underside of the rear wing. Looks like grooves.

First time seeing something like that. Hope someone catches a close up.

mkable1370
mkable1370

FW17 wrote:
Some surface treatment done on the underside of the rear wing. Looks like grooves.

It looks like they did a similar treatment on the winglets that can be seen just inboard of the right rear tire. Notice that the "grooves" on some winglets are oriented horizontally and on others are vertical. Interesting.

Aaronque
Aaronque

Tight rear packaging

Jolle
Jolle

Funny, that the team, with limited recourses compared to the big teams and with a very late call which engine would be in the back, looks like has the most radical rear end. That car looks like it's one big undercut from the FW on!

Looking forward to see this car being driven in anger trough some corners!

piast9
piast9

I have the impression that these relative huge overhead intakes in STR and in new Merc are the indication that they think that it is better to put more stuff up high and take a centre-of-gravity penalty but gain in terms of the slim sidepods, minus one size rear end and therefore better aerodynamics.

ME4ME

ringo wrote:beautiful car from Torro Rosso as usual.
The gearbox is floating very high above the floor, reminds me of one of the mclaren cars a few years ago.
Well, i hope we see this car at the front, it doesn't see to have any draw backs in the design, as last year's car was very good. Now they should have more engine power as well.
Exactly what I was thinking as well. Can't wait to see how they do in Melbourne. The prospect of Max and Carlos pushing the car to the limit as if their career depends on it, in a hopefully quick and this time reliable car really excites me.

F1Krof

One of the smallest and finest sidepods up until now. How could they get away with it with all that heat generated? Awesome job so far, I could imagine if they had a proper 2016 PU they'd be up there at the front I reckon.

BTW. First Post, great forum. Glad to be part of it.
Wroom wroom

novenpeter
novenpeter

f1316
f1316

What if Red Bull said: ok, you'll only give a decent PU to Torro Rosso; therefore we'll throw all our resource behind them instead, as they have the best chance to succeed?

Could be that therefore the best chassis on the grid is TR so if you add that to the latest 2015 Ferrari PU , it could put them right near front.

Bit of a conspiracy theory, I suppose.

fawe4
fawe4

f1316 wrote:What if Red Bull said: ok, you'll only give a decent PU to Torro Rosso; therefore we'll throw all our resource behind them instead, as they have the best chance to succeed?

Could be that therefore the best chassis on the grid is TR so if you add that to the latest 2015 Ferrari PU , it could put them right near front.

Bit of a conspiracy theory, I suppose.
Not happening. They are two teams, there is naturally connection between them, but cash goes to RB, and they spend it on their own mechanics and people, if somehow TR would become stronger, Matesich could just shut down RB program, fire everyone involved, and give the cash to rebranded TR.

Also, TR is definitely not on the RB's level in development coming in this year. Just look at front suspension. They retained last year layout without any deviation, it's got steering arm high on upper wishbone, and everything is where it was. RB, that had the same design coming in 2015 season (with slightly higher complexity), turned it all around, they pulled the steering arm down, sculpted winged design on the upper wishbone, and radically evolved lower wishbone. This is something you can do confidently only if you have the backing required.

kreuzass
kreuzass

Overall very nice car. The rear wing is just amazing (endplates).
mkable1370 wrote:
FW17 wrote:

It looks like they did a similar treatment on the winglets that can be seen just inboard of the right rear tire. Notice that the "grooves" on some winglets are oriented horizontally and on others are vertical. Interesting.
I am quite sure it is just woven carbon fibre. There are multiple ways to weave carbon fibres for their desired purpose.
Last edited by kreuzass on 23 Feb 2016, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sebp

...someone had to do it...
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Sweet car. If Sauber, Manor, and Haas thought they'd have a go at Toro Rosso, they'd better think again. Force India gulps. So does Lotus. And McLaren. Sweet!

Crabbia
Crabbia

Just thinking this car will have a last years ferrari engine we know that, and the spec is locked so they will not have any upgrades through the year but are the allowed new software? or is that also locked out in the homologation process. if anyone has seen a topic or posts referring to this please please point me in that direction.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...