Redbull's 360 degree Virtual Test Track Simulator

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mclarensenna

Redbull's 360 degree Virtual Test Track Simulator

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... simulator/

According to this 2 year old article Redbull are the only team to have this 30 million euro virtual test track with 360 simulator at the time it was published.

Renault and Mclaren have the same engine yet are not even on the same planet as Redbull. Is this the main secret to redbulls success?
Why are Renault and Mclaren not investing in this new technology? Any experts here can elaborate on this technology?

zac510

Re: Redbull's 360 degree Virtual Test Track Simulator

I thought that all of the top teams have this kind of technology.

saviour stivala

“According to this 2 year old article RBR are the only team to have this” not only that article was incorrect, but others had it much before they did, we are here talking about the AVL CAR-IN-THE-LOOP DYNO where the car is actually driven from inside a simulator, some others much before that had a wind tunnel inside their dyno room to simulate air-box fluid dynamics at speed and cooling while the engine was ran on the dyno.

AJI
AJI

I wonder if a Honda powered Red Bull is already running on this setup?
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether Honda can even run an engine paired to a gearbox on a dyno, meanwhile RB have been running an entire car VTT for years...

saviour stivala

I honestly cannot for the life of me imagine that a company the caliber of Honda lacking in any way any technology tools that others might poses when it comes to design, manufacture, testing and validating anything they produce.

AJI
AJI

saviour stivala wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 09:15
I honestly cannot for the life of me imagine that a company the caliber of Honda lacking in any way any technology tools that others might poses when it comes to design, manufacture, testing and validating anything they produce.
They don't build the chassis, so why would they own a full car VTT rig?

saviour stivala

Honda F1 does not build their own chassis and gearbox at present and that’s agreed on, but it is unbelievable that some believe that a company the caliber of Honda may be lacking anything as regards means technology and tools that any of the other three have at their disposal as regards what they produce.

Blackout

IMO this is just a nextgen chassis dyno and no engine is mounted inside. It's a super 7-rig, gearbox and brake testing dyno all in one and it's driven by... the driver. But I dont think it includes the PU.

saviour stivala

Blackout wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 20:09
IMO this is just a nextgen chassis dyno and no engine is mounted inside. It's a super 7-rig, gearbox and brake testing dyno all in one and it's driven by... the driver. But I dont think it includes the PU.
it's an AVL car-in-the-loop dyno and the car is driven from inside a simulator.

Blackout

saviour stivala wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 22:05
Blackout wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 20:09
it's an AVL car-in-the-loop dyno and the car is driven from inside a simulator.
I know, I meant it's controlled by the driver not by computers.
But the real question for me is how that 'car' looks.. how is it built...

saviour stivala

the-car-in-the-loop on the AVL dyno is a complete running car less the wheels, each wheel-hub being mounted on a separate dyno unit, with the car being driven from inside a simulator, simulating a selected race track.

lio007

saviour stivala wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 08:54
the-car-in-the-loop on the AVL dyno is a complete running car less the wheels, each wheel-hub being mounted on a separate dyno unit, with the car being driven from inside a simulator, simulating a selected race track.
And very important, any kind of wings are not allowed.

subcritical71

When I first saw this article and the photo provided I didn't get how the system would work. I get how a >6DoF platform can trick a human's senses into thinking they are going around a racetrack in one of these. I don't get how they can trick physics and get a car to experience the same aero/mechanical loading as going around the track unless it is in some type of centrifuge. Looking more into the company I came across one of their sites which shows a system which is probably a bit closer to what Red Bull are using (vs >6DoF): https://www.avl.com/racing?skipIntro=true.

saviour stivala

In 2003 (3L NA V10 era) FERRARI Paolo Martinelli powertrain boss reported at Vienna international engine symposium that FERRARI in collaboration with AVL were using a car simulator and a powertrain dyno test stand to simulate “all racetrack factors precisely, including road grip on a wide variety of surfaces-on straights and in curves and on wet and dry tracks. The simulations accounts for wind resistance, tyre resilience, cornering capacity and other influence. The program automatically tunes the torque level for the race engine running on the test stand”.