Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Sevach
800
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Sevach » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 am

Image

Old vs new.

Godius
231
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 am
Location: NL

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Godius » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:12 pm

VER/RIC RW comparison, via AMuS:

Image

Godius
231
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 am
Location: NL

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Godius » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:29 am

Ricciardo lost parts of the the upper elements of his FW on both sides during the race it seems:

Image

Image

edit (motorsport):
Image
Last edited by Godius on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brake Horse Power
6
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Brake Horse Power » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:52 am

After qualy he did say the low DF setup would have been a better choice :roll:

Sieper
63
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Sieper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 am

He lost those elements to the left hand side just prior to the pitstop, there is a Pic of him leaving the pits with them missing (and later on another with Kimi in the background, so just before he got overtaken, I think the right hand side was still there at that time).

They must have been lost (right hand side) very late in the race, certainly a construction error, this cannot be a coincidence of debris hitting twice.

The image cannot be mirrored as the driver info panel is on the left hand side (which is the correct place).

roon
441
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by roon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Look closely and you'll see the upper two vanes broke at approximately the same location on both sides, inboard of the pivoting carrier they use to adjust flap angle.

Image

Image

zibby43
230
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by zibby43 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 pm

roon wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm
Look closely and you'll see the upper two vanes broke at approximately the same location on both sides, inboard of the pivoting carrier they use to adjust flap angle.

https://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/w ... 11111.jpeg

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-conte ... 067688.jpg
Structural failures or debris strikes?

ScrewCaptain27
506
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:38 am

zibby43 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 pm
roon wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm
Look closely and you'll see the upper two vanes broke at approximately the same location on both sides, inboard of the pivoting carrier they use to adjust flap angle.

https://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/w ... 11111.jpeg

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-conte ... 067688.jpg
Structural failures or debris strikes?
That appears to be a failure. Both flaps broke exactly in the same spot, on the adjuster pivot point.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

zibby43
230
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by zibby43 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:21 am

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:38 am
zibby43 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 pm
roon wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm
Look closely and you'll see the upper two vanes broke at approximately the same location on both sides, inboard of the pivoting carrier they use to adjust flap angle.

https://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/w ... 11111.jpeg

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-conte ... 067688.jpg
Structural failures or debris strikes?
That appears to be a failure. Both flaps broke exactly in the same spot, on the adjuster pivot point.
I agree 100%. I guess I was just hesitant to believe, initially, that lightning could strike twice there on such a critical component.

JonoNic
11
User avatar
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by JonoNic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 am

Wouldn't that be the perfect place in the FW to cause some form of deflecting (not the correct term) to decrease drag on the straights? Unfortunately failure was caused by the grippier asphalt caused higher cornering speeds for longer than anticipated in the race.
Always find the gap then use it.

lio007
280
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by lio007 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:32 pm

When did they revert back to last years suspension internals?

old:
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:21 pm
Front suspension internals (via Scarbs):
Image
New, Austria(Thursday):
Image

Godius
231
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 am
Location: NL

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Godius » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Bargeboard detail, via AMuS:

Image

Morteza
1850
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Morteza » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Image

Image

Image
Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach
800
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Sevach » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:16 am

Image

Ricciardo has this at the front to match his skinny RW.

Morteza
1850
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Post by Morteza » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Image
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare