Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FPV GTHO
FPV GTHO

Re: Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

Toro Rosso share the gearset, the case is unique

Jolle
Jolle

It probably would be cheaper and simpler to develop the Toro Rosso as good as the RedBull and swap drivers if the championship is at stake then to swap PU's...

Winning is in the details, a cm here, a mm there.. degree of temp more or less... the Renault and Honda differ in more then just a few details.

Webber2011
Webber2011

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 16:00
Webber2011 wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 00:49
restless wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 09:16
no shark fin... that's for sure :D
I wonder how big is this for aero?
My very basic understanding of it is it makes the car more stable in yaw.
So I'd like to think we will see the cars sliding a little more when cornering next year, but I'm sure the teams will recover whatever losses they incur somehow.

The top Aero guys are too smart to let the ban effect them too much.
It also helps to smooth out the turbulent flow caused by the air intake for the PU.
Cheers mate, that's something I didn't know
Love learning about things on this forum 😉

carisi2k

I never said anything about swapping engines in season. I said swapping in preseason and more specifically after the first test day if the Renault is a hand grenade and cyril is being a total dick again.I also said that the RB14 could be prepared to run with the Honda if this is the case from the experience that toro rosso and RBT gained during the off season.

Red Bull via toro rosso knows roughly where honda is at the moment on the 2018 engine. What they don't know is what is happening with the Renault who has cut them off from development knowledge other then engine size, specifications and cooling requirements.

Webber2011
Webber2011

carisi2k wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 22:39
I never said anything about swapping engines in season. I said swapping in preseason and more specifically after the first test day if the Renault is a hand grenade and cyril is being a total dick again.I also said that the RB14 could be prepared to run with the Honda if this is the case from the experience that toro rosso and RBT gained during the off season.

Red Bull via toro rosso knows roughly where honda is at the moment on the 2018 engine. What they don't know is what is happening with the Renault who has cut them off from development knowledge other then engine size, specifications and cooling requirements.
How do you know this ?
Surely it can't be true ?

I'd be shocked if this is the case

carisi2k

It's called logic. Even if the PU has to move back a bit in the rb14 chassis with the Honda engine it wouldn't have a big turbo unit hanging out the back. The gearbox is at the rear and the radiators are still in the sidepods. The battery and fuel are behind the driver and in front of the engine. The air intake into the front mounted compressor is shorter and the ers-k might be on the crankshaft instead of beside the engine like in the Renault.

Webber2011
Webber2011

carisi2k wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 21:40
It's called logic. Even if the PU has to move back a bit in the rb14 chassis with the Honda engine it wouldn't have a big turbo unit hanging out the back. The gearbox is at the rear and the radiators are still in the sidepods. The battery and fuel are behind the driver and in front of the engine. The air intake into the front mounted compressor is shorter and the ers-k might be on the crankshaft instead of beside the engine like in the Renault.
If you're replying to me you must have misunderstood what I'm asking mate.

I was wondering about you saying that Renault have cut Red Bull off from all development knowledge

carisi2k

Webber2011 wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 23:29

If you're replying to me you must have misunderstood what I'm asking mate.

I was wondering about you saying that Renault have cut Red Bull off from all development knowledge
It will be just like mclaren and mercedes in 2014 or mclaren and honda post singapore announcement in 2017. Renault have made it clear that they will not be supplying Red Bull in 2019 and so what else do you need to know to add 1 + 1 together.

Renault will obviously be restricting what engine modes and upgraded software RBR will run while the Renault factory team will obviously have special modes and if Red Bull have a problem with packaging they will be told to figure it out themselves. 2018 is going to be another wasted year for Red Bull if they stay with Renault and this is why I don't understand why RB aren't running straight to Honda in 2018.

The 2018 Honda PU is said to be at least the equal to the 2018 Renault and RBR already have a working relationship with Honda for the 2019 chassis. It is obviously clear that Red Bull will not be winning a championship in 2018 with Renault. Renault are still having the same ers issues in the test bench that was happening at pre season testing in 2017. Unless Red Bull actually have their own Aston Martin branded engine for 2019. What is the point of sticking around with Renault in 2018.

ME4ME

carisi2k wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 04:49
It will be just like mclaren and mercedes in 2014 or mclaren and honda post singapore announcement in 2017. Renault have made it clear that they will not be supplying Red Bull in 2019 and so what else do you need to know to add 1 + 1 together.

Renault will obviously be restricting what engine modes and upgraded software RBR will run while the Renault factory team will obviously have special modes and if Red Bull have a problem with packaging they will be told to figure it out themselves. 2018 is going to be another wasted year for Red Bull if they stay with Renault and this is why I don't understand why RB aren't running straight to Honda in 2018.

The 2018 Honda PU is said to be at least the equal to the 2018 Renault and RBR already have a working relationship with Honda for the 2019 chassis. It is obviously clear that Red Bull will not be winning a championship in 2018 with Renault. Renault are still having the same ers issues in the test bench that was happening at pre season testing in 2017. Unless Red Bull actually have their own Aston Martin branded engine for 2019. What is the point of sticking around with Renault in 2018.
Tbh even Horner gives Renault more credit than that. Both Red Bull and Mclaren have indicated that pairity is written in their contract. Also, Renault are not yet in a position to challenge for the championship. However, their PU might be able to win races thanks two their two costumer teams. Letting them win might put and end to the critisism that Renault gets for their PU. I don't think 2018 is the year that Renault will start to play dirty games with its costumers.

mclaren111

Franz Tost:
“We had a completely different plan for 2018, we wanted to use the complete rear end from Red Bull Racing, or Red Bull Technology, which is not the case anymore because we have a different engine, and we have to bring in people to bring this project to a successful end. But this is a normal process.”

There's the answer.

lio007

We all know, RBR has this VTT-bench. I wonder why Renault still has so many reliability issues. Or do you think the Renault-PU is not running on the VTT?

To be honest, Renault has been really fair in terms of PU-Software and Updates. Maybe caused by contractual obligation. So I'm quite excited about 2018 whether Renault finally get their PU sorted and if RBR gets equal material.

carisi2k

Mclaren will get parity but to all of those who think Red Bull will get parity in 2018 you should think again.

Renault and Mclaren will be using castrol oil and Red Bull will be using Mobil 1. This is one element already where parity is not achievable. There is no guarantee that any gains Renault achieves in the 2018 PU with castrol oil will be applicable to Mobil 1 oil.

Red Bull and Renault will not be together in 2019 and so protection will be in place preventing Red Bull from getting any engines for testing back at the factory like they did in previous years. Look at what Renault did to Toro Rosso once it was announced they were switching to Honda. Renault already knows Red Bull will be elsewhere in 2019 and so look to similar things happening in 2018 to Red Bull.

CH has always been the politician when it comes to Red Bull and Renault with Marko being the tell it how it is spokesman. Listening to Marko is what you know Red Bull are actually thinking. CH only speaks words to keep cyril happy.

Red Bull is already working on the 2019 RB15-Honda or Aston Martin and so don't expect Red Bull to bring that many developments to the RB14. Expect Red Bulls 2018 wind tunnel and simulator testing to be used purely for the development of it's 2019 RB15.

lio007

carisi2k wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 10:52

Red Bull is already working on the 2019 RB15-Honda or Aston Martin and so don't expect Red Bull to bring that many developments to the RB14. Expect Red Bulls 2018 wind tunnel and simulator testing to be used purely for the development of it's 2019 RB15.
Is it your assumption / guess / opinion, or is it a fact and confirmed by e.g. Insiders?

Regarding oil: i think Mobil1 did a decent job in 2017. There were no obvious lack of Performance caused by fuel or lubricants.

Wouter

carisi2k wrote:

I agree that RBR is already working on the RB15-Honda, but the RB14 will get as many as possible developments.
They have to do that because of the lack of power and reliabilty from the Renault engine.
The Power of Dreams!

FPV GTHO
FPV GTHO

lio007 wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 10:58
carisi2k wrote:

Is it your assumption / guess / opinion, or is it a fact and confirmed by e.g. Insiders?

Regarding oil: i think Mobil1 did a decent job in 2017. There were no obvious lack of Performance caused by fuel or lubricants.
I think at this stage he is just throwing --- at the wall and waiting to see what sticks.