Mercedes W09 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes W09 Speculation Thread

dans79 wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 23:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 22:14
Interestingly it looks like the rear wing pillar won't be on the top of the exhaust pipe. Twin pillars like the Ferrari SF70H perhaps?
That's whats Scarabs posted to twitter a little while ago!
Ah, I don't follow Twitter so hadn't seen his post.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

toraabe
toraabe

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 22:14
Twitter post suggesting oil burning. Looked like a new engine starting up to me. :roll:

Interestingly it looks like the rear wing pillar won't be on the top of the exhaust pipe. Twin pillars like the Ferrari SF70H perhaps?
You're always baxing those engines until oil pressure is up to target level before ignition is engaged.

Dino Scuderia
Dino Scuderia

most probably its an exhaust setup for the test bench

roon
roon

Wild speculation time! :D I say the W09 sports a pushrod rear suspension. The raised exhaust pipe is to clear suspension components. Pullrod rear suspensions may be a vestige of the '09-'12 formula, wherein pullrods benefitted the beam wing and high radiator exits. With beam wings and high radiator exits no longer presents, perhaps the pullrod is no longer the optimal solution. Relocating the suspension components higher may allow for more space below the gearbox and behind the engine i.e. more free space above and before the diffuser. Pardon the quality of the sketch, I didn't have a table for this one!

[media]https://twitter.com/ideaeon/status/960963926849548289[/media]
Last edited by roon on 06 Feb 2018, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.

lio007

roon wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 21:18
Wild speculation time! :D I say the W09 sports a pushrod rear suspension. The raised exhaust pipe is to clear suspension components. Pullrod rear suspensions may be a vestige of the '09-'12 formula, wherein pullrods benefitted the beam wing and high radiator exits. With beam wings and high radiator exits no longer presents, perhaps the pullrod is no longer the optimal solution. Relocating the suspension components higher may allow for more space below the gearbox and behind the engine i.e. more free space above and before the diffuser. Pardon the quality of the sketch, I didn't have a table for this one!

https://i.imgur.com/Hsao0r7.jpg
=D> !!!
But we're already in 2018...sorry, I couldn't resist :D

NathanOlder

I wonder how often the teams look on this forum, and when they see sketches like that, do they think, "what a bunch of idiots, they couldn't be more wrong" or maybe "everyone in the office, we have a spy amongst us ,someones been leaking info"

as for sorry for the quality of the sketch bit...... come on..... I think 99% of us wish we could sketch like that! =D> great sketch, and looks very believable to me.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

adrianjordan

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 00:29
I wonder how often the teams look on this forum, and when they see sketches like that, do they think, "what a bunch of idiots, they couldn't be more wrong" or maybe "everyone in the office, we have a spy amongst us ,someones been leaking info"

as for sorry for the quality of the sketch bit...... come on..... I think 99% of us wish we could sketch like that! =D> great sketch, and looks very believable to me.
Or if they ever have a "why the f*** didn't we think of that???" moment 😜
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Blackout

lio007 wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 21:28
roon wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 21:18

https://i.imgur.com/Hsao0r7.jpg
=D> !!!
But we're already in 2018...sorry, I couldn't resist :D
Did he write 2017? I think Roon is Doc Brown...

Anyways, good thinking Roon and great sketches.

dans79

First look at the Halo!

197 104 103 7

Raleigh
Raleigh

That's looking pretty good actually. Rear mounting points moved so the halo will be much better integrated into the car, with the right paint scheme and some aero details...

Certainly beats sharkfins, I'm calling a net plus on aesthetics this year.

dans79

I'll be interested to see what it looks like with the aero appendages. I'm betting we won't see those till the first day or testing.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

Raleigh wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 21:53
That's looking pretty good actually. Rear mounting points movedg so the halo will be much better integrated into the car, with the right paint scheme and some aero details...

Certainly beats sharkfins, I'm calling a net plus on aesthetics this year.
The Halo better looking than the shark fin? Steady on, I mean the T-Wings were ugly, but the latest Shark fin looked fine in my opinion, some of the older long, stretched fins looked a little odd, but the 17 shark fin looked sleek and fast.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

cramr
cramr

dans79 wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 22:05
I'll be interested to see what it looks like with the aero appendages. I'm betting we won't see those till the first day or testing.
Quite probably since Day 1 of testing since apparently they are needed to keep clean flow toward the engine intake